footage of dprk beating

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

footage of dprk beating

Postby kilroy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:21 am

from oranckay's blog
-------------------------------------------------------------

Free North Korea Broadcasting (FNK, 자유북한방송) has a series of stills from video footage of a woman being beaten at a North Korean guardpost on the Chinese border, one of which you see above.

The woman is described by FNK as having worked 8 hard years in China before being caught making her way back into North Korea. I’d known there are North Koreans in China who return to the North voluntarily and I’ve heard pro-Northerlies actually tell me that NK doesn’t mind people going to China and later returning, because the foreign currency they bring with them helps the economy. Maybe they mean “bring with them so border guards can take it all.”

FNK says that the aproximately 25 minute video footage will be shown by a Japanese broadcaster in mid-October, but at the end of the link there is some audio you can listen to if you can stomach it. If not, at least have yourself a look at the stills.

Given what I saw in South Korea back during the governments ruled by the Grand National Party under different names, what the LAPD has been caught on video doing, that I have had blood drawn by South Korean riot police and all the truly unimaginably horrific things you hear about North Korean prison camps, this incident does not horrify me quite as much as the thought of what situation the woman might be in right now and what they’ll do to whoever installed the hidden camera that took the footage if they catch him. Good work, whoever you are.

UPDATE: For some strange reason my former employer, the Chosun Ilbo, has stills of much better quality, though not as many. And you get the bonus of English captions.

That is why, by the way, I don’t do more posts about North Korea in general and the human rights issue in particular. Everyone else does a much better job. But hey, I’m the first to tell you about the audio clip, right?

------------------------------------------------
just a quick note. FNK is obviously biased against the dprk, and it's kinda hard to verify how much of their description is accurate. nontheless, it's kinda hard to imagine what the woman could have done to merit such a beating.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby jamesy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:25 am

Thanks for bringing this up here.

I want to reiterate what you are saying here. If anyone is in doubt — if anyone is unsure about the brutality of the DPRK regime — let them understand that what you see here is like a day at the park compared to what these people endure in the torture camps, where they are sent for the smallest of transgressions.

My God, the North Koreans daily experience hell. We should all stop and have a moment of silence for them.

J/
jamesy
Aiden of Lindisfarne

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:48 pm

So, DPRK is China's Mexico?
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Captain_Solo » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:51 pm

Don't these people need to be liberated? Where are our resident neo-con interventionists? North Korea has nuclear weapons and makes Saddam's repression look like cakewalk. So why does North Korea get carrots, while Iraq (and Iran) got sticks?
Captain_Solo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:53 pm

Because North Korea has a very sizable army, as do the neighbors to the north who may intervene, in a show of "communist solidarity" when they get worried about who's moving in next door.

As a side note, anyone see the Korean movie J.S.A.?
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby britneyfan97 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:10 pm

solo, what carrot has NK gotten from the US?

for a war that around 50 years ago, anyone working on the DMZ has a story about NK troops throwing rounds downrange while ETOH.
Proud of being first in the schools history to set a Government vehicle ablaze at Army Military Police Special Tactics Training Center.
britneyfan97
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Texas Carnie Roadshow wrote:So, DPRK is China's Mexico?

pretty much. i think china has a few 'mexico's though.

As a side note, anyone see the Korean movie J.S.A.?

yup. i thought it was a really great flick, except for the end. at the end of the chick's interview with the soldier when she dropped the discrepency between his story and the NK dudes story, i was expecting some kaiser soze shit to go down. totally didnt expect what happened next, but i was like, "well shit, that was sucky."

park chan wook does some interesting shit. ever get around to 'oldboy'?
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe