Your current reading list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Your current reading list

Postby diamondcutter13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:57 pm

A fantastic story of early commandos of Norway operating behind the lines to destroy the heavy water plant at Vemork and then surviving for months in the winter on the Hardanger Plateau off the land and on the run from the Nazis. The book is a little short on detail and the story telling mechanical but its an easy to read summary.

RIP:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/10/world/europe/birger-stromsheim-who-aided-raid-on-nazi-plant-dies-at-101.html?_r=1&

Birger Stromsheim, Hero on Skis in an Anti-Nazi Raid, Dies at 101
By WILLIAM YARDLEY
Published: December 9, 2012

There was no Google Earth, no Gore-Tex and only a modest measure of hope on the February night in 1943 when six Norwegians parachuted into the remote and frigid Telemark region of their home country for an outdoor challenge like few others.

Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.

Twitter List: Reporters and Editors

They had skis and explosives and a destination: the German-controlled Norsk Hydro facility, high on an isolated and snowy ridge. The Norwegians intended to destroy equipment inside that the Germans were using to produce what is known as heavy water, a crucial ingredient in making a nuclear weapon and one they feared the Nazis would use to build an atomic bomb. One of the demolitions experts on the team, Birger Stromsheim, died Nov. 10 in Oslo at 101.

It was not the first attempt to destroy the heavy water equipment. Just a few months earlier another group of four Norwegians became stranded in the area after British soldiers for whom they were doing advance work were captured, tortured and eventually killed. That first group hunkered down for the winter in an abandoned cabin, built a makeshift radio from a car battery and stolen fishing rods and began planning their own rescue and another assault on Norsk Hydro. They ate lichen that they scraped from rocks, killed an occasional reindeer for meat and vigilantly avoided detection by the occupying Germans.

The second effort would not fail. After parachuting to a plateau, the second group, some of whom grew up in the area, skied in subzero temperatures for several days before uniting with the four stranded soldiers. The combined group then made its way to the opposite side of a steep gorge from the Norsk Hydro facility. With the only bridge across guarded by Nazis, they descended to the bottom and climbed to the top on the other side.

Mr. Stromsheim was 31 at the time of the assault, the oldest member of the mission. He was particularly respected for his expertise in explosives and for his calm.

“We didn’t think about whether it was dangerous or not,” Joachim Ronneberg, the leader of the mission, recalled in an interview in The Telegraph of London in 2010. “We didn’t think about our retreat.”

A Norwegian caretaker, a civilian, was the only person in the room where the heavy water was produced and he quickly agreed to cooperate with the soldiers. Mr. Ronneberg said that setting the dynamite proved to be “easy,” but the men still worried that they would be detected at any moment. They lighted a 30-second fuse and ran.

“They didn’t reckon that they would get out alive,” Mr. Stromsheim’s son, also named Birger, recalled in an interview for this obituary. “They weren’t sure of that. They were scared in some ways, but there was no panic.”

Stormy conditions helped muffle the explosion inside the building, and the men made it safely back across the gorge before the Nazis realized what had happened. Nazis searched the area for days afterward, but no shots were fired and no one was hurt in the second mission. Many years later, experts determined that the Nazis were far from being able to build a nuclear weapon.

Mr. Stromsheim, who grew up skiing, hiking and bicycling, was among several soldiers who made it to safety by skiing more than 200 miles to Sweden.

Birger Edvin Martin Stromsheim was born Oct. 11, 1911, in Alesund, Norway. His parents had a small farm. In addition to his son, survivors include a daughter, Liv Kristen Oygard; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. His wife, Aase Liv, died in 1997.

After the Germans took control of Norway in 1940, Mr. Stromsheim and his wife were among many people who left for England. Mr. Stromsheim had not been a soldier in Norway, but he became part of the Special Operations Executive, which the British formed to support and coordinate resistance in the occupied countries of Europe.

After the assault on Norsk Hydro, Mr. Stromsheim joined Mr. Ronneberg on other missions.

He and other members of the mission at Norsk Hydro received medals from several Allied countries. In 1965, Hollywood produced “The Heroes of Telemark,” a film starring Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris that included shootouts, dramatic chases through the snow and love scenes. The soldiers roundly panned the movie as unrealistic.

“He saw that,” Mr. Stromsheim’s son said. “He didn’t like it. It was too glamorous.”
Tacuero ceruisa, vigilate hoc
diamondcutter13
BFCus Regularus

Postby St John Smythe » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Ductigami: The Art of the Tape

St John Smythe
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Science, Strategy and War
The strategic theory of John Boyd
Frans. P. B. Osinga

The Collapse of Complex Societies
Joseph A. Tainter
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Ultra Swain » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 pm

What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby plaintext » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 am

“River of Shadows – Eadweard Muybridge and the Technological Wild West”.
Rebecca Solnit.

“Feynman’s Lost Lecture “ Goodstein & Goodstein

“The Day of the Jackal” Frederick Forsyth
plaintext
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 pm

Picked them both up for a fiver from a junk shop. Best fiver I've spent since monday's kebab.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 am

nowonmai wrote:Image

Picked them both up for a fiver from a junk shop. Best fiver I've spent since monday's kebab.

Bierman was a fag who died in a plane crash. I am tired of hearing of all the Brits who served in Burma and ended up doing shit loads of fuckall.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:53 am

Ultra Swain wrote:Bierman was a fag who died in a plane crash. I am tired of hearing of all the Brits who served in Burma and ended up doing shit loads of fuckall.

Wow. Touched a nerve there. Which was it, your ownership of Burma or his support for Jews? Anyway, Bierman was a journalist who died of old age and kidney failure. Do you want to try that rant again?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:49 pm

nowonmai wrote:
Ultra Swain wrote:Bierman was a fag who died in a plane crash. I am tired of hearing of all the Brits who served in Burma and ended up doing shit loads of fuckall.

Wow. Touched a nerve there. Which was it, your ownership of Burma or his support for Jews? Anyway, Bierman was a journalist who died of old age and kidney failure. Do you want to try that rant again?

Huh. I wonder what I was on about? Oh well, don't post drunk is all I can say.
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby nowonmai » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:09 pm

in vino veritas
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Freyja » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 pm

I've just finished up reading all of le Carre's books. Took me two years, but worth it. Now I'm working on Anna Karenina.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyja

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:48 am

Plum Ísland by Neilson Demille.

The dude writes a good book.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby ktrout » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 am

Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 am

ktrout wrote:The Horse, the Wheel, and Language: How Bronze-Age Riders from the Eurasian Steppes Shaped the Modern World.
Just started. It's a topic I've been interested in for some time.

I think I'll get that
what do you think so far?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe