Halliburton hired for storm cleanup

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby goat balls » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:55 am

The Navy has hired Houston-based Halliburton Co. to restore electric power, repair roofs and remove debris at three naval facilities in Mississippi damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

Halliburton subsidiary KBR will also perform damage assessments at other naval installations in New Orleans as soon as it is safe to do so.

KBR was assigned the work under a "construction capabilities" contract awarded in 2004 after a competitive bidding process. The company is not involved in the Army Corps of Engineers' effort to repair New Orleans' levees.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:59 am

Of course they were.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Renard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:00 am

No surprises there.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:49 am

Team Bush
spins the crisis

By KENNETH R. BAZINET
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - The White House worked furiously yesterday to try to convince skeptics it had a grip on unrest in New Orleans and make the case that the federal response to Hurricane Katrina was finally pressing forward with a monumental recovery effort.
Amid the furor over the failure to quickly help those suffering in the aftermath, Bush committed 7,000 more active-duty soldiers and Marines to help hasten evacuations and restore order, starting with New Orleans.

The Pentagon also will send another 10,000 members of the National Guard to Louisiana and Mississippi, and total troop strength will rise to about 40,000.

Another 300 Air Force airmen based in Biloxi, Miss., will return from Iraq and Afghanistan the next two weeks to help their families and join recovery efforts at Keesler Air Force Base, which took a direct hit from Katrina.

"The enormity of the task requires more resources," said Bush, who plans to return tomorrow to the Gulf Coast to view operations. He decided to postpone a meeting next week with Chinese President Hu Jintao. "In America, we do not abandon our fellow citizens in their hour of need."

Still, with critics fuming, Team Bush tried to emphasize some benchmarks, highlighting that the Coast Guard has saved 9,500 victims, evacuated another 25,000 people, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has delivered 6.7 million liters of water and 1.9 million field rations. Amtrak also will soon run four trains a day out of New Orleans.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff tried to blame the feds' slow response on the disastrous breaches in levees a day after Katrina hit, even though various officials now claim they'd warned about the weaknesses in the levees for years.

"The second catastrophe, frankly, added a level of challenge that no one has seen before," Chertoff said.

Bush, however, couldn't disguise his frustration over bureaucratic and organizational problems. "We will complete the evacuation as quickly and safely as possible. We will not let criminals prey on the vulnerable, and we will not allow bureaucracy to get in the way of saving lives," he said, forgoing his weekly radio address for a live, Rose Garden appearance, as well as a meeting with top advisers.

Congressional hearings into the response to Katrina are a certainty this fall, as the list of critics - both Republicans and Democrats - who say the feds were a no-show for days want to know what went wrong.

"If a country knows they're going to be attacked whether by Mother Nature or by terrorists, they must be prepared and it's obvious that the federal government was not prepared," Rep. Gary Ackerman (D-Queens) said.

The Navy announced yesterday that Vice President Cheney's former company, Halliburton, which has handled much of the repair work as well as support services for the U.S. military in Iraq, was hired to restore power and rebuild three naval facilities in Mississippi that were wrecked by Katrina.

Originally published on September 4, 2005

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 3108c.html
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:12 am

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff tried to blame the feds' slow response on the disastrous breaches in levees.

"The second catastrophe, frankly, added a level of challenge that no one has seen before," Chertoff said.

It must be reassuring to know that Homeland Security can only deal with threats that have been 'seen before'. Let's hope that the terrorists don't try anything new.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:24 am

I shudder to think what would happen if Bush tries to screw with Iran. Hezbollah will carry out attacks in the US such as those in London despite all the efforts made to prevent those type of attacks.

It would then be called Homeland Insecurity and would be known as a new type of mental illness besot on Americans and it's allies. Nevermind PTSD.
Sri Lanky

Postby coldharvest » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:32 pm

Just when I think America couldn't possibly take another
Neo-Con inch, Chimpies Crew give you some more.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby redfax » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:10 pm

sparrow wrote:Still, with critics fuming, Team Bush tried to emphasize some benchmarks, highlighting that the Coast Guard has saved 9,500 victims, evacuated another 25,000 people, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has delivered 6.7 million liters of water and 1.9 million field rations.

Not only that, but there are hundreds, perhap thosuands of people out there the rescuers didn't come to late to save. A quite considerable minority...
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:16 pm

Renard wrote:No surprises there.

And worse, they don't bat an eye in bringing them out (Halliburton.)
Now, if the company donates their efforts for free that'd be something else. Wouldn't make a dent in Cheney's checkbook.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: Halliburton hired for storm cleanup

Postby docwatson » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:06 pm

I was hoping this was a bad attempt at humor....
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" - Robert A. Heinlein

docwatson
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:20 pm

Fuck it! I am just going to send Dick and Halaburntme my god damn bank acct and routing numbers. That would be much faster than taxes. Mother Fuck me, when is someone in the government going to stand up to these clowns about this shit?
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:23 pm

Take a gander at this

http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/5y/h/hal

Shit head and co have been helping these folks out that is for sure.
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Re: Halliburton hired for storm cleanup

Postby goat balls » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:10 pm

docwatson wrote:I was hoping this was a bad attempt at humor....

Not humor my friend, just good old fashioned curiousity.

The left-wingers have been conditioned in a pavlovian way to respond to the word Halliburton. In the wake of Katrina, I just wanted to see the response.
Last edited by goat balls on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Why does the political paradigm have to be viewed as right and left....why not backwards and forward?
Sri Lanky

Postby Slam » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:32 pm

Why viewed as two sides?
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe