Worse Than Guantanamo?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Worse Than Guantanamo?

Postby goat balls » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:29 pm

Compared to the Palais de Justice in Paris, Guantanamo looks like ClubMed. I guess the German media will be furious about this blatant French disregard of human rights, as they are in the case of Guantanamo... This will be a media firestorm! Heh heh.

Or not....

Cells at France's Palais de Justice condemned as 'squalid and inhumane dungeons'

The European Council's commissioner for human rights has described conditions in the prison in France's most august court building as the worst he has seen. ...

Alvaro Gil-Robles said the cells in the historic Palais de Justice in Paris were squalid and inhumane.

Describing them as "dungeons", he said: "It is incredible that people are imprisoned in such conditions, without ventilation and without natural light. I have never seen a worse prison." Mr Gil-Robles, 60, an academic lawyer and Spain's former national ombudsman, spent 16 days in France last month inspecting prisons, detention centres and mental hospitals.

The palais is situated on the beautiful L'île de la Cité, a few hundred yards from Notre Dame cathedral. But in its "dépôt", human rights organisations have uncovered evidence of prisoners, mainly illegal immigrants, going without food, drink and lavatory paper as they huddle together for warmth. There have been numerous violent attacks and cases of detainees mutilating themselves and smearing their blood on the walls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/10/wpris10.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/10/ixworld.html
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Johnno » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:40 pm

Im curious to see how people screaming about abu gharib and Guantanamo take this.
Johnno
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:53 pm

As someone who screams about Abu Gharaib and Guantanomo I dislike this.

But my tax dollars are not paying for it, that is the big difference.

How did you think someone like me would respond?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby goat balls » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Ahhhh....Monsieur Kurt. Tax dollars...I never would've thought of it that way.

Very clever way of looking at it really.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:12 pm

Johnno wrote:Im curious to see how people screaming about abu gharib and Guantanamo take this.

What's your point? So France tortures people so no one can complain about Gitmo or Abu Ghraib? It all sucks, and all the electrocution and beatings and pointing at hooded peoples junk hasn't gotten any closer to winning the GWOT. Can you not be an apologist long enough to admit that maybe that kind of treatment is wrong?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Penta » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:02 pm

3 points:

1. We have a commissioner for HR who visits countries (including their prisons), produces reports and holds them to account. Bush and Gonzales reckon they're above the law in Guantanamo and are not accountable to anyone.

2. The report hasn't been published yet, so we don't know the details. I've only been able to find the short Telegraph article you quoted and an extract from a Le Monde article which requires subscription.

3. For all we know, the people may only be held in the cells while waiting for their court appearance before being transferred back to normal prisons (or released). Whatever, they are part of a system with due process (unlike Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, Bagram etc.).

Still disgraceful, but presumably improvements will now be made.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby kgb » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:07 pm

Holy shit! So you're telling me that France is just as bad as the U.S.? What am I going to call my julienned potatoes now?
Jesus Shaves
kgb
BFCus Regularus

Postby fish-e » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 pm

Julien has taken a hiatus from making potatoes. You may now refer to them as Jean-Paul, Jean-Marc or Jean-Claude Potatoes, depending on who is working that day.
-just-keep-moving-
fish-e
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 pm

kgb wrote:Holy shit! So you're telling me that France is just as bad as the U.S.? What am I going to call my julienned potatoes now?

Torture Fries.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:12 pm

A lot of California wines are now as good as some Bordeauxs and Burgundies, so the Frogs are trying to beat us at our own game.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:16 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:A lot of California wines are now as good as some Bordeauxs and Burgundies, so the Frogs are trying to beat us at our own game.

California is an agriculture machine.

But the problem I have with Cali wines is that they are too "oakey" which is great at parties and maybe with a light snack. But the Frogs and Dagos got the right acidity to actually make a real meal taste good.

This is why I often say "fuck it" and drink beer instead.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:35 pm

Kurt wrote:But the problem I have with Cali wines is that they are too "oakey" which is great at parties and maybe with a light snack. But the Frogs and Dagos got the right acidity to actually make a real meal taste good.

This is why I often say "fuck it" and drink beer instead.

I too had this same belief. But in August I met my brother in LA and we drove up the PCH and the 101 to the Oregon border, and I became a convert. Along the way we stopped in the Santa Ynez Valley, the Sonoma, the Napa, the Russian River and a couple of others. We must have tasted 100 or more wines. Absolutely fantastic. The vine-growing conditions is California are actually superior to France and probably Italy too. It's just a matter of them getting their recipes right. I added more wines to my collection than I could carry back. I had to ship a couple of cases.

I highly recommend this tour. And California has to be the prettiest stretch of real estate in the country, if not the world. Next summer, I'll do it in Bordeaux and Chianti and compare and contrast my findings.

All right, this may be the gayest post ever on a website dedicated to dangerous places.

In a dangerous place: seeking the perfect Zinfandel in the Sonoma Valley.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:41 pm

I have heard that the problem might be with the barrels. cali barrels are to new.

I used to deliver art to the wineries up there and got offered free tours after delivery.

But the DUI level for me as a CDL holder would have been .004 % or a tad over one glass of wine.

Really frustrating. Especially at Clos Pegas.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:46 pm

That sucks. Next time you're out there have someone else drive. Preferably in a convertible. That's what we rented.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby kilroy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:58 pm

tell you what, next time you're out there renting convertables, just let me know, and i'll pop on down.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe