David Frost should be hung.....

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

David Frost should be hung.....

Postby flipflop » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:35 am

Gadzooks!.....that fucking bed wetting coffin dodger "Ol Frosty Bollocks" has succumbed to the dark side, how can he work for Johnny Foreigner like this? Off with his head

Cheers

BBC interviewer joins Al Jazeera

By Howard Kurtz

The Washington Post

David Frost, a veteran BBC interviewer, will host a weekly show on Al Jazeera International.

WASHINGTON — Al Jazeera, which is launching an English-language network with Washington as a major hub, has landed its first big-name Western journalist: David Frost. And the veteran BBC interviewer says he's perfectly comfortable with the unlikely marriage.

"I love new frontiers and new challenges," Frost, 66, said Friday from London. He said the new network, Al Jazeera International, has promised him "total editorial control" and that he had checked out the company with U.S. and British government officials, "all of which gave Al Jazeera a clean bill of health in terms of its lack of links with terrorism."

But the Bush administration has repeatedly denounced Al Jazeera. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has accused the Qatar-based operation of promoting terrorism and "vicious lies" and has banned its reporters from Iraq. The State Department has complained about "false" and "inflammatory" reporting.

Said Frost, who will host a weekly interview program: "For all the people who think it's anti-American, there are various countries in the Middle East who think it's too pro-Western. I would say the jury's out on Al Jazeera. Obviously, we all suffer from the handicap of not being able to sit there and watch in Arabic."

The Thursday announcement of the hiring of Frost, who will continue to work for the BBC, comes as Al Jazeera is looking for a few good Americans — anchors, correspondents and producers — for the network as it prepares to launch early next year. From a nondescript office building on K Street here, where an armed guard staffs the lobby, staffers have been calling television agents about their clients. But a number of those approached, including several well-known performers whose agent would not identify by name, have quickly rebuffed the overture.

"Some are a bit leery," said Nigel Parsons, the former staffer for BBC and Associated Press Television News who is running Al Jazeera International. "There is an image problem to be overcome."

Al Jazeera's reputation wasn't helped when a Spanish court last month sentenced former correspondent Taysir Alouni to seven years in prison on charges of collaborating with al-Qaida.

But such developments have not deterred some recruits. Josh Rushing, a former Marine spokesman for the U.S. Central Command in Qatar who was featured in "Control Room," a documentary about Al Jazeera, is joining as a reporter.

Parsons dismisses the U.S. criticism and says Rumsfeld wrongly accused the network of airing pictures of beheadings.

"We're certainly not anti-West or anti-American," he said. Parsons said the network is "not always the first recipient" of Osama bin Laden's videotaped threats, and while it does air what it deems newsworthy excerpts, "it's slightly hypocritical to say we run them and no one else does." As for Middle East coverage, "people forget most Arabs had never seen an Israeli before Al Jazeera, and we allow Israelis to give their side of the story."

At a minimum, Al Jazeera offers a different perspective. Recent stories on its English-language Web site were headlined "Al-Qaida in Iraq says two marines killed," "Israel accused of skewing elections" and "Hamas: U.S., Israel provoking tensions." An article on Alouni says he was the only journalist based in Afghanistan "to show the world what the U.S. war machine was doing to one of the world's poorest countries."

Al Jazeera International plans for the Washington bureau to broadcast four hours of programming each day, with London; Kuala Lampur, Malaysia; and Doha, Qatar, handling the rest of the load.

Parsons sees no problem in hiring the 40 staffers envisioned for the Washington office: "By and large, people have been approaching us. We have well over 4,000 applications for editorial jobs from people who've worked at CNN, BBC, Fox, Sky News and Australian television."

As for salaries, Parsons said, "Some people expect us to be handing out gold bars. We're not awash with petrodollars." He says that while more than half of the network's money comes from the emir of Qatar, the government has never tried to interfere with programming.

Parsons has taken his case to Washington, paying courtesy calls on such skeptics as Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Elizabeth Cheney, the vice president's daughter; and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., who was not convinced.

"They've become a platform for a bunch of nuts and radical Islamists that are damaging to the United States and put our people at risk," Rohrabacher said. "Al Jazeera is anathema to people who believe in responsible journalism. ... It is hate-based reporting."

Clifford May, president of the advocacy group Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, said any American who goes on Al Jazeera "is misguided. He thinks he'll be able to tell the truth. I think he's going to be used and be seen as a useful idiot."

Even without Al Jazeera's controversial reputation, it will be difficult for the new network — which has deals to be carried in Europe, Asia and Africa — to get widespread access to U.S. outlets. "We don't expect to be on in 25 [million] or 30 million homes on Day One," Parsons said. "I'll be delighted if we've got 5 million homes and can build on that."
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:44 pm

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."
David Frost
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby goat balls » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:18 pm

At least the bias will remain the same.

Now the BBC and al Jazeera can spew anti-American and anti-Israeli bias in unison. Maybe they'll only have to write one script per day?

Along with the notorious George Galloway, Frost joins that pseudo-elite class of "Oxbridge" Brits who deem it fashionable to keep their heads tucked far up into their rectums.

How much did he sell out for?
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Captain_Solo » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:59 pm

Now the BBC and al Jazeera can spew anti-American and anti-Israeli bias in unison. Maybe they'll only have to write one script per day?

It is strange, but al-Jazeera only became "anti-American" after 9-11, i.e. it didn't run the Bush administration's party line and thus it must be anti-American. And the brownshirt American nationalist also hate the BBC because it isn't the Bush Brodcasting Corporation (like Faux...Fox News is). Oh, and the BBC is fairly pro-Israel. The right-wing only wants to hear "news" that makes them look good. Anything that might ruin that rosy little picture of noble liberation must be "anti-American". If you can't counter what they are saying just resort to ad hominem attacks or bomb their field offices (I don't believe it was an accident that the al-Jazeera offices in Afghanistan and Iraq were both bombed).

Along with the notorious George Galloway, Frost joins that pseudo-elite class of "Oxbridge" Brits who deem it fashionable to keep their heads tucked far up into their rectums.

Actually George Galloway is one of the few people making sense these days. He is not some wussy John Kerry-type figure who plays to the anti-war movement, but is really just a opportunistic neoliberal. Again the warmonger-party hates him for the same reason they hate BBC and al-Jazeera.
Captain_Solo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:04 pm

(I don't believe it was an accident that the al-Jazeera offices in Afghanistan and Iraq were both bombed).

No, I think you're right there. The guys who bombed them definitely meant to bomb them, dashed bad luck if they didn't

Chee-ars
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Slam » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:10 pm

People who say the BBC spews anti-American propoganda can't be taken seriously. Honestly, is there a more neutral news brodcaster than the BBC?

On a side note: The only US news networks I've seen are CNN, FOX and NBC. They all appear insane. Bad quality flashy graphics all over the fucking place and wierdo presenters that shout all the time. It's like they're trying to be all Hollywood for some reason. As for content FOX News is an absolute joke. Seriously. It's like a parody TV series that should be on Comedy Central.

Is there a 'normal' news network in the US? I think we get ABC News here but I've not watched that yet.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

what

Postby Jumper » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:13 pm

I actually like the show. They are the only ones that will broadcast the atrocities that the insurgents commit in Iraq. Perhaps that is why they were bombed? We haven't bombed them yet, so they must not be that bad?
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Captain_Solo » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Slam wrote:People who say the BBC spews anti-American propoganda can't be taken seriously. Honestly, is there a more neutral news brodcaster than the BBC?

On a side note: The only US news networks I've seen are CNN, FOX and NBC. They all appear insane. Bad quality flashy graphics all over the fucking place and wierdo presenters that shout all the time. It's like they're trying to be all Hollywood for some reason. As for content FOX News is an absolute joke. Seriously. It's like a parody TV series that should be on Comedy Central.

Is there a 'normal' news network in the US? I think we get ABC News here but I've not watched that yet.

That is exactly the difference between the BBC and the American corporate media. The BBC is more about real news, while FOX and MSNBC are more about over-hyped tabloid stories and loud-mouthed political reactionaries talking about things they have no clue of.
Captain_Solo
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Show me an unbiased news organisation and I'll eat my shorts...I'll even rummage around in that middle Chechen mussie mo'fo's beard, I bet he's got a grenade stashed away in it.....

Why is he hiding his balls anyway? Does he need to pee?

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby Captain_Solo » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:18 pm

All right, all right...due to popular complaint I changed the picture. I find the current one more colorful anyway...
Captain_Solo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:04 pm

Just so you know it's "CIRCLE GETS THE SQUARE!!!!!!"
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Bobby Sands » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:37 pm

David Frost is hung? Who woulda thought it? Not that I am one to check out other guys' packages, but I would figured he has an itty bitty.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Monarch » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Slam wrote:Is there a 'normal' news network in the US? I think we get ABC News here but I've not watched that yet.

About the only networks In America you would find comparable to the BBC in America are PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) and NPR (National Public Radio). Both are partially funded by the US government and the rest is from private donations. Similar to the BBC I guess. You get your Sesame Street followed by no nonsense news from these fellas. Frontline is my personal favorite program on PBS.
Monarch
BFCus Regularus

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:52 pm

Frost was the worst thing on the BBC. It was wretched watching him brown-nose the establishment every Sunday morning. He was Tony Blair's favourite interviewer. "Oh yes Prime Minister! You are so wonderful Prime Minister!" Frost got the boot when he became so unbareable that even his legendary networking and brown-nosing couldn't keep him on the screens. He's past it. I fail to see what Al Jezeera would get out of hiring him. Some people should know when to retire.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Frost/al-Jazeera

Postby Vincent » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:22 am

I think the bad thing about this is not the bias of al-Jazerra or David Frost, but the fact that the network is now going for a "personality."

It's not the bias of tv news that troubles me so much as the effort to "jazz it up."

Whenever a network picks up a new anchor, I can't help but think of the CNN gaffe when they hired that woman from Fox and they ran a commercial with the narrative saying that she was "a bit sexy" followed by the sound of a zipper closing. Maybe they will try that tact with Mr. Frost.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe