take a poll

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Do you support the Ban of Michael Moores film in the USA ?

yes
14%
no
86%

Total votes : 37

take a poll

Postby beentheredonethat » Tue May 25, 2004 7:51 pm

check this out
www.damilama.com
beentheredonethat

Postby Dim » Tue May 25, 2004 7:52 pm

1. Your link doesn't exist

2. What ban?
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Tue May 25, 2004 7:54 pm

Banning it just seems to me like an infringement of the whole "Freedom of Speech" thing. People could just not see it, if they want, but the country as a whole can't just say no.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby patriot » Tue May 25, 2004 8:05 pm

They didn't really ban it persay, but they might as well, since Moore can't find a major distributor anymore. I guess his opinion doesn't matter, well according to Disney, whose products I will NEVER EVER purchase again.
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aegis » Tue May 25, 2004 8:26 pm

Hmmm... I can't find a major distributor for MY film either... it must be a vast right-wing conspiracy because I "keep it real"... Maybe I should join forces with Moore and... Nah...

So Disney doesn't want to distribute his film. Thats their choice and somebody will distribute it, as long as there is an opportunity for them to profit at somebody elses' expense.

Here's an idea though. Moore could distribute it himself, perhaps throught he internet. Charge a low, one time fee to download it, since most of his fans are computer savvy enough to do so, and if they respect him they will gladly pay to support his work (as opposed to pirating it off Kazaa or Soulseek, like I did with Bowling for Columbine. But then again, I don't respect Moore very much).

Another idea could be to find a major foriegn distributor and let the film roll in the dough overseas. It may take a few months but US distributors will come around.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Postby Romeo247 » Tue May 25, 2004 8:30 pm

Gestapo and there censorship..

Enough's enough!
Whats the #1 cause of divorce?? MARRIAGE
---- Fact
Romeo247
BFCus Regularus

Postby WillyBlues » Tue May 25, 2004 8:30 pm

Who could possibly want to ban anything?
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Tue May 25, 2004 8:35 pm

Under normal circumstances the film would find a distributor - it's been all over the news and it's won the Palme D'or.

What I think is slowing things down is that any distributor has to deal with Harvey and Bob Weinstein - the least trustworthy, most hated men in the film industry (which is quite an achievement, when you think about it).

Moore'll get his film released eventually - he just needs to find someone brave/dumb enough to get into bed with his producers.
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue May 25, 2004 8:46 pm

there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the film will NOT get distributed here...it won at Cannes and it will make a LOT of money compared to the costs in putting it out.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

it is BANNED in America as in illegal and it has distributor

Postby beentheredonethat » Wed May 26, 2004 10:23 am

Moores film will be seen internationally except for AMERICA.
It does have distributors, it will be released in Spain at the
end of September and throughout various European locations.

The film clearly exhibits the links between the Bush family and the Saudi Royal Family. How George Junior profited during the Kuwait war, and how many bbqs they had in Texas for the Sauds.

Nothing wrong with the Saudi family, just the sick hypocrasy that
is now in full effect for the REST of America and the world since 09/11

Why would anyone support a ban on the truth...oh ya THERE IS AN ELECTION with one of the key players in this film...and he is very very scared. So he and Daddy CIA are using the Patriot Act to silence you,
and make you afraid of your neighbors.
beentheredonethat

Postby Dim » Wed May 26, 2004 10:46 am

it is BANNED in America as in illegal and it has distributor

You're totally wrong
Dim
BFCus Regularus

banned as in business are AFRAID of the government

Postby beentheredonethat » Wed May 26, 2004 11:33 am

MICHAEL MOORE hit the bestsellers lists with Stupid White Men... a book that was banned and only released when librarians in America lobbied en masse (can you imagine that happening in Britain?) but if anything Dude Where's My Country is better and more relevant and is now available in a new cheaper format. The early sections in particular deal with Bush, Iraq and Dubya's links with the Saudis - the basis for his new film Fahrenheit 9/11. The sections about the Florida election reveal extra details that most of us were unaware of,

This is a quote from an article. His book was banned initially...the current film is banned as in the political presure by high playing business interest in having the Bush - Israeli supporting government
be re-elected. His producers are Jewish with heavy Bush interests in continuing the demolishment of Palestine etc... anti Arab sentiment . I am not saying it is a conspiracy. It is business. And they want their interest to be protected.

And no I am not wrong this film does have international release secured EVERYWHERE but America...and believe me there is a demand for this story to be heard in America...but WHY stop it.

To keep the Bush government at ease with all the mounting exposure of the lie of the Iraq war. We now know there were no
Weapons of Mass destruction...the only justifications for Brits and US to attack innocent Iraquis and quote protect the world. That is a joke.

There are no AlQadea links in Iraq, or at least there werent before
this war, there may be now of course with all the hate that has been building toward the West.
We have Blair and Bush to thank for that.

Anyway I am not TOTALLY wrong, silly rabbit
beentheredonethat

okay YOU decide if this inffers BANNED

Postby beentheredonethat » Wed May 26, 2004 11:44 am

Michael Moore goes to war on Bush
(Filed: 18/05/2004)

Sukhdev Sandhu reviews Fahrenheit 911 and the controversial British film Nine Songs at Cannes Festival

After a slow start, Cannes 2004 is hotting up fast. The festival's most eagerly awaited film, Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911, was completed barely a week ago and screened yesterday to widespread cheers.

It's a storming work of tempered polemic, gripping from start to last, that uses the war in Iraq as a starting point for offering a largely convincing class-based analysis of contemporary America. Small wonder that few US distributors want to touch it.

Moore has collated and stitched together with tart vigour apparently damning evidence about the long-standing ties between the Bush family and Middle Eastern business classes, among whom the Bin Ladens play a prominent role. He suggests that earlier this year the White House doctored the President's military record to hide the fact that one of Bush's closest pals had been instrumental in building up close ties with Saudi oil companies.

Moore has an eye for detail. Bush, he says, was on vacation for 42 per cent of the eight months before 9/11. He plunders mass-media archives for startling footage such as Attorney General John Ashcroft singing the self-penned Let the Eagle Soar High, or American soldiers tanked up on rock music and war movies about to humiliate innocent civilians in Iraq.
beentheredonethat

article from the Guardian Britians most respected newspaper

Postby beentheredonethat » Wed May 26, 2004 11:54 am

Disney blocks Michael Moore film on Bush links with leading Saudis

Gary Younge in New York
Thursday May 6, 2004
The Guardian

The Disney company is blocking distribution of Michael Moore's forthcoming film, Fahrenheit 911, which exposes the links between George Bush and prominent Saudis.

[b]Mr Moore's agent said Disney had pulled out because its involvement could jeopardise tax breaks the company receives from the state of Florida, where Mr Bush's brother, Jeb, is governor. Disney claims it does not want to be associated with the film because it risks politically alienating too many people.[/b]

The principal investor in the film, to be screened in Cannes this month, is Miramax Films, co-founded by Harvey Weinstein, a big donor to the Democratic party. Miramax, a division of Disney, has been told it cannot release the film.

Moore's agent, Ari Emanuel, said Disney's chief executive, Michael Eisner, had asked him last year to pull out of the deal with Miramax, [color=blue]suggesting that involvement could hurt tax breaks his company receives for its park, hotel and other concerns in Florida.[/color]

"Michael Eisner asked me not to sell this movie to Harvey Weinstein," Mr Emanuel told the New York Times. "That doesn't mean I listened to him. He definitely indicated there were tax incentives he was getting for the Disney corporation and that's why he didn't want me to sell it to Miramax. He didn't want a Disney company involved."

In a statement on his website, Moore, 50, who did not return requests for an interview, said: "I would have hoped by now that I would be able to put my work out to the public without having to experience the profound censorship obstacles I often seem to encounter."

"At some point, the question has to be asked, 'Should this be happening in a free and open society where monied inter ests essentially call the shots regarding information that the public is allowed to see?'

"If this is partisan in any way it is partisan on the side of the poor and working people in this country ,who provide fodder for this war machine."

The film does not yet have a release date in North America. Miramax and Disney have a contractual arrangement that would allow Disney to prevent distribution under particular circumstances, such as a budget of more than $30 to $35m or an adult rating.

Disney said distributing the film would be against the company's interests because Disney caters for all political persuasions.

"We hope to amicably resolve the situation in the near future," said a Miramax spokesman, Matthew Hiltzik.

Moore is no stranger to controversy or success. Publication of his bestselling book Stupid White Men was almost cancelled after the September 11 attacks and only came out after a campaign by librarians.

Bowling for Columbine, about gun control, won an Oscar last year.

Fahrenheit 911 highlights the financial connections between the Bush family and prominent Saudi families, including the family of Osama bin Laden.

[b]Release dates for
Fahrenheit 911 (2004)

Page 14 of 20
Country Date
France 17 May 2004 (Cannes Film Festival)
Spain 10 September 2004
France 1 October 2004
beentheredonethat

Postby Skirita » Wed May 26, 2004 12:43 pm

"At some point, the question has to be asked, 'Should this be happening in a free and open society where monied inter ests essentially call the shots regarding information that the public is allowed to see?'

Absolutely. If there truly is demand for Moore's propoganda, then a monied interest will step up to the plate. What part of free market economics do you not understand?
Skirita
Malus In Se

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe