has anyone been backpacking in iraq recently?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby coldharvest » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Make sure you stay at a campground that's been approved by the
Kampgrounds of Arabia.
Happy Camping!!
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re: has anyone been backpacking in iraq recently?

Postby Zero » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:41 am

So uh, which one of you guys is planning to PM her, so the link to this thread is the first thing she sees when she gets back (including the other threads about her)
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:14 am

That is freaky
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:49 am

done
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Re:

Postby Woodsman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:51 pm

The Settle wrote:What about when dillusional western women get themselves beheaded or shot?

Soil nutrient addition.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Someone remind her about K&R insurance next time, eh?
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Travelbug » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:57 am

amandalindhout,

if you require information about travelling to dangerous places, this is the wrong forum , as you have probably found out by now.

Many members here are from the military and have no experience in independent travelling. Some don't even have a passport. They have a strong interest in telling the world how dangerous it is, so they can keep their jobs - and go back home bragging how big and strong they are. If you put them out alone in the wild, many of them will have very small dicks (to use the language they understand). Intellects are also rather underdeveloped (luckily some exceptions - most of them girls), so you can listen here all day long to dogs barking at the moon.

To answer your question: it is pretty easy to enter Iraq from Turkey. At the border town of Silopi you will be approached by local Turkish Kurdish boys who take you over the border in a taxi for US$ 55, taking care of all the formalities. You don't need a prior visa. You will get a stamp stating "Republic of Iraq - Kurdistan Region". Behind the border you must change into a local Iraqi taxi that takes you to Zakho for US$ 7 in about 10 minutes. Taxis are so cheap that you may consider taking one onwards to Dohuk or Erbil. Kirkuk and areas further south are outside of Kurdish control and are considered dangerous for foreigners, but I think that is because fery few people tried. Peter Mathews (check on mosttraveledpeople.com) is an exception and had no problems.

Good luck for your trip! You will surely enjoy it. If you want to see a hot military zone, that is not preying on foreigners, do the drive from Van (Turkey) via Hakkari and Cizre to Silopi. You will soon hope to reach the safety of Northern Iraq...

P.S.: If you need info about visiting the other "interesting" places in the area like Nagorno-Karabakh, Naxcivan, Iran, or anywhere else in the world, please PM.
Travelbug
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:01 am

You're an idiot, Mr.Bug

For a good laugh feel free to use the search function to check your own posts globetrotter.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby flipflop » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:08 am

Travelbug wrote:P.S.: If you need info about visiting the other "interesting" places in the area like Nagorno-Karabakh, Naxcivan, Iran, or anywhere else in the world, please PM.

He just wants a date!

But, you know what they say - once you've had black, there's no going back

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:23 pm

You boys are ice cold.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:30 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:You boys are ice cold.

...just one of the many reasons we should do a calender.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:45 pm

coldharvest wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:You boys are ice cold.

...just one of the many reasons we should do a calender.

Brilliant idea! I was going to do a calender once of Cleveland Bail Bondsmen but it never got off the ground. A BFC calender, for the year 2012 natch, would be swell.
Lord, send me an underwriter.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 pm

amandalindhout,

if you require information about travelling to dangerous places, this is the wrong forum , as you have probably found out by now.

Beautiful. Like pissing into a Force 9.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Travelbug wrote:amandalindhout,

Many members here are from the military and have no experience in independent travelling. Some don't even have a passport. They have a strong interest in telling the world how dangerous it is, so they can keep their jobs - and go back home bragging how big and strong they are. If you put them out alone in the wild, many of them will have very small dicks (to use the language they understand). Intellects are also rather underdeveloped (luckily some exceptions - most of them girls), so you can listen here all day long to dogs barking at the moon.

To answer your question: it is pretty easy to enter Iraq from Turkey. At the border town of Silopi you will be approached by local Turkish Kurdish boys who take you over the border in a taxi for US$ 55, taking care of all the formalities. You don't need a prior visa. You will get a stamp stating "Republic of Iraq - Kurdistan Region". Behind the border you must change into a local Iraqi taxi that takes you to Zakho for US$ 7 in about 10 minutes. Taxis are so cheap that you may consider taking one onwards to Dohuk or Erbil. Kirkuk and areas further south are outside of Kurdish control and are considered dangerous for foreigners, but I think that is because fery few people tried. Peter Mathews (check on mosttraveledpeople.com) is an exception and had no problems.

Good luck for your trip! You will surely enjoy it. If you want to see a hot military zone, that is not preying on foreigners, do the drive from Van (Turkey) via Hakkari and Cizre to Silopi. You will soon hope to reach the safety of Northern Iraq...

P.S.: If you need info about visiting the other "interesting" places in the area like Nagorno-Karabakh, Naxcivan, Iran, or anywhere else in the world, please PM.

Best Post of The Fucking Year.

I cannot describe just how great this post is. Explaining why will kill it just as dissection explains a frog but it ceases to be a frog.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby redharen » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:05 am

Kurt wrote:I cannot describe just how great this post is. Explaining why will kill it just as dissection explains a frog but it ceases to be a frog.

Yep. I won't murder to dissect, either, but one of my favorite parts is where he says to PM if she needs to know about any other place in the world.
redharen
small ax

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe