Education level at the BFC

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Education level of BFC'rs

Grade 12
14%
Up to 2 years post seconday
7%
2-4 Post secondary
14%
Bachelor
50%
Masters
11%
PhD
5%

Total votes : 44

Education level at the BFC

Postby fgmsociety » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:48 am

I noticed that some people have indepth answers that require either a high personal interest in current events or topics that may corresponde with research for university assignments. I have a BA and two years of college, but find that out of school, information and new topics are rather fleeting..could also be a time issue...
fgmsociety
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:02 am

I have a associates degree in liberal arts from Chaminade-University of Honolulu...and I have about a year left to finish (if i decide to) my Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology at the University of Hawaii-Manoa....
So, yes I am probably the Least educated person here at the BFC among so many mental GIANTS!
Sure wish my mom had not dropped me so hard on my head when i was 3 or else i may have been PRESIDENT by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:08 am

I finished high school, went through 4 years in the military an a year of college.
I think you forgot a spot on the poll for those still in high school though.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

asdf

Postby Piggs » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:21 am

Due to many many military interuptions...I am still trying to finish my Bachelors Degree
ImageImage
Piggs
BFCus Regularus

Hmm.....

Postby Tejas » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:41 am

where is the option for kindergarten?
"Every year you get worse. More booze, more bullshit, more buttfucking"- Marcus (Bad Santa)
Tejas
BFCus Regularus

Mach

Postby DawnC71 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:10 am

Mach,
You are obviously an intelligent man regardless of whether or not you finished high school bud! I don't think fgm was trying to rag on anyone of us who may not be as "educated" as some others....I just wanted to say that because you sounded a little bitter about the question he asked. You can have a 8th grade education, be learning disabled, deaf, mute and blind and still manage to be a genius in some respects ...I personally believe that almost everyone is of the same mental capacity as the next person...if you read and write then you can make your own education, as you obviously have given your eloquence with the language...Remember, a college "degree" does not a smart woman (or man) make. It is a piece of paper and many of us place much too much emphasis on it, or we feel embarrased or less than if someone has one or two more pieces of paper than we do. You know what I say...."grab the matches and break out the S'mores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Cuz most people who manage to graduate from college only know about 7 percent more about the world than I do. Some of them know much less than that. and get this: Some cannot even think far enough ahead in the game to balance a checkbook. When i knew that college was pretty useless was when...w.ell after I began falling asleep in class....one of my political science professors declared bankruptcy...not because of lack of money really but because he could not organize even the simplest tasks like paying bills on time, balancing his funds and saying "no" when that little voice inside told him to BUY BUY BUY. So you are probably better off than you might think Mach my friend.
However, to all of you who have the staying power to go after those higher degrees though, I will say congratulations for being a more disciplined person than myself as far as studying etc.. Me, I am just too damn restless and I "daydream" (my 4th grade teacher's remarks) too much about being anyplace other than where I am in the world usually. I cannot keep a thought in my head for very long. So, staying with one subject in school was always difficult.
Oh and, also, we have ALL been through a few classes in the school of hard knocks.(I guess those are the required classes to graduate from life)..anybody who claims to have never had a difficult time is a damn fool ass liar or at the very least a hopelessly romantic Moe-ron....just as anyone who believes they have had so much more of a rough time than anybody else in the world will remain immobile and bitter and wondering all the time, "Why Me God? Whyyyyy Meeeeee?" No one persons struggles are any worse or easier than any other person's....Pain is Pain...Life is Life....so enjoy all of it cause you can bet your behind that Death is most certainly Death and when it comes knocking there is not too much you can do about the past, present, or future except hope that you survived all of it with a little dignity and tried to have a little fun while doing it. I dont think life is meant to be lived in regret about ANYTHING. I certainly dont regret anything I have ever done or, for that matter, not done so far.
You are VERY eloquent though Mach and obviously not as poorly educated as you might think. So, ease up on yourself....you are doing alright dude!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Gates

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:47 am

Everyone pulls out the "Gates is a university dropout" line while neglecting to point out that there is a far higher percentage of postgraduate education amongst new millionaires than non-millionaires. But if it makes you feel better...
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:29 am

There are also alot of drug dealers making more money than most of us here I bet. Just cuz Bill Gates dropped out of school does not mean another can do it and make millions ...just like OBVIOUSLY, with the drug problem in this country and elsewhere, if you decide to sell drugs for a living and make millions it does not mean you will wind up dead or in the pennitentiary...It is all relative right? Stats are useless and make no case for individual success.
Cheers,
Dawn
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Edumacated Like Them Rich Folkses

Postby SRR » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:17 am

A friend of mine has been taking part time courses at a local university and freely admits he can get an A while learning nothing.

Then there are the perma-students who spend a decade reading obscure post-renaissance literature and get perfect marks in all their courses and can't even properly pour the coffee at Starbucks. And then there's all my engineer friends who worked their asses off for 5 years in uni only to be in work for three months and out of work for nine.

But overall you're better off if you have a degree. I've been interviewed in places simply because of a degree qualification, even if my background was something totally different than what that place was involved in.

I still say that after the Revolution, the only skills you will really need are shooting and foraging, and orating. Command the troops to do your bidding.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

My school

Postby muskrat » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:49 am

School Of Hard Knocks class of '74

Hey TCR is that the beastie boys? some more dragon ball Z would be good.

cheers MR
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Coldharvest

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:33 pm

You met a guy who works in a pub who had 4 degrees? That's your argument against higher education?

IMHO it's about playing the numbers. More than half of the Fortune 500's top 800 executives have at least one graduate degree and most have at least an undergrad degree. (I cannot find the exact figure on undergraduate degreesother than "most").

Sure not everyone who gets a degree will become a F500 CEO, but those who don't get a degree have almost certainly excluded themselves before even trying.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

A few facts from the US

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:55 pm

I imagine these statistics would be fairly indicative of most developed countries:

People older than 20 who have a degree or higher have a higher labourforce participation rate than those without degrees.

About 43% of undergraduates enrolled in postsecondary education during the 1999-2000 academic year were age 24 or older. Most of these older undergraduates (82%) worked while enrolled in postsecondary education.

38% of citizens who had not completed high school voted in 2000, compared with 77% of those with a bachelor's degree or higher.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:25 pm

The universities (even some of the top business schools) neglect to teach their students the most important skill you can have in any economy:

How to recognize and capitalize on opportunity.

It's only those learn this (often at a young age from a savvy father) that take control of their lives and their world.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby WillyBlues » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:30 pm

Currently working on my Masters because I have been told by recruiters and business's alike that my experience level is adequate but the job pool is full of MBA/MA/MS. Never really planned on getting one since I believe experience is the best training/qualification. Corporate america thinks otherwise
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."
WillyBlues
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:52 pm

Never forget the difference between knowledge and enlightment, or facts vs wisdom....

They don't teach that at school...but do you where I can get a job running the student pub.....that sounds like a worthy career...preying on naive drunk college girls and shoveling bs all night.....do you need a Masters for that???? And I will need an animal house to live in...someplace where I can park my motorcycle upstairs...
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe