Remain Vigilant, Americans!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Remain Vigilant, Americans!

Postby ROB » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:56 am

So the US just changed their travel advisory to Australia in the wake of the Bondi stabbings.

Rumour has it that this is a sting operation to identify people without a sense of irony.

ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: Remain Vigilant, Americans!

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:14 pm

I am very afraid of stabby Australia.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:01 pm

Now dig up a 2023 stabbing USA map. See what guns solve? Stabbings, that's what.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm

gnaruki wrote:Now dig up a 2023 stabbing USA map. See what guns solve? Stabbings, that's what.

I am in the middle of a transit safety meeting now and Metro North Railroad had a stabbing (minor injuries) in Connecticut.

He had 4 knives on him for "Protection" and he felt threatened by someone who asked him to move his bag.

One guy was caught with a gun after jumping a turnstile. That is actually how the subways catch most concealed guns is they jump without paying.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 pm

Shankers tend to be extremely poor or minors in America. Anyone itching for a violent outburst who can get their hands on a firearm will choose one over blades.

I'm glad the only time I've nearly been assailed by a rando was with a claw hammer. I did miss a public shooting by 20 minutes a few years ago.

In terms of guns in America the horses are well out of the barn and that's the way it's going to be. I don't know how to say that neutrally. It's just how I see it and probably how our laws will work moving forward. From a pragmatic approach we could probably implement some red flag laws and keep gun nuts gruntled. I really don't have a dog in the fight. I don't own any guns and am a helluva lot more scared of shitty drivers in America than shooty psychos.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe