Pol Pot menu too much to swallow

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Pol Pot menu too much to swallow

Postby Royal » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:43 pm

Couldn't make this stuff up ...................
Where's their nearest business school?

Pol Pot menu too much to swallow in Cambodia
Staff and agencies
By Ek Madra

PHNOM PENH - A new Cambodian cafe is offering diners a slice of life under the Khmer Rouge , with a menu featuring rice-water and leaves, and waitresses dressed in the black fatigues worn by Pol Pot‘s ultra-Maoist guerrillas.
Newly opened across the road from Phnom Penh‘s notorious Tuol Sleng "S-21" Khmer Rouge interrogation and torture centre, the cafe is meant to remind Cambodians of the 1975-1979 genocide in which an estimated 1.7 million people died.

But the set "theme menu" of salted rice-water, followed by corn mixed with water and leaves, and dove eggs and tea at $6 a time is proving too much to swallow for many visitors.

"Our grandfather and other relatives lost their lives under Pol Pot‘s regime," said 17-year-old manager Hakpry Agnchealy, whose brother owns the business. "This is more than just a restaurant. It is to remind us of those who died."
"We opened two weeks ago, but have only had two Europeans coming here to eat. We don‘t know how much longer we can go," she said.

Faithful to the Khmer Rouge era, when many victims starved to death after a disastrous attempt to transform the country into a peasant utopia, the waitresses are barefoot and clad in the black pyjamas and red-white scarves of the guerrillas.
Speakers blare out tunes celebrating the 1975 toppling of U.S.-backed president General Lon Nol and the walls are adorned with the baskets, hoes and spades Pol Pot hoped would power his jungle-clad south-east Asian homeland to communist prosperity.

Recognising that many tourists might not be able to stomach such a close brush with the Killing Fields, the "Khmer Rouge Experience Cafe" is also promoting itself to those wishing to shed a few pounds.
"It‘s good for me to slim down," said Tan, a 40-year-old Malaysian visitor.

For some who survived Pol Pot‘s rule, the cafe served up too many chilling reminders of one of 20th century history‘s darkest chapters.
"My mother visited me here once, saw the Khmer Rouge style and has never come back again," Hakpry Agnchealy said.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:11 pm

But the set "theme menu" of salted rice-water, followed by corn mixed with water and leaves, and dove eggs and tea at $6 a time is proving too much to swallow for many visitors.

I think I will stick to the happy pizza.

the waitresses are barefoot and clad in the black pyjamas and red-white scarves of the guerrillas

Sounds kinda sexy
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby mp007 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:39 am

What's next? The Auschwitz Diner? Various impersonations of SS officers serving up Himmler Hot dogs while on rollerskates? The gala banquet hall in one of the showers? One better, The Small-pox Bistro on an Indian reserve, to hit a nerve a bit closer to home.
mp007
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe