It's the fucking Kinder Kid! Alive and writing!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

It's the fucking Kinder Kid! Alive and writing!

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:08 pm

The little rat-bastard who has been haunting my waking hours (and my dreams as well) is in fact still breathing. He's even writing books now. And he mocks me.

A person dear to me, and unaware of my Kinder Kid obsession, sent me this article as a joke because they thought it was creepy. Now I'm fucking dying here.

Have the very gates of Hell been opened? Are these really the last days?

Steve

Kinder child comes out as a man

Guenter Euringer in 1973, and today
The German boy who has been the face of Kinder chocolates for 32 years has finally revealed his identity.
Guenter Euringer, whose dazzling smile has helped sell millions of boxes of chocolate bars, is now 42 and ready to talk about his secret life as an icon.

His autobiography, The Chocolate Child, was launched in Munich on Tuesday.

The question he is always asked is how much he earned for the advertisement - and the answer, he says, is just 300 Deutschmarks (150 euros or £100).

In 1973 his mother, who worked for an advertising agency, took the 10-year-old Guenter to a photo shoot in Munich, southern Germany, where they lived.

Guenter's hair was long in 1973 - later it was airbrushed out
They had no idea that he would become the face of the Kinder brand for three decades.

In the book he says that he felt proud the first time he saw his picture in the supermarket.

But as a teenager he did not want to be identified with the angelic image and avoided talking about the subject.

More than anything, he got fed up with being asked about the money - especially as most people assumed the picture had made him wealthy, or that he received a payment for every box of Kinder chocolate bars sold.

He still lives in Munich with his wife and two children, and works as a cameraman and film-maker.

Curiously, Mr Euringer's face has begun to be replaced on Kinder chocolates in Switzerland in recent weeks.

Mr Euringer himself speculates that he is being phased out because he has dropped his anonymity.

But the food company Ferrero, which owns Kinder, says this not the case.

"In this respect Mr Euringer is misinterpreting things," a company spokeswoman told the BBC News website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4308932.stm
Steve
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:16 pm

Well, all I can say is that this guy has aged more gracefully from age 10 to 42 than Britney Spears has aged from 16 to 23 (see pics at Spears autions off undies thread).
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

fucking Kinder Kid

Postby el3so » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 pm

Steve wrote:The little rat-bastard who has been haunting my waking hours (and my dreams as well) is in fact still breathing. He's even writing books now.
So this isn't an article of yours, Steve???

Man, that would be creepy.
There's too much eye- and teethwhite in his face to be natural is all I'm saying.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:42 am

You're getting soft Steve. I have Swiss cousins and all the boys look just like that. It's a Euro thing. Not to mention they try and kiss you when greetings are in order.

You think a candy bar is bad? Try walking down the isle of one of thier supermarkets someday....really weird. If that doesn't make you insane then you're either dense or one of them.

I've never seen the brand before but recognized the kid instantly.

Regards,
Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Arctic » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:18 am

Anyone remember the tv ads they ran for those chocolate eggs (which, incidentally el3so, I love) on British television in the 80s? That ugly, mumbling anthropomorphic egg-man hybrid, sitting on the fence? Supposed to be Humpty Dumpty or something.

I'd take the Damien kid any day of the week, even if he does look like he's calculating whether or not he could get to my jugular with those white teeth of his fast enough.
Eh?
Arctic
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe