If Bush fails in Iraq, who will be most to blame?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

the "liberal media"
14%
the "savage Arab" who isn't ready for democracy
10%
the civilians in the Pentagon and Bush Admin that didn't let the military go in and do what had to be done
5%
the "rotten apples" at Abu Ghraib that lost the war for us with those stupid photos
No votes
the "filthy French" - Chirac cost us the war when he obstructed the 2nd UN Resolution to invade Iraq
No votes
the "liberal, commie, left-wing of the BFC" with their constant griping and anti-Americanism
10%
George W. Bush - the buck stops with him
62%

Total votes : 21

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue May 25, 2004 6:01 am

Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Aegis » Tue May 25, 2004 6:19 am

Ummm... If Bush fails, nobody but him is to blame.

If the war is a failure, things become more complicated.

Maybe an "Other (please specify)" option is necessary, as I think blame for a failure could be ascribed to numerous sources not included in your poll.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue May 25, 2004 6:50 am

Aegis wrote:Maybe an "Other (please specify)" option is necessary, as I think blame for a failure could be ascribed to numerous sources not included in your poll.

Good point. But, I can't edit the poll.

I tried to cover all the complaints of the Tito/goatballs/Marco_Benoit crowd... the press, the French, the liberals, etc.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Dim » Tue May 25, 2004 7:58 am

Clearly if it all goes wrong it's the fault of the people who didn't think the US should ever have gone in in the first place - you know, the way the loss in Vietnam was the fault of all the teenagers protesting against the war.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Re: If Bush fails in Iraq, who will be most to blame?

Postby townslight » Tue May 25, 2004 8:25 am

Bobby Sands wrote:If Bush fails in Iraq, who will be most to blame?

If is the big word but with the choices it has got to be All Of The Above but The #1 choice is Media they can sell ice cubes to eskimos.Their machine is bigger then God.Their will be done.
Big picture of world situations transends timelines the mass media feeds all the little picture people.
townslight

Postby goat balls » Tue May 25, 2004 11:51 am

Well..would have voted for:

1. Liberal media

2. Filthy French..I really love that choice

3. And of course GWB..the buck does stop with him

GWB should have invaded France .. took their women and pastry chefs..would have only taken a day or two
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue May 25, 2004 6:18 pm

goat balls wrote:2. Filthy French..I really love that choice

Even fearless leader Bush is kissing French butt now:

WASHINGTON, May 25 (Xinhuanet) -- In an apparent attempt to play down differences on Iraq, President George W. Bush said Tuesday that he shared the same goal on Iraq with French President JacquesChirac.

"I had a great conversation with President Chirac," Bush said of his telephone conversation with Chirac on Tuesday when he met in the White House with a group of Iraqis seeking treatment in theUnited States.

"We share the same goal: a free and stable and peaceful Iraq," he said.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004- ... 490293.htm
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby goat balls » Tue May 25, 2004 6:39 pm

Article Published: Tuesday, May 25, 2004
Owens' jokes get gonged
Remarks at Michigan event offend Francophiles, embassy officials

By Susan Greene
Denver Post Staff Writer

France's U.S. Embassy blasted Gov. Bill Owens on Monday for "unfortunate and ill-informed" jokes about the French.

Keynoting Saturday at the Michigan Republican Party Convention, Owens quipped, "You know why they planted those big trees along the boulevard in Paris? So the invading armies could march in the shade."

And, he continued, "You know why the new French navy has glass-bottom boats? So it can see the old French navy."

C'est dommage, responded Nathalie Loiseau of the French Embassy in Washington. She admonished Colorado's two-term governor for "uselessly practicing French bashing for the purpose of playing politics." Owens delivered his riffs to a crowd of 2,000 Michigan Republicans after contrasting President Bush's leadership with that of likely Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry. Kerry, he said, "would wait for a permission slip to be filled out by the United Nations and initialed by France" before rebuilding Iraq.

Advertisement

Owens was unavailable Monday to explain his bon mots against the French.

Communications director Sean Duffy said the governor "has been very concerned about European and other nations who have been not only unsupportive, but actively antagonistic in the conduct and the run-up to the Iraq war."

"He was pointing out how America has sacrificed for other nations. So, historically, he was trying to point out that America has done a lot for France," he continued.

Concerns about Owens' jokes are "kind of bewildering," Duffy added, "because he had a standing ovation in the hall."

He noted the governor - who has traveled several times to France - "likes the French quite a bit."

Funny way of showing it, some Francophiles counter. They note Owens has refused two meetings in the past year with top French diplomats visiting Denver.

Duffy said the governor would not meet France's consul general in the spring of 2003 - near the start of the Iraq war - because he "felt strongly that it was not a good time to be sitting down and pretending that everything was dandy." Owens declined to meet with the French ambassador this spring "because their schedules didn't work out," Duffy said.

There are an estimated 3,000 French families living in Colorado. The state's exports to France totalled more than $267 million last year. Owens's Office of Economic Development and International Trade has tried to lure more business from Europe, including France.

"As an entrepreneur myself, your governor certainly wouldn't make me want to locate a company in Colorado," said Michael LaVean, a Michigan resident who has lived in France and took offense at Owens' humor.

Tom Clark, director of the Metro Denver Economic Development Corp., said Owens' "are old jokes that are used about all kinds of countries."

"It's campaign time. People are going to make jokes to endear themselves to audiences. I'm not offended one way or another," said Clark, whose office has been trying for six years to lure Air France to fly to Denver.

Frieda Sanidas, the honorary consul of France in Colorado, tried to stay neutral.

"I suppose this is supposed to funny. But I really would not like to comment," she said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Reporter Susan Greene can be reached at sgreene@denverpost.com .
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Tue May 25, 2004 7:05 pm

'We are the most powerful nation in the world--economically, politically and militarily--and we are likely to remain so for decades ahead. But we are not omniscient. If we cannot persuade other nations with similar interests and values of the merits of our proposed use of that power, we should not proceed unilaterally except in the unlikely requirement to defend the continental U.S., Alaska and Hawaii.'

- Robert McNamara
Dim
BFCus Regularus

what is so great about Democracy

Postby beentheredonethat » Wed May 26, 2004 10:29 am

democracy is over rated...just look at America.

I have lived in Police states happier and safer than
I have ever lived in America etc....

There are also Repubics, Monarchys, Communism (eeek), Dictatorships, Banana Republics,

Democracies....whatś that ? The right to kill and get a lawyer.
beentheredonethat

It has to be

Postby SRR » Wed May 26, 2004 2:19 pm

All you dope smoking whale watching gun protesting putting-bananas-in-exhaust-pipes-ing acoustic guitar playing tie dye shirt making anti-Vietnam war whining green party voting vegetable eating religion tolerating anti Military Industrial Complexing long haired hippy folks hanging out here on the BFC.... I know for a fact that Rumsfeld checks here every day and gets all welled up inside when he reads all your leftist tirades. Give the guy a break - he's just trying to help out the people who paid to get him into office!

(sarcasm off)
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby RYP » Wed May 26, 2004 2:33 pm

What if we marry off the twins to most heinous of the the left wing French Arab media and then make George Bush ambassador to Iraq?
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Return to Black Flag Cafe