Bush has his Carter moment

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Captain_Solo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:28 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:Seriously, we'd all love for there to be an alternative energy source. I'm currently developing a vehicle that runs on the excrement I see posted on this very site. I'll be thumbing my noses at all you fags in your 8 mph solar buggies.

Hehehe, let me know how that turns out. Between all of Tarkan's pro-DeLay posts and everyone else's MoveOn.org-wannabe posts you could found your own little Gulf emirite.
Captain_Solo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Captain_Solo wrote:
Buzzsaw wrote:Seriously, we'd all love for there to be an alternative energy source. I'm currently developing a vehicle that runs on the excrement I see posted on this very site. I'll be thumbing my noses at all you fags in your 8 mph solar buggies.

Hehehe, let me know how that turns out. Between all of Tarkan's pro-DeLay posts

All 0 of them?

I think my post about him was "he should be hung out to dry for stating there was no more fat in the budget to cut" plus a statement that the indictment against him was politically motivated and will fall flat on it's face.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:38 pm

Bush had a Carter moment? You mean he actually worked for peace for 1 second?

Bush is as far away from holistic politics as Christ was from becoming a cowboy.
Sri Lanky

Postby Prodigal Son » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:50 am

The environmental lobby HAS kept out development of oil resources in ANWR and offshore, and I DO think we need to develop them, but not as a gift to the oil companies since the areas in question are "commons" belonging to the US, not any specific company.

And that's the problem with environmental issues. Some people value the commons that ANWR represents as an open space. Some merely see it as a place from which natural resources can be drawn. Usually the Nat.Res. extraction folks win because the concentrated benefits extraction represents makes it easier for them to organize politically. They therefore get the politicians to rewrite the rules allowing them free access to the commons without having to compensate the other users.

I would be perfectly happy with oil derricks going up in ANWR if the oil companies:

A: adhered to strict environmental rules.

and

B: Bought up wilderness land elsewhere and gave it to a wilderness protection group.

Anyway, I say full steam ahead with nuclear power!
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe