R.I.P. Prince Philip

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

R.I.P. Prince Philip

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:41 pm

A well-lived life. Last of a breed. Once Queen Elizabeth goes it will seem that the 20th C. will fade away. He seemed like the kind of man who could light up a room just by entering it.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: R.I.P. Prince Philip

Postby snaark » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:A well-lived life. Last of a breed. Once Queen Elizabeth goes it will seem that the 20th C. will fade away. He seemed like the kind of man who could light up a room just by entering it.

He seemed like a racist arsehole to me. If that's the 20th century then it can happily fade away; the world will be better for it. The worlds longest running reality TV series jumped the shark a few centuries ago.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 pm

My favourite 2nd favourite Royal with The Boss being #1. No PC bollocks with him though one shouldn't expect any from the old school mill types. I will miss him and his awesome sense of humour.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby sparrow » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:24 am

99 is goddamned impressive. We can all wish, whatever our lives.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:28 am

The very best of Prince Philip.

https://mol.im/a/9455329
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ROB » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:05 am

Entitled asshole.

On a side note, it always perplexes me how much Americans gag for royal cock. A bunch of good people shook that shit off for a reason and a bunch of idiot grandchildren pine for it.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:53 am

ROB wrote:On a side note, it always perplexes me how much Americans gag for royal cock. A bunch of good people shook that shit off for a reason and a bunch of idiot grandchildren pine for it.

Germans have the same bizarre infatuation. Todays tabloids:

https://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/royals/royals/prinz-philip-und-die-groesste-lovestory-der-welt-73-jahre-war-er-an-der-seite-de-76013820.bild.html
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:23 pm

ROB wrote:Entitled asshole.

On a side note, it always perplexes me how much Americans gag for royal cock. A bunch of good people shook that shit off for a reason and a bunch of idiot grandchildren pine for it.

We even make our own royals when we can.
Organized political societies have had royals much longer than they have not had royals and seeing the USA this year I would like to creat deep fake royals to charm, pacify, distract the hoi poloi (and advocate for them as well). Royalty and "Big Men" seem to be an urge, and if we cannot fight it we should aim to control it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:24 pm

[quote="rickshaw92"]My favourite 2nd favourite Royal with The Boss being #1. No PC bollocks with him though one shouldn't expect any from the old school mill types. I will miss him and his awesome sense of humour.[/quote]

I think you’ll enjoy this article, Rickshaw

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/posts ... h-stoicism
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:42 am

Sorry to see him go, was hoping he held out to 100. One of the more interesting lives lived, fleeing revolution as a toddler, a WW2 officer and having a mother that was put in an asylum, but later was a hero for saving Jews in Greece.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:56 am

Cheers Seeks.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ROB » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:48 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Sorry to see him go, was hoping he held out to 100. One of the more interesting lives lived, fleeing revolution as a toddler, a WW2 officer and having a mother that was put in an asylum, but later was a hero for saving Jews in Greece.

And a sister who literally named her child after Hitler.

Fuck me, you people really love eating propaganda.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Sorry to see him go, was hoping he held out to 100. One of the more interesting lives lived, fleeing revolution as a toddler, a WW2 officer and having a mother that was put in an asylum, but later was a hero for saving Jews in Greece.

Jesus christ, you're easily impressed. Lives should be judged on how much people achieve given the cards they were dealt.

If he was, say, a refugee or holocaust survivor and went on the found a billion dollar company, make a great scientific discovery, write a classic novel or even become a world champion hot-dog eater, then sure, I'd say "what a life".

But if he was born an aristocrat, never had a proper job and who's only accomplishments amount to a few anecdotes and occasionally saying racist shit, then I'd say he was a massive underachiever.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:34 am

Kurt wrote: Royalty and "Big Men" seem to be an urge, and if we cannot fight it we should aim to control it.

Agreed.

Evidence would suggest it's a natural urge of populations.

Personally I think the French got royalty right.

I'd add the Russians too, but they like their big men too much.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

ROB wrote:
Kurt wrote: Royalty and "Big Men" seem to be an urge, and if we cannot fight it we should aim to control it.

Agreed.

Evidence would suggest it's a natural urge of populations.

Personally I think the French got royalty right.

I'd add the Russians too, but they like their big men too much.

But then the French went all in on the Napoleons and restored the Bourbons for a bit too.

Maybe we could restore the Spanish Habsburgs? Ugly. Inbred. Sickly. Then when a random uggo is spied in the airport or shopping for hats people could say "wow, hes hideous. I bet he is important"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe