Not a matter of if, just when.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby coldharvest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:37 am

I'm more frightened of a little fish swimming up my wee-wee.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby svizzerams » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:54 pm

Not to worry - the federal gov is on it!!!!! Stockpiling antivirals and working on a vaccine...I'm so relieved
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 pm

Land Rover wrote:BBC is reporting Monday morning that 5 people now dead from bird flu in Indonesia.

More people will die from lightening strikes.

Extremely rare disease + exotic name + media = stupid hysteria
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Land Rover » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:01 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:
Land Rover wrote:BBC is reporting Monday morning that 5 people now dead from bird flu in Indonesia.

More people will die from lightening strikes.

Extremely rare disease + exotic name + media = stupid hysteria

I am extremely afraid of lightening, not bird flu. Thanks.
Omit needless words.
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Read 'The Coming Plague' by Laurie Garrison. A bit old now, but it is the really scary stuff.

Anyone not afraid of some stupid flu killing millions and millions is a goof. (Or a retard.)

Steve
Steve
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lunatock » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:12 pm

Steve wrote:Read 'The Coming Plague' by Laurie Garrison. A bit old now, but it is the really scary stuff.

Anyone not afraid of some stupid flu killing millions and millions is a goof. (Or a retard.)

Steve

Fretting over death? Everybody dies, and someday you will too!
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:14 pm

Lunatock wrote:Fretting over death? Everybody dies, and someday you will too!

Yeah, but I really don't want to go down with 375 million other idiots from a bad case of the runny nose...

Steve
Steve
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:19 pm

Time to invest?

Sydney - An Australian pharmaceutical company said on Tuesday a naturally occurring chemical extracted from oranges can be used to treat HIV and Aids, influenza, SARS and the common cold.

Citrofresh International said Europe's Retroscreen Virology Laboratory had found its Citrofresh bioflavanoid compound to be effective against the HI-1 virus, the human influenza A virus, including Avian influenza or bird flu, the Urbani SARS virus and the human rhinovirus.

It did not say whether the results had been independently verified or whether they would be published.

Shares in the anti-virus treatment developer, with a market value of AUS$20-million (about R95-million), more than tripled to AUS$0,70 per share, prompting a trading halt in its shares as it prepared more information, expected to be released before the market opens on Thursday.

Bioflavonoids are usually derived from citrus fruit rinds
Bioflavonoids are a group of chemical compounds naturally found in certain fruits, vegetables, teas, wines, nuts, seeds, and roots with anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. However, they are usually derived from citrus fruit rinds.

"Retroscreen Virology confirmed that Citrofresh exhibits significant veridical activity against all four viruses tested," the company said in a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange.

Citrofresh, which sells anti-bacterial products for the food industry, provided no details of the results of tests it commissioned from Retroscreen Virology.

Shares in Citrofresh, which could not be reached for comment, were off their highs at AUS$0,535, when the trading halt was imposed, still more than double its AUS$0,21 close on Monday.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby el3so » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:54 pm

Mikethehack wrote: Sydney - An Australian pharmaceutical company said on Tuesday a naturally occurring chemical extracted from oranges can be used to treat HIV and Aids, influenza, SARS and the common cold

wow!
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby kilroy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:58 pm

this gives me an idea. i'll go public with a firm that claims it can cure cancer, wait for stock to shoot through the roof, sell it all for a bundle, and then watch the suckers' faces when they find out vitamin c pills dont really get rid of tumors.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:05 pm

kilroy wrote: i'll go public with a firm then watch the suckers' faces when they find out vitamin c pills dont really get rid of tumors.

what's stopping you?
;-)
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby kilroy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:06 pm

lack of capital. i'm accepting investors, though. you'll get a decent return on whatever you put in, i swear...
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:36 pm

Steve wrote:Read 'The Coming Plague' by Laurie Garrison. A bit old now, but it is the really scary stuff.

Steve

Excellent book, Steve!!! Her follow up "Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health " is also worthy of reading. Avian flu is something that should be paid attention to - the flu pandemic in the 1910's killed a lot of healthy young people - not just the old and infirm, immunocompromised, and very young....SARS/Avian flu are in line with that. And our arsenal of antiviral drugs basically sucks. Viruses are intracellular invaders so drugs created to kill viruses have to be designed to avoid being toxic to the cells that host them as well. Many viruses also mutate rapidly thus the need to constantly reformulate vaccines (i.e. flu annually). HIV mutates even more rapidly thus making a successful virus that can "keep up" unlikely.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:46 pm

svizzerams wrote:Excellent book, Steve!!! Her follow up "Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health " is also worthy of reading

Sorry, the author's last name is Garrett.

I must have had the great Jim Garrison, hero of Oliver Stone's brilliant documentary film 'JFK,' on my mind...

Steve
Steve
BFCus Regularus

Postby Pam » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:38 pm

There were reports of 4 death in Toronto this week. They came on suddenly and all they know is that they are respiratory related.
Pam
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe