Your current reading list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Your current reading list

Postby ktrout » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 am

I've been kindling on my Droid, but saw a real one up close last night. That screen and the slim form factor is pretty cool.
I read a quarter way through "The Gun" yesterday. The description of how disruptive the Industrial Revolution was on warfare is disturbing. Especially considering medicine lagged behind, probably causing hundreds of thousands of deaths in the American Civil War. I found the stories about when the Gatling gun was perfected and got used against "men who are without trousers" shocking.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 am

Chimborazo wrote:
Caliban wrote:I just bought a Kindle. After being a complete sceptic towards them I have seen the light . Fanfuckingtastic.

Downloaded up to now about 150 free books including loads of classics, loads of histories, books long out of print and difficult to get outside of days spent in second handbook shops and paying an arm and a leg and all absolutely free.
Uber impressed by its ease of use and the clarity of screen. I did have my doubts before but am now a total convert to the biblio grim reaper damn it. I can here the floor joists under my library sighing with relief.

I received one for my birthday and love it so far. The print is much crisper than on many paperbacks.

wow. I wonder how easy kindle is overseas? I'm not familiar with it at all;

can you still download stuff? The reason i ask is because sometimes i try to download music off of places like amazon, which are blocked overseas. If you can grab kindle books anywhere in the world, I would probably get one.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 pm

kindle is owned by amazon. might make things a bit more difficult, though i'm sure you can find alternate venders who sell in a compatible format.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Do you live outside the U.S. or U.K., or do you just travel a lot? Here's a page that will hopefully answer your questions - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200387080
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 pm

ktrout wrote:I've been kindling on my Droid, but saw a real one up close last night. That screen and the slim form factor is pretty cool.
I read a quarter way through "The Gun" yesterday. The description of how disruptive the Industrial Revolution was on warfare is disturbing. Especially considering medicine lagged behind, probably causing hundreds of thousands of deaths in the American Civil War. I found the stories about when the Gatling gun was perfected and got used against "men who are without trousers" shocking.

"Pity the poor old Hotentot for we have the Gatling and they do not " I love the Victorian Ditties.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Caliban » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:48 pm

kilroy wrote:kindle is owned by amazon. might make things a bit more difficult, though i'm sure you can find alternate venders who sell in a compatible format.

alternatively, load the 3500 books it holds before you go. They will download different formats like ebooks ad PDF as well so that widens horizons somewhat
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby kilroy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:56 pm

if you haven't made the purchase already, maybe consider waiting til msi or some other company comes out with that dual touchscreen netbook. instead of a keyboard it has another touchscreen, you can use it as a kindle that opens like a book, plus word processing and web browsing and other netbooky stuff.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:33 pm

kilroy wrote:if you haven't made the purchase already, maybe consider waiting til msi or some other company comes out with that dual touchscreen netbook. instead of a keyboard it has another touchscreen, you can use it as a kindle that opens like a book, plus word processing and web browsing and other netbooky stuff.

D'you mean an iPad? That's what mine does. And lovely it is too. :)
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby kilroy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm

Penta wrote:
kilroy wrote:if you haven't made the purchase already, maybe consider waiting til msi or some other company comes out with that dual touchscreen netbook. instead of a keyboard it has another touchscreen, you can use it as a kindle that opens like a book, plus word processing and web browsing and other netbooky stuff.

D'you mean an iPad? That's what mine does. And lovely it is too. :)

sort of. but it would be like a folding ipad, which to me seems much more ergonomically pleasing, as you can type normally without hunching over to look at the screen and you can close it up to avoide greasing up the screen(s) or having it rub on something in a backpack. also, i hate apple. their shit is way overhyped and overpriced. the msi model i spoke of would be about 1/3 of the price of an ipad. apple enthusiasts seem like a cult to me.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:01 pm

I've become an enthusiastic cultist. But this is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

but it would be like a folding ipad, which to me seems much more ergonomically pleasing, as you can type normally without hunching over to look at the screen and you can close it up to avoide greasing up the screen(s) or having it rub on something in a backpack.

I have a cover for my iPad which provides all of that. ;)
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby kilroy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:03 pm

how do you type without carpal tunnel twisting your wrists or hunching over the thing though?
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:09 am

The problem with all of these readers and tablets is that the company who owns them can censor or remove content and decides which applications you are allowed to use.

.....slaves talking about the lightness of their new chains.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Caliban » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:17 pm

coldharvest wrote:The problem with all of these readers and tablets is that the company who owns them can censor or remove content and decides which applications you are allowed to use.

Point taken BUT yesterday I downloaded 130 free classic books that I would mostly never have bought because i) Out of print ii) Originals too hard to find or iii)too expensive to buy all but a few.
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby kilroy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:17 pm

coldharvest wrote:The problem with all of these readers and tablets is that the company who owns them can censor or remove content and decides which applications you are allowed to use.

meh, the same could be said of any publisher and hard copy books. and you may have a point as far as the kindle or ipad, but a netbook that's running ubuntu or even windows would be a different story.

and as caliban says, out of print stuff is so much easier to get a hold of. it's baller.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:20 am

Nothing.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe