Apparently now Canada is an Authoritarian Shithole

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Apparently now Canada is an Authoritarian Shithole

Postby Kurt » Sun May 22, 2022 4:25 pm

First Oz now Canada.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/21/how-canad ... ian-state/

The author describes himself as a writer about "hidden COVID truths"

On another note, I have found it interesting how the Right Wing English speaking world have adopted each others bits of misinformation, like how US COVID deniers adopted Ayuvedic Urine drinking from Indian right wingers as a way to drink pee and then die.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Apparently now Canada is an Authoritarian Shithole

Postby ROB » Tue May 24, 2022 3:25 am

Took me about 3 minutes to vote out our PM on Saturday.

Love me a bit of authoritarianism.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Wed May 25, 2022 4:10 pm

Mass shootings so far this year:

U.S. 212
Canada 0

The climb to see who has the shittiest country. Or is it simply bait and switch?
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Kurt » Wed May 25, 2022 4:55 pm

sparrow wrote:Mass shootings so far this year:

U.S. 212
Canada 0

The climb to see who has the shittiest country. Or is it simply bait and switch?

Mass death does not equal shittyness here.

My wife's cousin wondered if he should move to the US or Canada from Nigeria and without hesitation we both said "Canada" in perfect harmony.
The only downside is the cold. Nigerians suck at cold. (I'm gonna train them) and the fact that they won't be able to buy property yet as foreigners. The USA lets LLC from the Cayman Islands buy up whole trailer parks and then raise the rents or get evicted....so again that one inconvenience he and his wife will endure is actually part of what makes Canada better than the USA.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Wed May 25, 2022 5:44 pm

It's a little specious to call Canada "authoritarian" but the conspiracy theory is directly linked to Justin Trudeau's decision to invoke martial law to have a few semi-trucks towed away from downtown Ottawa. That, and freezing the bank accounts of anyone who helped fund the protest.

Trudeau was hoping for his January 6th and be branded a hero against those evil anti-vax right wingers but in actuality it was just a bunch of fed up working class blokes and he completely shit the bed in how he handled it.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Kurt » Wed May 25, 2022 6:09 pm

SRR wrote:It's a little specious to call Canada "authoritarian" but the conspiracy theory is directly linked to Justin Trudeau's decision to invoke martial law to have a few semi-trucks towed away from downtown Ottawa. That, and freezing the bank accounts of anyone who helped fund the protest.

Trudeau was hoping for his January 6th and be branded a hero against those evil anti-vax right wingers but in actuality it was just a bunch of fed up working class blokes and he completely shit the bed in how he handled it.

Also Canadian truckers could figure out where to urinate.

Ours could not, so they stayed at that Speedway until the owners kicked them out for being children.

Canada: Their Rebellious Truckers Can Figure Out Where to Pee.

Another reason to choose Canada over the USA.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby sparrow » Thu May 26, 2022 3:46 am

Kurt wrote:Mass death does not equal shittyness here.

Shame that. I watched a bit of your news today,,,talking heads, prayers and thoughts, complete hypocrisy, etc. After of course passing more lenient laws (Abbott, amongst others) on behalf of their benefactors which everyone knows is the NRA. Open carry now in that state, no license required, and that's just this one. Yeah, there's a good plan. Your senators all get rich this way and its occurred to no one to stop that? The greed is laid bare for everyone to see.

Gross.

I also saw a lot more anger from your citizens in a new way today that I hadn't seen before. One wonders when people will have had enough and if they have enough power to challenge it.

Beto O'Rourke may have something here.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/25/politics ... index.html

Certainly not a place to safely raise children.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Kurt » Thu May 26, 2022 11:55 am

sparrow wrote:
Certainly not a place to safely raise children.

In 1995 I was living in The Bronx. This was when The Bronx was just ending its era of being "The Bronx" as in a scary place to live. Two of my friends grew up in the South Bronx and went to school there. I asked them how many of their classmates were murdered.
One guy said one. The other guy disagreed and said the murder victim had dropped out before he was shot.
They asked me how many classmates of mine were murdered. None were while in school but one may have been 2 years after graduation.
How many committed suicide? That was two for me, none for them.
How many died in car accidents? Three for me, none for them.
Hunting accidents? Three (CO poisoning from a faulty heater)
Fishing accidents? Two for me (boat capsized when they got too close to a dam)
Their High School was twice as big as mine so in four years my HS death rate was 20 times theirs (assuming that one guy they remembered was a student when he was shot)
Friends of mine moved to rural areas to raise their kids in a "better environment" but I think they actually put their kids in more danger.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm

SRR wrote: be branded a hero against those evil anti-vax right wingers
He got touted as kind of a messiah because he wasn't Trump. Same with Saint-Ardern from NZ.
Most emperors don't wear clothes, both sides of the spectrum. Think we have elections in 2024, rest assured it'll be a shit-show.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri May 27, 2022 2:57 am

I am not a fan of Trudeau, but I suspect this article involves American culture wars. When Canada makes it to the US media, its not because Canada matters, but that there are some political points to score.

As SRR pointed out, there have been some heavy handed treatment there, including the invocation of the Emergencies Act when the situation was already starting to be brought under control. Politicians needed to look like they were in control when they were not. However I am not sure how many Canadians really care alot of symapathy with the protesters was lost when they shut down the border.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri May 27, 2022 3:32 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I am not a fan of Trudeau, but I suspect this article involves American culture wars. When Canada makes it to the US media, its not because Canada matters, but that there are some political points to score.

Very good point.
When we started admiring Oz and NZ for COVID responses the we started getting Oz as an authoritarian place that was about to be invaded by China.
When they worry we may admire Scandinavian countries for having both health care, paternal leave that can total 6 years or more for any couple, married or not while still being a place where it is easier to start a small business than the USA (and they are better Capitalists too since they allow their businesses to go bust)..we get news stories about "No Go Zones" where Fjord Monkeys must confirm to Sharia Law if they want to walk through some neighborhoods.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe