Your Favorite Charlie Rose Interview?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Your Favorite Charlie Rose Interview?

Postby Jumper » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:51 am

There are so many, but my favorite recently was with Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Why? Because it gave Charlie some humility. He always interviews the ultra humanitarian/leader/intellectual/artist and I thought it was refreshing to see him actually recognize these guys for what they have done. Specificly for mocking hollywood and actors and I loved it! Who else makes a puppet of Michael Moore, stuffed it full of ham, and blow it up? Vanguards I say, vanguards.
RYP and Mike Hoare are next I say!
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:03 am

Charlie Rose? How loquacious can one man be? They guy likes to hear himself talk. You know an inverviewer is an overstuffed bore when the questions and prefatory jabber take up more time than the answers.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

unfortunately

Postby mamie » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:33 pm

i haven't seen many good interviews because most interviewers annoy the shit out of me or interview vacuous airbags. the problem with charlie and most of the others is he likes to ask questions he already thinks he knows the answer to or will try to lead his subject in such a way as to the answer he wants. i saw him interview viggo mortensen recently about his new movie "A History of Violence". the movie itself looks pretty interesting. i don't find actors all that fascinating because i see them as vessels twice removed. they are where they are because hopefully they are good at what they do, which is to create the vision or utter the words of a vessel only once removed. this is why i find the interviews with any sort of writer or director much more stimulating. once viggo started in about the UN, i totally lost interest. yesterday i stumbled upon an interview he did with a female author i had never heard of but i watched it because i was intrigued by her completely natural physical beauty and that she chose books and a quiet life in spite of her looks. i enjoyed listening to her speak and thankfully charlie shut up most of the time while she was doing so. her name was zadie smith and the book she authored is called "On Beauty". i think i'll give it a read. i also remember an interview he did with tim rice and andrew lloyd weber that was good and one with martin scorsese.

did anyone see the documentary scorsese did on bob dylan? although bob is one of those guys i hate to love because his work is so beautiful, vicious, and hopelessly depressing, i must say that the concert footage of him in the 60s absolutely thrilled me. the interviews, however, were ridiculous. i don't think he knew the answers to the questions they were asking him. it looks like he does what he does and that's about all there is to it.

south park. i'm not proud to say that i like this show and it's low tech low brow humour, but i do. sometimes it doesn't do it for me and i'll turn it off. actually, it reminds me alot of the BFC. funny, intelligent, and clever post adolescent males gone completely mental and trying like hell to take me with them. i loved the episode where there was a smackdown between Jesus and Satan and everybody in the whole town, including the local priest, had bet on Satan. Jesus is getting the bejesus beaten out of him and the one time he touches Satan, Satan goes down for the count. turns out Satan had put his money on Jesus and took the entire populace for everything they had. righteous and hilarious. what a combination.

okay, i'm done. personally, being publicly interviewed would make me feel very uncomfortable. especially if anyone knew who i was.
mamie

Who are you then?

Postby Jumper » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:11 pm

Who are you then? ha ha. Thanks for that mamie, I will have to check that author out.
Feral Jundi

Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:19 pm

I liked the one where he leaned across that big wood table in the dark room and eagerly lobbed softball after softball while smiling in puppy-like adoring admiration at the author/humanitarian/minority artist/washed-up pop star sitting across from him.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Actually an interviewer that is.....

Postby Jumper » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:25 pm

I actually think that he gets more out of the guest because of his approach. If the interviewer is attacking and offensive, then the subject will shut down and not really give a good interview. You might like watching him tear the individual apart, but is it effective at really finding out the truth?
Feral Jundi

Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:29 pm

In my opinion, Charlie Rose is a really tough interviewer.

Sincerely,

Connie Chung
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Mike Heenan » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:24 pm

I like the one he did with Robert Evans on the Simpsons.
Mike Heenan
BFCus Regularus

Postby jonas » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:36 pm

Ashley Judd...for no other reason than I think she is very hot. I know..I know...
jonas
BFCus Regularus

Postby fish-e » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:57 pm

Kanye West was pretty funny. Overstuffed, over educated, verbose & precocious white man tries to understand overstuffed, over educated, verbose & precocious black urban youth. The ego inflation threatened to pop all over the screen like runny viscous slime.
-just-keep-moving-
fish-e
BFCus Regularus

Postby Prodigal Son » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:14 pm

I was impressed by the interview CR did with the Rock -- yes, that's right, the Rock. Good interview.
Prodigal Son
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:35 pm

He did an interview with Hannah Pakula after she had written
'The Last Romantic' about Queen Marie of Roumania.
Fascinating and informative social intercourse.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

how's about oprah?

Postby mamie » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:00 pm

oprah was doing an interview with Wynnona Judd who's promoting her new book. it seems that Wyn's developed this theory about how shopping and eating too much leads to poverty and obesity. i'm having a very difficult time grasping this concept so i, like so many of my ilk, will shell out any amount of money Borders requires in an effort to change my fat brokeass life while simultaneously providing Ms. Judd with more money for eating and shopping.

her next book will be entitled "Vicious Circles".
mamie

Return to Black Flag Cafe