Anyone been to Rajasthan?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Anyone been to Rajasthan?

Postby lotus » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:27 am

Has anyone been to Rajasthan, India?
Seeking details about where to fly into, current net access there, what to avoid beyond the obvious 'come see my cousin's shop' tout fest. Craving sand in my teeth amidst stinky camels. Heading there at some point and seeking valid info. All I can find on the net are tourist sites that jingle in Hindi...which sounds cool but hope to hear from folks that have been there.

Thank you
lotus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Fly into New Delhi and out of Bombay. Rajasthan is inbetween, take the train, its easiest. Jialsamer is cool, so is Udipur although the latter can be a bit dry.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby NIJ » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:15 am

I'm supposed to be heading to Rajasthan for some camel fair thing. I don't remember when it is though. I'm flying in and out of Delhi.
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Rajasthan

Postby lotus » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:11 pm

Camel Safari....(whining in the background)....I wanna be around stinky camels in the desert instead of boring suburbanville.

"Be careful what ya ask for....bla bla bla." Scotty just beam me there now.
lotus

camel safari

Postby C_HK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:31 am

This info is not current, but given that life seems to change at about the rate of 10:1 (a decade outside of Rajasthan equals a year there), my experiences of 8 years ago are probably still relevant for you.

Pick up a safari in Jaisalmer itself, no need to pre-book. Stay in the old fort, not outside for the sunset flying-carpet experience. It is worth it.

Get the hotel to organise a safari for you and do an overnight (or more). Sleeping in the Thar desert with Indian AF jets flying low overhead right up to the Pak border and peeling off is cool.

Organise to take beer with you. They will think you are nuts, but desert sand is a brilliant refrigerator and after a day on a camel...

Bring spare film to give to the villagers along the way. There is usually a wedding, festival, whatever going on and it can be a great way to grease the invitational wheel.

Seriously consider extra padding as camels are truly painful to sit on. You WILL be doing the horse punch-out scene from Blazing Saddles...
C_HK

Rajasthan

Postby lotus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:37 am

C_HK: thanks. great info. I can see it now: doing the
horse punch out scene in vivid color. Jet noise so rocks and they
sure do like to fly low in India.

Are you IN HK? If so, that's sure the meca of shopping land o rama for all
Western girls raised on mall grazing. Once bought several pairs of
Ann Taylor designer jeans from factory throw outs in HK for what one sock costs in a botique here. Then spent a small fortune mailing them home where I ended up givin' em away. By the time I got home at the end of the year they fit like baggy hood dude pants. Ah the illusion of a bargain. Lucky you though if there...HK is beautiful.

lotus
lotus

Return to Black Flag Cafe