Chinese general warns of nuclear risk to US

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Moosehead » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:35 am

Okay... stop me if you've heard this one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/china/story/0 ... 54,00.html

Jonathan Watts in Beijing
Saturday July 16, 2005
The Guardian

A senior Chinese general has warned that his country could destroy hundreds of American cities with nuclear weapons if the two nations clashed over Taiwan.
Major general Zhu Chenghu, a dean at the National Defence University, said he was expressing a private opinion, but his comments, the most inflammatory by a senior government official in 10 years, will fuel growing concerns in Washington about the rise of China.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking at a lecture arranged by the foreign ministry and attended by several foreign correspondents on Thursday, Mr Zhu said China was prepared to initiate non-conventional warfare over Taiwan. "War logic dictates that a weaker power needs to use maximum efforts to defeat a stronger rival," he was reported as saying by the New York Times.
"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition on to the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons."

Echoing threats last made in 1995, Mr Zhu, who has a reputation as a hawk in Chinese military circles, said his country was ready to sustain heavy casualties in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and other heavily populated areas.

"We Chinese will prepare ourselves for the destruction of all of the cities east of Xian," he said. "Of course, the Americans will have to be prepared that hundreds of cities will be destroyed by the Chinese."

Although Mr Zhu said war was unlikely, his proposal that China should adopt a first-strike nuclear option against the US will alarm the Pentagon.

China tested its first atomic bomb in 1964, but it claims that its arsenal of nuclear weapons is the smallest among the five nations on the UN security council.

According to a recent article in the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, China has only 18 intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to the US mainland. Most sit in their silos unarmed.

However, US intelligence predicts that over the next 15 years, China will expand its IBM force to 75-100 strategic nuclear warheads targeted primarily at the US. They will be mounted on a new mobile solid-fuel rocket, the Dong Feng-31, and, possibly, miniaturised for launch from China's submarine fleet.

The US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, recently expressed concern about Beijing's growing military power. Such strategic fears come at a time of rising Sino-American tensions over the bilateral trade deficit and competition for global energy resources.

The Chinese government refused to comment on Mr Zhu's statement, but in recent weeks the state-run media has carried several articles rebutting US claims about a military build-up. Earlier this month, Major General Ding Jiye, head of the finance office of the People's Liberation Army, said the 12.6% rise in defence spending this year was in line with economic growth and was mainly used to improve the living conditions of soldiers.

The China Daily, the English-language paper aimed at an overseas audience, focused on the planned reduction of 200,000 military personnel from the 2.5 million-strong army by the end of this year.

Analysts say China has learned from the collapse of the Soviet Union that it would be economic suicide to attempt an arms race with the US.

But there are still risks of a clash over Taiwan, a self-governing island that China considers part of its territory and the US has vowed to protect.

The president of the European commission, José Manuel Barroso, urged his hosts yesterday to resume dialogue with Taiwan before 2008.

"This will also greatly advance China's international standing and reputation as a global player with a particular responsibility for peace and security in east Asia," said Mr Barroso, who was on his first official trip to China.
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Moosehead
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jimbo » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:12 am

Zhu Chengdu should concern himself more with a possible bird flu outbreak instead....
Jimbo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:12 am

China doesn't have to nuke anybody,
all they have to do is wait.
Taiwan already is China and a little bit of paper work won't change that.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby lightstalker » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:10 am

The Chinese are having a laugh.they like to screw with american heads.....just because they can.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby Tarkan » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:33 pm

We have a lot more canned sunshine than they do.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:04 pm

could you sell me some?
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:07 pm

soulohio wrote:could you sell me some?

I could, but Customs has been giving me grief about the import/export permits. Right now, we only offer one way delivery, no returns accepted.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Outkast » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:51 pm

A more real threat from the land of Mao would be illegal bootlegging of products of all kinds...
<i>Homo-janai!!!</i>
Outkast
Resident Zionist Puppet

Postby Moosehead » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:26 am

"We are tired of trading with the Chinese! We can make our own Nike's thank you very much! We don't need some derelict bunch of communists controlling our economic policy!"

"Raunch se missiles."
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Moosehead
BFCus Regularus

Postby El Presidente » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:15 pm

Typical Chinese saber rattling.
El Presidente
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe