Your current reading list

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Your current reading list

Postby Mikethehack » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Image
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
User avatar
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus
 
Posts: 8405
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:34 pm
Location: The Irish colonies

Re: Your current reading list

Postby Eiriksson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:49 am

suwon fish wrote:Image

This book is the intertwined narratives of 3 UN staff. The book covers their work in Cambodia, Rwanda, Haiti, Somalia and Bosnia.

It's the story of tiny victories (and as many defeats) under almost impossible conditions. It's a bloody good read.


That (early, so it's not a spoiler) description of the Cambodian man waiting for his wife to die or recover from last-gasp malaria, sitting on his heels for HOURS...how many of you who've been to SE Asia have seen that exact same sitting position? I can barely do it for a minute before the knees give out on me.

It's just loaded with those little observations, and that's on top of the narratives. I find myself thinking about a dozen or so scenes from it regularly.
"What is true cannot be sad." ~ Esteban Montejo
Eiriksson
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 pm
Location: Grays Harbor

Re: Your current reading list

Postby flipflop » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Image

Ten out of ten, fucking eye-opener, not nice to pretty much the whole middle-class establishment, the media, parliament, entertainment. Keeps it's biggest barbs for New Labour and their focus on identity politics while abandoning the people the party was established to represent - the much-maligned post-industrial working-classes.

And that Katherine Tate, Matt Lucas and David Walliams can fuck off too.

Cheers
Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country - Bertrand Russell
User avatar
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus
 
Posts: 8382
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Arse Full Of Chips

Re: Your current reading list

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:50 pm

flipflop wrote:Image

Ten out of ten, fucking eye-opener, not nice to pretty much the whole middle-class establishment, the media, parliament, entertainment. Keeps it's biggest barbs for New Labour and their focus on identity politics while abandoning the people the party was established to represent - the much-maligned post-industrial working-classes.

And that Katherine Tate, Matt Lucas and David Walliams can fuck off too.

Cheers



I shall peruse this literally stuff whilst drinking cheap cider on a bench outside the off licence near the local councle estate. Innit.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
User avatar
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard
 
Posts: 8953
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:28 am
Location: Airport Inn trailer park

Re: Your current reading list

Postby vagabond » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Eiriksson wrote:
suwon fish wrote:Image

This book is the intertwined narratives of 3 UN staff. The book covers their work in Cambodia, Rwanda, Haiti, Somalia and Bosnia.

It's the story of tiny victories (and as many defeats) under almost impossible conditions. It's a bloody good read.


That (early, so it's not a spoiler) description of the Cambodian man waiting for his wife to die or recover from last-gasp malaria, sitting on his heels for HOURS...how many of you who've been to SE Asia have seen that exact same sitting position? I can barely do it for a minute before the knees give out on me.

It's just loaded with those little observations, and that's on top of the narratives. I find myself thinking about a dozen or so scenes from it regularly.


I've seen the squat and people look at me funny when there's no bench nearby and I emulate it here in the West. It's actually a comfortable sitting position if you get it right (and builds some good thighs).

Re: Emergency Sex. I enjoyed that book and it added a lot onto what I had already read about the UN and how messed up things on the ground can be there. It might sound misogynist but I preferred the mens's stories over the female's -- they seemed to have much more real depth and things to say about what was going on whereas it seemed she would natter on about her latest foreign affair and then maybe throw in how an operation went fucked up.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
User avatar
vagabond
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 5126
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: LA

Re: Your current reading list

Postby vagabond » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:13 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I shall peruse this literally stuff whilst drinking cheap cider on a bench outside the off licence near the local councle estate. Innit.


Don't forget to wear your hoody, spit a good deal, and stab someone.

See you at Wetherspoons
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
User avatar
vagabond
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 5126
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:20 pm
Location: LA

Re: Your current reading list

Postby kilroy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:54 pm

just picked this guy up whilst in minneapolis last week:

Image
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
User avatar
kilroy
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 5691
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:34 am
Location: Alabambam

Re: Your current reading list

Postby nowonmai » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Image

Good so far. The (first) US Civil War in under 400 pages.
User avatar
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 11542
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Re: Your current reading list

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 pm

nowonmai wrote:Image

Good so far. The (first) US Civil War in under 400 pages.

It's a superb book.
I take it you've read Shelby Foote's books?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
User avatar
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman
 
Posts: 25677
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Island of Misfit Toys

Re: Your current reading list

Postby kilroy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:03 am

coldharvest wrote:Shelby Foote?


the man is a stone cold pimp.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
User avatar
kilroy
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 5691
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:34 am
Location: Alabambam

Re: Your current reading list

Postby nowonmai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:33 pm

kilroy wrote:
coldharvest wrote:Shelby Foote?


the man is a stone cold pimp.


Really? Maybe I will read his books after all.
User avatar
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 11542
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Re: Your current reading list

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:18 am

Been readin cop thrillers by a dude called Stuart MacBride. Funny stuff. Its about an Alcoholic cop and his dyke boss set in Aberdeen.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
User avatar
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard
 
Posts: 8953
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:28 am
Location: Airport Inn trailer park

Re: Your current reading list

Postby michelle in alaska » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:06 am

Image
yes. yes,. i've blabbed about how much i like this book already...
...and btw, Horwitz has an interesting visit and conversation w Shelby Foote....amongst many other interesting visits including backstore confederate museums not open to the general public. and beyond....
i'm getting ready to embark on a mini civil 'wargasm' of various civil war battle sites and memorials. first stop: Antietam. I'm embarrassed to say that i had to ask how to pronounce that, initially. I'm from minnesota. too northern to have that battle talked about much...
i guess i'm so intrigued, because the emotion this war generated is still very much alive. but lord, will i be dying from the heat....
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 2531
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:45 am

Re: Your current reading list

Postby nowonmai » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:56 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:Image
yes. yes,. i've blabbed about how much i like this book already...
...and btw, Horwitz has an interesting visit and conversation w Shelby Foote....amongst many other interesting visits including backstore confederate museums not open to the general public. and beyond....
i'm getting ready to embark on a mini civil 'wargasm' of various civil war battle sites and memorials. first stop: Antietam. I'm embarrassed to say that i had to ask how to pronounce that, initially. I'm from minnesota. too northern to have that battle talked about much...
i guess i'm so intrigued, because the emotion this war generated is still very much alive. but lord, will i be dying from the heat....


Antietam will indeed be a wargasm. I'd love to see that place and personally would also pick out Fredericksburg and Beaver Dam Creek (Mechanicsville).
User avatar
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 11542
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:52 pm

Re: Your current reading list

Postby Devlin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:52 am

Image
User avatar
Devlin
BFCus Regularus
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests

cron