International Cell Phone

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

International Cell Phone

Postby G-Ritt » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:20 pm

Been thinking about getting an international cell phone for awhile now. Does anybody know of a good phone and service, possibly without an outrageous price. Where to buy as well.
G-Ritt

Postby globalskyjunkie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Get a tri-band phone and have it unlocked. T-mobile will do it in the states if you have had their service for at least 90 days.

Personally, I paid someone a few euro in Ireland and they unlocked my phone in about 20 minutes.

Once it is unlocked (meaning you can now put any SIM card in and it will work, not just the SIM card from you current service) I usually buy a local pay-as-you-go service. You usually have to buy the sim cards in town, but Vodaphone has a booth in Terminal 1 at Heathrow. Then just buy the credits you need. Vodaphone also gives you free incoming calls.

Where are you going and for how long? That is a big factor in what kind of service you may want.

Oh yeah, check e-bay for unlocked tri-band mobile phones. That is another cheap route to go.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa
globalskyjunkie
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:12 pm

but don't you have to have a phone number? how does that work...i mean, you get a phone and a sim card, but where does the phone number come from and who gets to charge for the number? does your number change when you get sim cards from different providers in different countries? i am in the us of a but would like a phone with global capabilities...
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe