RYP, how do you stay out of the papers?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

RYP, how do you stay out of the papers?

Postby El Pelon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:45 pm

Hey RYP, I remember reading in one of your books that you want to stay out of the press in DPs. I like the recommendation and I need help.

These guys got me again today and they keep putting my picture in the paper doing medical stuff. Heck the security guard a the airport parking lot knew me by name because of it for crying out loud. So much for anonymity. I don´t tell them we are coming down, where we are going or what we are doing, they just find our teams and start shooting film. Today I just happened to look up and they were taking my pics while I was working with a bunch of new moms/babies and they thought it would be a good photo op (regardless of what I thought about it).

I certainly don´t want people (read kidnappers and pandilleros) to know who I am (too late) and I certainly don´t want to put my team members in danger because my big mellon keeps showing up in La Prensa. You are a pretty well known guy, how do you keep a low profile when you are out and about? I´ll take tips from anyone else with ideas as well.
El Pelon
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:06 pm

You could try this.

Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby NUNYABIZNACK » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:20 pm

probably posting about where you are and what you are doing is a problem. It has been for me in the past I know that.
Although I think i speak for many of us that we definitely enjoy hearing your stories.
NUNYABIZNACK
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:14 am

Well start by writing the words "Fuck Off" with a Sharpie on your forehead, that should eliminate the use of your photo in most family pubs. Then wear a T-shirt with a very large picture of a vagina. Finally when they ask you for an interview just use stare at them and say "Penis anyone?"
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby El Pelon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:57 am

Well that would certainly be the "Shock and Awe" of Leave Me Alone. I´ll let you know how it works.
El Pelon
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:13 pm

Remember El Pelon:

Temprorary tatoos are for pussies. Besides you don't want your forhead to run.

Also photogs will gravitate towards those they feel best capture the moment. Figure out what that moment is, and try not to look like you belong in it.

On an archealogical dig i on we hadly had any photogrpahs done of us when the media came because so many of our workers were pudgy dudes showing butt cleavage. The other was a very homely woman..Then there was then long haired and beared me at 22 and this other long haried beared 50 year old.

The reporters gravitated to the long haired dudes and asked us if we were father and son. We said no. They took pictures of the site whille we were eating lunch.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Pretend to be mentally ill.
It works for a pal of mine (I use it a lot too but I don't have to act) who speaks quite a few languages and whenever he is in a DP and spots journalists from say France,Italy,Germany etc he pretends to be a tourist from there (he's a journo) and starts off calm and reasonable before letting it creep out and eventually going off his trolley.
It's how he amuses himself and it's great fun to watch. Nothing scares journalists like hysterical schizos. Watch em flee :-)

Take acting classes because it's all in the eyes and mannerisms as much as the language. Even schizos are scared of other schizos.
Remember, schizos are never alone.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Sri Lanky » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:15 pm

Oh c'mon RYP....you really meant 'tennis anyone?'
Sri Lanky

Postby immigrant_ » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:15 pm

"george bush doesn't care about black people" -click
immigrant_
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe