has anyone been backpacking in iraq recently?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: has anyone been backpacking in iraq recently?

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:12 pm

it was all so awesome I have tears in my eyes. Ms. Lindhout can PM me too if she has any questions about the harsh realities of the world. I am sure I can enlighten her so she can avoid trouble in her travels.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:09 am

do you think he will ever figure out why he's posted THE BEST POST OF THE YEAR?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby coldharvest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:26 am

marie-angelique wrote:do you think he will ever figure out why he's posted THE BEST POST OF THE YEAR?

$5 says his left hand gets in the way of his right hand when he's jerking off.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:07 am

Whatever happened to this spacker known as 'Travelbug'? What a cupid stunt

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 pm

flipflop wrote:Whatever happened to this spacker known as 'Travelbug'? What a cupid stunt

Cheers

What a cupid stunt. What a cunning array of stunts.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:29 pm

flipflop wrote:Whatever happened to this spacker known as 'Travelbug'?

He still pisses strong against the wind. He just competed in the North Pole Marathon, wrote his first book ("Ich war uberall / I've been everywhere. Chechnya, Afghanistan, South Sudan ... with a gentleman to the most remote and dangerous places in the world") - in the same German publishing house as Bear Grylls, Bill Clinton and George Soros, he was among the first foreigners on Stalin's Dead Road and through the Ilemi Triangle into South Sudan, and he drove the Road of Bones in winter at -62°C, he crossed West Africa to meet President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf at her inauguration ball in Monrovia, he was at the Benghazi frontline in the Arab Spring - May 2011 and in Mauretania / Mali 2013, he routinely conducts business in Chechnya with President Kadyrov directly, and he personally delivered aid to the Somali refugee camps in Dadaab. All on his travelblog http://gentlemanadventurer.travellerspoint.com/. He won two court verdicts against Larry Ellison, almost lost a famous friend in a skiing accident in Meribel this year, and he still tries to be inspirational to anyone less fortunate than himself. Questions? (No coprolalia please, thanks.)
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

I thought you were a Norwegian national. Will the book ever be translated to English?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Travelbug » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:30 pm

gnaruki wrote:I thought you were a Norwegian national. Will the book ever be translated to English?

Yes. My publisher talks to English publishing houses.

With the credentials of "best post of the year" on BFC that should be a piece of cake ...
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:01 am

Travelbug wrote:
gnaruki wrote:I thought you were a Norwegian national. Will the book ever be translated to English?

Yes. My publisher talks to English publishing houses.

With the credentials of "best post of the year" on BFC that should be a piece of cake ...

we care because we love
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby gazza171 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:53 pm

I backpacked in Iraq in January 2004 for 2 weeks, it was just after the first japs had there heads cut off, but just before all the other westerners started to get the heads off

it was fine...more or less, there was on guy who went a couple of months before called something like " vagabond traveller" he posted some cards from cheap hotels online, i printed them out and used them easly,normaly like 10 or 20 bucks a night...Baghdad was a lot more expensive and i almost got linched by a mob over the price of a kebab ( in the end a local payed for me) i went in via turkey and all the way down to basara ( checked out the british tanks stuck in traffic jams) then crossed back via Baghdad to Jorden and onto Israel

Often there was gunfire in the night...and a lot of militry around, but it was ok...always traveled in the daytime, and stayed away from weasten looking places as there was more chances there of bombs, so i never enterd the green zone....looked impressive from outside,

i got to see some of the artist banksys stuff sprayed aswell...althought he does not normal say he was there (i got to meet him latter in Palestine, but thats a diffrent story)

i was in al hila for the day ( place with babalon ruens) and they told me to get out of there as it was not safe...so i stayed in the neighouring shieit religuse town....weared place, full of pilgrims wipping each outher ect ect

and one night i was late arriving to a town via the shared taxis and it was getting dark....one of the locals in the taxi who did not speak english let me stay in his village house....scariest night of my life...i think it was a fine line between kidnap and guest...but all worked out fine...the fed me and gave me a place to sleep with them all in the main room...everyone sleeping togher on the carpet on the floor, with one guy with a ak near the door...but friendly guys...

so in the end...it was not so stupid of the guy to ask a year latter if you could backpack in Iraq...sure a year after it was a bit more " choppy choppy" but still possable
gazza171
mach

has anyone been backpacking in iraq recently

Postby russlits » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Has anyone been notified about their pre-order Solaris yet?
russlits

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:28 pm

This thread is still really funny.

I did not notice that in 2015 someone wondered why we made fun of a guy for telling Ms. Lindehout to ignore warnings about travel to Iraq in 2005 (then she chose..well, we will let future replies to this thread look it up)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 pm

I went to Iraq in 2005 without a backpack.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:31 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:I went to Iraq in 2005 without a backpack.

You were clever enough to realize your success in your travels did not make you immortal for all destinations.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

has anyone been backpacking in iraq recently

Postby Warnerden » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:55 pm

I have heard good things about Alex from Lugansk and Mila from Kharkov.

Has anyone used a guide?

Please post your story.
Warnerden

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe