Moral Dilemma

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Moral Dilemma

Postby ROB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:33 am

A Moral Dilemma

Here's a dilemma for you... With all your honor and dignity what would you do? This test only has one question, but it's a very important one.

Please don't answer it without giving it some serious thought. By giving an honest answer you will be able to test where you stand morally.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation, where you will have to make a decision one way or the other. Remember that your answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous. Please scroll down slowly and consider each line - this is important for the test to work accurately.

You're in Florida...In Miami, to be exact. There is great chaos going on around you, caused by a hurricane and severe floods. There are huge masses of water all over you. You are a CNN photographer and you are in the middle of this great disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless. You're trying to shoot very impressive photos. There are houses and people floating around you, disappearing into the water. Nature is showing all its destructive power and is ripping everything away with it.

Suddenly you see a man in the water, he is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken away by the masses of water and mud. You move closer. Somehow the man looks familiar.

Suddenly you know who it is -- it's George W. Bush!

At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him away, forever. You have two options. You can save him or you can take the best photo of your life. So you can save the life of George W. Bush, or you can shoot a Pulitzer prize winning photo, a unique photo displaying the death of one of the world's most powerful men.

And here's the question (please give an honest answer):

Would you select color film, or rather go with the simplicity of classic black and white?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:47 am

Yay!
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

How about this

Postby Jumper » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:09 am

Or you could save his life like a real human being. Then after saving his life I am sure he would love to hear how you would run things differently if you were President of the United States of America.

I suppose you also blame the bombing in Bali on Bush as well? Yep, ol Bush killed your fellow man, not terrorists. Evil Bush, bad evil Bush. (there are so many "B"s in this last paragraph, it is not even funny)
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:30 am

um... yeah... guess you could do that too

*backs away slowly*

*makes no sudden movements*
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Johnno » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:46 am

Are you Australian? If you are tell me what has Bush done that is not backed by the elected government of Australia that has had enough effect on you to give you the right to mock and abuse him? Certainly any elected leader cops some shit from everywhere but Aussies starting threads abusing the president of the US on an international forum seems a little much to me.
Johnno
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 am

Oh, fer fuck sake.

It was a fucking joke.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:56 am

Here's another one so you don't have to cry yourselves to sleep at being so affronted.

How You Can Help

A Moral Dilemma

I have a moral question for you. This is an imaginary situation, but I think it is fun to decide what one would do. The situation: You are in the Middle East, and there is a huge flood in progress. Many homes have been lost, water supplies compromised and structures destroyed. Let's say that you're a photographer and getting still photos for a news service, traveling alone, looking for particularly poignant scenes. You come across Osama bin Laden who has been swept away by the floodwaters. He is barely hanging on to a tree limb and is about to go under. You can either put down your camera and save him, or take a Pulitzer Prize winning photograph of him as he loses his grip on the limb. So, here's the question and think carefully before you answer the question below:
|
|
| (arrow down)
|
|
|
|
|
V
Which lens would you use?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Johnno » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:20 am

No I would rescue him so he could be interrogated which would most likely allow other lives to be saved when his network could be unravelled, and whats more having him paraded on tv as a whimpering prisoner might make some terrorists wannabes think maybe allah is not as supportive of bin laden as they once thaught, hence saving more lives.

But i do appreciate your effort
Johnno
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:37 am

Johnno wrote:No I would rescue him
I'd do the same, but only for the reward money.

Year after that, I'd just buy all the Pulitzer and other prices I'd want. Buy myself a knighthood too while I'm at it. Maybe even get the scentific comunity to name some small animal after me...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Arctic » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:51 am

Johnno wrote:

Certainly any elected leader cops some shit from everywhere but Aussies starting threads abusing the president of the US on an international forum seems a little much to me.

Indeed. It is unacceptable. Only us Arabs have the right to rant at Bush.

ROB, I'll thank you to limit your criticisms to Australian politicians in future, or I will report you to the moderators.
Eh?
Arctic
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:19 am

The Dp Internet Standards Coordinating Officer, DISCO has been alerted to this base infringement of internationally recognised internet etiquette.
Criticising a foreign politician has long been looked upon as an internet crime as you are well aware ROB, although seeing as this is a first offence we may not seek the death penalty.
As a public service, the DISCO will once again remind you of the internet rules:

1: Criticism of politicians is considered bad form. Unless he/she is European/Canadian/Democrat or found in a spider hole.

2: See rule 1.

Should either of these rules be breached, the DISCO will be informed and you will be issued with an Immediate Notification of Failed Etiquette Requiring Neccessary Obliteration.

ROB - You've just been DISCO INFERNO'd. Have a nice day.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby ROB » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 am

I plea No Contest

Indeed, it very rarely is a contest when Johnno tries his hand at debate.

PS - (i almost forgot to add) that's a joke too.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Johnno » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:05 pm

hilarious stuff. I have no comeback... oh hang on there is always the old faithfull:

you are!
Johnno
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Would you select color film, or rather go with the simplicity of classic black and white?

I would 'open myself' to the moment so that the experience
could be turned into a series of interpertive dances and poems
that would be included in a touring one man performance piece.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:21 pm

I would save George W. Bush and ask him what he did that made Cheney push him into the water.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe