photos of north korea's 'mass games'

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

photos of north korea's 'mass games'

Postby kilroy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:22 am

when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby spicymos » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:10 am

very cool photos. i'm currently in the process of securing a visa through Beijing to enter North Korea a couple weeks from now. Will any other BFCers be visiting next month for the temporary lifting of restrictions on US tourists?
spicymos
BFCus Regularus

Postby jamesy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:01 am

There's never really been any official restriction on US tourists, only selective filtering of suspicious parties. For a long time you have been able to get into DPRK on tourist visas (on a tightly monitored tour) through the Manchurian city of Yanbian. It's the South Koreans who have had the most difficulty getting in until recently.
jamesy
Aiden of Lindisfarne

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:42 pm

For some reason, I thought they looked like Santa

"Deal Reader says you must appraud"

A true sign of evil
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby spicymos » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:55 pm

jamesy wrote:There's never really been any official restriction on US tourists, only selective filtering of suspicious parties. For a long time you have been able to get into DPRK on tourist visas (on a tightly monitored tour) through the Manchurian city of Yanbian. It's the South Koreans who have had the most difficulty getting in until recently.

interesting, i'd never heard that before. but exactly how would you get this visa through manchuria? some kind of black market/bribe? im going next month through koryo tours based out of beijing. pretty straight-forward operation. I pays the money, i gets the visa. other than securing a chinese visa and filling out forms to prove im not a spy, it's not too much of a hassle.

but i still feel pretty special to be going to the north. we get to see the mass games :)
spicymos
BFCus Regularus

Postby jamesy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:57 am

It's been a few years since I was there. We went on tour to Najiin-Sanbong in the northeast on the ocean, which at that point was an experimental free-trade zone. We secured visas through a local Yanbian travel agent hooked into the DPRK network. It was US$300.00 for 2 days/ one night. We were there on business, and wanted to survey the infrastructure. I frankly dont remember where the travel agent office was, and our contact is long gone. I recommend just doing a web search for DPRK tours? Also try here: http://www.koryogroup.com/ ....post here if you need any more suggestions.

J/
jamesy
Aiden of Lindisfarne

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:03 am

If ever there was evidence we should stomp the PRNK into the ground I would say this is it.
The starvation, beatings, and secret police I can understand.
TCB.
Mass running and holding flowers is just wrong, dressing up as
Santa with a ribbon-stick doesn't make it any righter.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby El Presidente » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:18 pm

Sounds like a real party. Where do I get my visa again?

I thought almost all the North Koreans starved to death, suprised they have people left to do these things.
El Presidente
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:31 pm

It's like DPRK's version of up with people. I think they kidnap them from ROK's drama camps. How do they fit them all in those little submarines?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Return to Black Flag Cafe