Bali Blasts

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bali Blasts

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:17 pm

About 8:30 PM Oct. 1/05 3 blasts have gone off in Kuta and a nearby beach. 19 dead so far.

Anyone on the ground there? I think shivers was there a while back.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:19 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/indonesia

By WAHJOE BOEDIWARDHANA, Associated Press Writer
14 minutes ago

BALI, Indonesia - Bombs exploded almost simultaneously Saturday in two tourist areas of the Indonesian resort island of Bali, killing at least 19 people and wounding 51 others, police and hospital officials said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The victims included at least two Americans.

The blasts at Jimbaran beach and a bustling outdoor shopping center in downtown Kuta "were clearly the work of terrorists," police Maj. Gen. Ansyaad Mbai, a top Indonesian anti-terrorism official, told The Associated Press.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alessandro » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Swedish media claim 32 dead, I expect the death toll to rise unfortunatly...
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:20 pm

Two of my best mates have just gone down there on a surf trip. It was their frist night, so chances are they'd have been in Kuta at the time - shit.
I left Djakarta that morning - out for Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby Alessandro » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:49 pm

They got any Thuraya´s with them?
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:51 pm

No - they're surfies. All they'll have with them apart from their boards are a a lighter and a pack of rizlas.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby waylonwally » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:52 pm

it's a shame that the terrorists do not understand the unique qualities of the beautiful island, the blow them all up, all the same. why can't these assholes blow up some place else?
waylonwally

Postby Tarkan » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:53 pm

What are the odds that it was Pat Robertson extremists behind this one once yet again?
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby SeanPatrick » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:19 am

I'm sure this Fruit Loop(The Man behind Bali Blast 1) is grinning in his prison cell...
SeanPatrick
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:12 am

Just been told to pack my medi-gear up, off to pick up a pack of people from Indonesia and take them to Singapore. I'll see if I can get some first hand accounts off them (in a concerned, caring, un-prying manner of course).
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby Pam » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:23 am

I hope they are both ok. I have a cousin who has friends there. I am hoping he is not visiting there at the moment.
Pam
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:47 pm

Yep. I was there this summer, though I spent very little time in the resort areas. This really bums me out. Though I doubt anybody I personally know was caught up in the death and destruction, people I do know and care about will suffer the economic effects.

While most people would be frightened away, I want to return. I guess I'm just starting to understand the real reason people like RYP go back to a DP. It's not about the thrill of knowing you might die a violent death. It's about knowing the people who have no choice but to live in a dangerous place.
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Johnno » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:04 pm

I just like traveling but hate tourists so that makes places that are dangerous to fools attractive to me. 2 bombs is a couple years does not make bali dangerous, but the effects on its tourism industry are bound to be devastating. The sad thing is many of the people who will now not go there for a holiday, are probably at greater risk anytime they get behind the wheel of a car than they would be on holiday in bali.
Johnno
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:05 am

Checking in from Sri Lanka - flew out a plane load of people from Indo up to Singapore. Nothing much to add - just that everyone kept telling them it was only an accident. Still waiting to hear from my mates.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

I blame the attack on Bush

Postby Jumper » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:52 am

I think it is all Bush's fault! He caused this. He makes me so angry..... errrrrr.

Pay attention people. This is your most honorable enemy, yet again, killing inocent people. Notice we dont have to make up anything about these fruitloops in order to demonize them? Fuck, they demonize themselves, how convenient. Every time they do this stuff, Iraq just seems to be more and more of a better idea.

I can see what they are really trying to do, they need a new warzone. The desert is so pase', so why not switch the battlefield to Bali? There is good surfing and R and R in Bali and the accomodations and food is great! I vote we pick up all of our stuff in Iraq, and move it to Bali to fight there. Why must we continue to fight in absolute shit holes? Next stop, Cancun or perhaps at Magic Mountain in Southern California?
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe