Anti-rape condom

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Anti-rape condom

Postby shivers » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:46 am

South Africa anti-rape condom aims to stop attacks
Wed Aug 31,11:46 AM ET
A South African inventor unveiled a new anti-rape female condom on Wednesday that hooks onto an attacker's penis and aims to cut one of the highest rates of sexual assault in the world.

"Nothing has ever been done to help a woman so that she does not get raped and I thought it was high time," Sonette Ehlers, 57, said of the "rapex", a device worn like a tampon that has sparked controversy in a country used to daily reports of violent crime.

Police statistics show more than 50,000 rapes are reported every year, while experts say the real figure could be four times that as they say most rapes of acquaintances or children are never reported.

Ehlers said the "rapex" hooks onto the rapist's skin, allowing the victim time to escape and helping to identify perpetrators.

"He will obviously be too pre-occupied at this stage," she told reporters in Kleinmond, a small holiday village about 100km (60 miles) east of Cape Town. "I promise you he is going to be too sore. He will go straight to hospital."

The device, made of latex and held firm by shafts of sharp barbs, can only be removed from the man through surgery which will alert hospital staff, and ultimately, the police, she said.

It also reduces the chances of a woman falling pregnant or contracting AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases from the attacker by acting in the same way as a female condom.

South Africa has more people with HIV/AIDS than any other country, with one in nine of its 45 million population infected.

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man. Production was planned to start next year.

But the "rapex" has raised fears amongst anti-rape activists that it could escalate violence against women.

"If a victim is wearing such a device it may enrage the attacker further and possibly result in more harm being caused," said Sam Waterhouse, advocacy co-ordinator for Rape Crisis.

Other critics say the condom is mediaeval and barbaric -- an accusation Ehlers says should be directed rather at the act of rape.

"This is not about vengeance ... but the deed, that is what I hate," she said.
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:48 am

Ehlers, who showed off a prototype on Wednesday, said women had tried it for comfort and it had been tested on a plastic male model but not yet on a live man.

Any volunteers?
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:50 am

Good idea. Perhaps if a guy showed up at the hospital with these barbs on his dick the doc operating would just cut the whole thing off.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby shivers » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:52 am

BWAHAHAHA!

"I'm sorry sir, we did everything we could to save it, but in the end, we had no choice but to amputate."
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:53 am

"Um, hold on Mr. Rapist while I insert this...thing."
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby kilroy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:23 am

serves em right. i just hope any drunken females wearing these things to parties will remind their partners...
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Billy D » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:35 am

First thing my wife said when she saw this:

"Some chick will use this on her boyfriend to get back at him for cheating, then the company will get sued and go under."
Billy D

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:46 am

That gives me an idea.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Pam » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:28 am

I saw this posted on another board a few days ago and my first reaction when I read it was if the rapist has a gun he is probably going to shoot you for causing him pain.

MP007 first reaction was that it will give the rapist the opportunity to sue the victim.

It definitely is a good idea but it will be interesting to see how it works out.
Pam
BFCus Regularus

Postby Slam » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:03 pm

This will probably cause more harm to the female overall. When the male is all fired up and in rage mode, giving him pain just makes him more angry.

This is the main fuck up with womens self defence classes too.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:10 pm

not a very well thought out plan...i hate to be crude, but all the rapist has to do is get a finger in there to check.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:27 pm

A lot of journalists and ngos used to do pre-rape courses before they went on assignment and the courses were meant for men as well as women.
I think it goes without saying that the single most incapacitating way of injuring a man is to grab/kick/punch him in the/by the balls with as much force as you can.

But it isn't that simple of course. It's useless if there is a gun or knife or whatever stuck to your head (or there is a group of men involved) and I suppose the action should be opportunistic,in much the same way that rapists operate. I can accept all the stuff about being pinned down,but the pre-rape courses explain all that and how to create the circumstances that will make such escapes possible.

However I did see CCTV footage of an attempted rape and the clever girl/woman very quickly grabbed his balls and twisted with incredible force and it was amazing to see the speed at which the gorilla went down.The reaction was instantaneous.
Ask any guy.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby redfax » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:01 am

Yup, balls are like the "Emergency Shut Down" button for men. It's amazing what even a grazing blow will sometimes do.
I would suppose the best anti-rape system would be a fake "HIV+" tatto right next to the involved areas? Then again, not in someplace like S.Africa....
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:20 am

Mikethehack wrote: I think it goes without saying that the single most incapacitating way of injuring a man is to grab/kick/punch him in the/by the balls with as much force as you can.
funny, I always thought it was a key jammed into an eye-socket or just punching the Adams apple hard... Saw my brother take out someone like that once accidentally, pretty damned fast. Lucky for him a medic was present.

Call me old-fashioned, but IMO there isn't that much a woman can do about stalking predators in the dark part of town.

When I try and give girls some pointers on inflicting bodily harm, I think the empowerment from that is a bigger factor than the actual options open when being attacked.
Anticipation and a non-submissive posture, baby. Won't do much good when you get rushed prison-style and thrown in a van though...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:22 am

The key trick is well known to some where I live. I was walking home late a few nights last week when I noticed that the girl ahead of me had a bunch of keys held tightly in her hands and she was making sure I could see it as she walked nervously ahead of me (I was wearing a yuppie suit and carrying a laptop in a very yuppie leather briefcase-the amount of gear I was carrying would have made any kind of rapid movement nearly impossible).She lives just across the road from me and we had a ten minute walk together through a very rough area.

I naturally walked over to the other side of the road and walked away ahead at high speed and she suddenly realised that she was being left alone in the same dark scary road and ran to keep up with me.
This happened a few nights in a row last week.But yeah,anticipation is very important. Always look for trouble and you might see it before it sees you.

On the other hand, my GF was followed all the way home from the Tube by a guy who stuck close to her right up to our front door and she was shitting bricks-until it turned out to be our next door neighbour (He lives with his wife and family about 10 feet away from our front door).
You can imagine what would have happened if I had been in her place....
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe