US people and their guns

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

US people and their guns

Postby sparrow » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:25 am

I just cannot watch your news anymore. It's just so fucking stupid. So many dead. So many kids. Your politicians are are all beholden to business interests, and especially the NRA. Fuck, what kind of country do you want to be?

Because the greed angle you've got going on, it just isn't fucking working.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Re: US people and their guns

Postby gnaruki » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:00 am

Isn't it a little odd that guns have been plentiful in America for years but are just recently becoming a serious issue? Some reasonable gun control legislation could be helpful but there's something else afoot.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:44 pm

gnaruki wrote:Isn't it a little odd that guns have been plentiful in America for years but are just recently becoming a serious issue? Some reasonable gun control legislation could be helpful but there's something else afoot.

It's a multifaceted problem. The AR-15 is just as deadly as other guns but I think it has the macho kind of vibe that weak men tend to embrace. Since men tend to have spun glass egos to begin with, a massacre worthy weapon in the hands of someone who feels insulted is much more dangerous than an AR-15 in the hands of someone who just wants to protect their farm from rampaging feral pigs (which is a thing in many places now)

We could still have them available but what is wrong with a waiting period? I mean, we could have an exception to waiting periods like a feral pig problem, a proven threat like a court ordered protection or something.

One thing I noticed by studying right wingers these days is that these guys are little, delicate flowers. Every movement by people who are not them is seen as an attempt to destroy them. Its been this way since the slave rebellion in Haiti. Abolition movements were seen as a step to massacre white people and now BLM / Antifa is seen as a step to kill white people and come into suburbs and take people's stuff. Waiting periods are seen as "taking away our guns"

I belong to Right Wing news feeds to keep track of conspiracy theories against public transportation becoming more mainstream (right now it is Nazis worried that railways will bring black people to more rural areas and thus their shit will get taken) and it is all fear. I mean it never talks policy it is just "What we are afraid of now" and it is quite centrally distributed. Amp up that fear, make sure people think bullshit is equally plausible to news and soon you have people just shooting people for knocking on doors, believing crime is high in areas where it is not. (like NYC, a low crime paradise where doors do not need to be locked..I lock them of course but the only reason my back door is locked is because of clever raccoons)

Ultimately the cultures in the USA that are easily insulted and therefore prone to violence need to decide to give up their need for their traditional "honor" or restrict the fuck out of guns and have them go back to glove slap and sword dueling.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:08 am

Kurt wrote: Ultimately the cultures in the USA that are easily insulted and therefore prone to violence need to decide to give up their need for their traditional "honor"
Hey! Not cool man, I happen to have a white friend and he only gets violent when he's drunk and looks at his tax bill.
Kurt wrote:or restrict the fuck out of guns and have them go back to glove slap and sword dueling.

Hard enough as is to make any kind of law/rule that excludes more than the under below-average intelligent, some of the willfully stupid, not all that many of the assholes. Add all the ticking eggs, mental issues, personal stuff, this economy ;-) , family life, social media exposure, substance abuse and so on, that kinda stuff can tilt a person in a couple of months. Those all come in all flavors and skin tones IMO.

But seriously, people feeling marginalized getting legal firearms would be the thing I'd advocate for, the rules being the way they are. Probably wouldn't hurt to get organisisised.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby sparrow » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:40 am

gnaruki wrote:Isn't it a little odd that guns have been plentiful in America for years but are just recently becoming a serious issue? Some reasonable gun control legislation could be helpful but there's something else afoot.

When the ten year ban that Clinton put in place expired in 2004 mass shootings immediately increased. Of course all the right wing nonsense and all their gullible followers these days isn't helping. It's making things much, much worse.

https://theconversation.com/did-the-ass ... -us-184430
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Return to Black Flag Cafe