Photography Question. Copyrighting Photos

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Photography Question. Copyrighting Photos

Postby Lunatock » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:14 pm

As the subject implies. I'm in the middle of getting a handfull of good photos, and consider them good enough to copyright, and/or see if they could be sold & usefull to someone. Anyone more experienced with earning a living by snapping photos got pointers for that?
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:22 pm

All photographs, like written work, are instantly copyrighted by their creator the second they are made...it's ENFORCING your copyright that is more tricky

I would do this: make some 8x12 prints, and then mail them to yourself. Don't open the envelope when you get it, but store it in a safe place. Then you have a permanant record of the images in a sealed envelope containing a postal date to record when the images were taken. Now your IP position is defensible.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Lunatock » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:All photographs, like written work, are instantly copyrighted by their creator the second they are made...it's ENFORCING your copyright that is more tricky

I would do this: make some 8x12 prints, and then mail them to yourself. Don't open the envelope when you get it, but store it in a safe place. Then you have a permanant record of the images in a sealed envelope containing a postal date to record when the images were taken. Now your IP position is defensible.

Thanks for the info. It couldn't hurt to add that idea to filling out a copyright application. Even though it'd mean at least triple prints of the photos in question.
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Copyright

Postby cbychoice » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:53 pm

A little bit of inconsistancy saves a lot of explanation later
cbychoice
BFCus Regularus

Postby spicymos » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:14 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:I would do this: make some 8x12 prints, and then mail them to yourself. Don't open the envelope when you get it, but store it in a safe place. Then you have a permanant record of the images in a sealed envelope containing a postal date to record when the images were taken. Now your IP position is defensible.

Sorry, but if you live in the US this wont help much. According to the U.S. Copyright Office's official website:
I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what
spicymos
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:16 pm

Disregard my shitty advice, lunatock.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby media » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:36 am

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:22 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All photographs, like written work, are instantly copyrighted by their creator the second they are made...it's ENFORCING your copyright that is more tricky

buzzsaw is correct. I have to deal with it all the time when someone has home video or stills that we need to use. If only seconds old I still need a written or strong verbal agreement with the author before I can air them.
Send Lawyers Guns and Money...
media
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:00 am

There are three ways to copyright photos effectively. First of all make sure the photo is transmitted with full copyright and contact info IN the photo (Photoshop can add watermarks, for prints you just stamp them over the image)

Second of all control the distribution. Only work with legitimate companies and provide usage costs with the images. There are a number of books that can help you on this.

Finally always used a messenger or delivery service that shows proof of delivery (like Fedex) that way if they are lost you can claim replacement value.

This way if your photo is used. You can show that a) the photos were clearly marked as copyrighted and b) there was a fee for usage. (you can always negotiate a lower or higher fee but the
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Lunatock » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:00 pm

tagged.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby m4p » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:41 pm

Check out http://www.editorialphoto.com/

A lot of the good info here from photographer's rights advocates.
m4p

Postby Lunatock » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:36 pm

Mucho gracias MP4.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby redfax » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 pm

Then again, if you have the negs, and all the other guy has is a 150X200 .jpg, wouldn't that count?
Mr. Andrea Matranga
andreamatranga.googlepages.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Those who aren't afraid to die for their ideals, can only die once. The others die every day."
Paolo Borsellino, who only died once
redfax
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe