Iraq and al-qaeda

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Swiss_AK » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:32 am

illman wrote:Well, Dim, I found a couple connections

that New York FBI really believed Iraq was behind the Trade Center bombing .

Is it really that important to make that distinction: the "new York" fbi? maybe the "washington" fbi thought something else.

I noticed john o'neils name in the article..way down at the bottom
...in the bibliography section.
Swiss_AK

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:10 am

illman, providing a long list of people speculating, or saying 'I can't tell you my sources' does not constitute proof.

I could provide more than a few sources on religion. That does not prove God exists.

What were the specifics of OBLs supposed invitation to Iraq? Who invited him? When and why? If OBL was sheltering in Sudan, why didn't the US invade Sudan rather than Iraq?
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Postby illman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:24 am

Well, here are the sources I see ..

ABC news

The National Interest

Court file, US v. BinLadin

The Guardian (UK) X2

The Herald (UK)

Intelligence Bulletin

Al-Nasiriya

Wall street Journal

The Telegraph (UK) X4

PBS.org

Middle East Intelligence Bulletin

CBS News

Worldnetdaily

The Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), December 28, 1999U.S.
Newswire, December 23, 1999
The Observer. December 19, 1999
United Press International. November 3, 1999
Akron Beacon Journal (Ohio). October 31, 1999
The Kansas City Star. March 2, 1999

Los Angeles Times. February 23, 1999
National Public Radio (NPR), February 18, 1999
Agence France Presse. February 17, 1999
Deutsche Presse-Agentur. February 17, 1999
Associated Press Worldstream. February 14, 1999
San Jose Mercury News (California). February 14, 1999
United Press International. January 3, 1999

Washington Post

Frontpagemagazine.com

ummmm, I'm about half way through. Maybe I'll finish later.
illman
BFCus Regularus

Postby illman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:26 am

PS .... Sudan had booted obl. Only 2 countries were actively inviting him after the embassy/Cole bombings.
illman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:25 pm

The same list of sources also said there were WMD in Iraq. Tony Blair said that these weapons could be fired within 45 minutes. This was extensively reported by the media. Asked to provide proof, the authorities provided vague 'evidence' which proved hopelessly inaccurate. They had proof they said, but they couldn't tell us what it was. I see no difference with this claim that AQ and Iraq are linked.

Even the Bush Administration don't claim there was any link between 9/11 and Iraq or that the two were co-ordinating their activities. Of course they like to mention the two in the same breath so people think there's a link but you won't hear them ever make a catagorical link between the two because there is no evidence to support this; only speculation and rumour.

Perhaps there's some truth in it but it will take more than an article in 1999 in the Akron Beacon Journal to convince a public who have been extensively lied to about this conflict.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:25 pm

illman wrote:I don't have the book in front of me. However, the facts and citations are contained in the appendix of the book which can be purchased anywhere for 10 dollars. The book is thoroughly documented (and the commission is definite not pro-
bush).

I've cited to the authority ; if you believe otherwise, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Dim, my boy, how have you been ?

You didn't cite. You just said you didn't have the book in front of you.

You made the claim, now name the page.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Slam » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:28 pm

Wasn't bin Laden well game for setting up a force to kick the shit out of Saddam in 1991?
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:31 pm

illman wrote:PS .... Sudan had booted obl. Only 2 countries were actively inviting him after the embassy/Cole bombings.

Sudan booted him under pressure from Clinton. Which turned out to be a dumb idea because of the all the westerners milling about Khartoum spying on him. I think (but I don't have it in front of me) he was booted in 1996.

Oh wait...here it is:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... /cron.html

Yep, booted out of the Sudan in 1996....not after the Cole Bombing in 2000. Ya got some rusty research skills there Illman.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:44 pm

You said it was in the commision report. the Myrolie article appeared before the commision report. Myrolie really isn't the best single source for "proof" it would be like me using children's singer Raffi as a source to prove that Global Warming is real.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby kgb » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:45 pm

So, here's the wrap-up:

illman likes to draw his conclusions from reading crappy conservative magazines, posts his opinions online, then does a shit job of backing up his claims when asked for more credible sources.
Jesus Shaves
kgb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:25 pm

Here is an article critical of Mylroie's findings:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/featur ... ergen.html

and an excerpt of an interview she did :

As soon as the interview started, Mylroie began lecturing in a hectoring tone: "Listen, we're going to war because President Bush believes Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11. Al Qaeda is a front for Iraqi intelligence…[the U.S.] bureaucracy made a tremendous blunder that refused to acknowledge these links … the people responsible for gathering this information, say in the C.I.A., are also the same people who contributed to the blunder on 9/11 and the deaths of 3,000 Americans, and so whenever this information emerges they move to discredit it." I tried to make the point that Mylroie's theories defied common sense, as they implied a conspiracy by literally thousands of American officials to suppress the truth of the links between Iraq and 9/11, to little avail.

At the end of the interview, Mylroie, who exudes a slightly frazzled, batty air, started getting visibly agitated, her finger jabbing at the camera and her voice rising to a yell as she outlined the following apocalyptic scenario: "Now I'm going to tell you something, OK, and I want all Canada to understand, I want you to understand the consequences of the cynicism of people like Peter. There is a very acute chance as we go to war that Saddam will use biological agents as revenge against Americans, that there will be anthrax in the United States and there will be smallpox in the United States. Are you in Canada prepared for Americans who have smallpox and do not know it crossing the border and bringing that into Canada?"

As is typical, she ignored Ramzi Yousefs numerous solid connection to Al Qaeda and instead chose to focus instead on the flimsy one to Iraq. This whole thing is a case of finding what you want to do first and then look for the evidence to do it.

Now it has degreaded to the point of repeating the same BS loud and often and I understand the reason:

Its hard to admit that almost 2000 soldiers died for a made up reason.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Sri Lanky » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:31 pm

The best and most intelligent choice for Osama to hideout is exactly where he is now......along the border of Afghanistan and the Northwest frontier of Pakistan.

Happy hunting.
Sri Lanky

Here is a question for shits and giggles

Postby Jumper » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:26 pm

Here is a question to ponder? Do you think the group Black September or ANO gave the idea to Al Qaida of having a good ol bombing of women and children in September for the 9/11 attack? Or that the theme of airplanes being used was at least discussed in conversation between various groups? ANO were the kings of hijackings at one time. The reason I ask this is because all of the terrorist groups that aspired to really kick ass, would want to hang out with the old Abu Nidal group for advice and networking possibilities. I don't think they would have been able to talk to Abu Nidal direct, because he was living it up in Iraq at the time. But where do you think all the groups could of met in order to network like this? Hmmmmn, oh thats right, in Sudan. Turabi out of Sudan was the organizer of the Arab and Muslim Conferences, an effort to get the various terrorist groups to put down their differences and get on one side. Did I mention that Osama was very popular in the Sudan as well as any other islamic/muslim terrorist group that needed refuge. Turabi is free now, do you think he will try to put together another party? Read about it in Wikipedia as a starter, it is pretty common knowledge. Am I out of my lane here or does anyone else have a better angle?

On funner side note, It would be cool to also find out how Abu Nidal really died. Was he a threat to Saddam, did he know things that would have incriminated Sadam and the bathists or did he really comit suicide like all the papers say? Reports said he had four bullet holes in his body, some suicide.....
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:05 pm

Slam wrote:Wasn't bin Laden well game for setting up a force to kick the shit out of Saddam in 1991?

Nah, illman convinced me, Saddam and bin Laden were buddies. Osama was on Saddam's payroll.

Bin Laden trying to gather support for going in and kicking Saddam out of Kuwait? Nah, that was just trash talk. Like what two buddies do in a game of one-on-one in any basketball court in America. You know, one buddy says something like "yo mama wears combat boots" to psych-out his buddy while going for a basket. Standard basketball court trash talk.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Jumper

Postby Vincent » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:34 pm

I'm not sure that they would have needed the inspiration, but I think they took a look around at the weapons they had available and could use most effectively and airplanes as missiles came out on top.

When you talk about the various terror networks, certainly they exist, but they are primarily marriages of convenience. Will Bin Laden cooperate with Hezbollah or Hamas? Sure, if it furthers his goals. Will they cooperate with him? Again, same answer.

The thing is, cooperation with Bin Laden puts you on the very bad boy list with the US now, so that is certainly taken into the equation now.

When you talk about Turabi and what he is trying to put together, well, that is just opportunism at its finest. Much like there were dozens of leaders arount the middle east striving to be the leader of Pan-Arabism, there will be leaders popping up to be the leader of Global Jihad or whatever it will be called.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe