Just Curious....how many BFC members have actully skydived?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

would you jump out of a "perfectly good airplane"?

There are no "perfectly good airplanes".
29%
Hell fucking NO!!!!!!!
23%
i would think about it...
48%

Total votes : 31

Just Curious....how many BFC members have actully skydived?

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:26 am

tandem jumps count. just curious as to how many here have actually jumped (jumper no need to answer :) also are any of you USPA members? and what DZ do you jump?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

In the old days...

Postby jonas » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:05 am

Before I trashed my knee I jumped regularly. I've logged about 180 jumps which those who don't jump always think is a bunch...but there are lots of regular and professionals with thousands of jumps. 5, 6 and even 10 thousand jumps commonly can be seen in the logs of experienced jumpers. Where I lived the DZs were only open on weekends...in nicer climes it is a 365 day thing and some people even live and work at the airports...lucky bastards. Hard work to do it for a job though...lots of packing and shit work involved. And tandem pilots work really hard to keep all those floppy retard passengers from dying...I know a few with bad backs.

It is lots of fun...and costly! Depending on your discipline within the sport it can be hard on the body (particularly the spine from the repetetive compression of openings which most pros will scoff at...and neck injuries in camera flyers from the extra weight of cameras on the head during openings-lessened by the smaller cameras and helmet systems today)) There are usually two types of people who do it. Those who go once or twice or maybe take a tandem ride...and those who become addicted and spend all their free money and time doing it. It's a bit like a surfer culture...anyway....

Enjoy
jonas

Postby DawnC71 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:43 am

My Armyu jump log has 73 static line jumps logged.
24 day Hollywood
49 Jumps/ Combat equip Nighttime Jumps.....

a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllion No-Go for weather and whatever the fuck

I currently have 5 tandem jums and hopefully will do my first solo dive tomorrow weather and assinine ground guys bedamned.
Cheers,
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

It's a blast

Postby jonas » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:50 am

In the civvie route the static line pathway consists of a min of 5 static line jumps followed by progressively longer freefalls until you are turned loose. There really is nothing like freefall...it's an amazing feeling. It's usually only 30 sec to 1 min depending on altitude but there is so much feeling compressed into that time.

My longest jump was from 30,000 ft at the World Freefall Convention (a weeklong event held in Quincy, IL each August) It gave us about 2 min of freefall and was incredible. The aircraft was a hot rodded King Air that could climb like a mutha! Anyone who has been there is familiar with it and it's owner.

You will love it....stay safe!
jonas

Postby DawnC71 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:01 am

Oh I am in AFF scholl right now
no static lines for me no mo'!
Cheers.
Dawn
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Slam » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:03 am

I done my static line course last August and have since racked up a whopping 4 jumps. I'm looking to get my freefall done sometime this summer. Scotland sucks for skydiving because of the weather. It's either too rainy or too windy (or both).

I've often wonder if a bottle of Stolichnaya would be enough to talk a pilot in Afghanistan into taking some skydivers out. "Where's the DZ?" "That little piece of ground without the landmines."

BASE jumping is my ultimate goal within the sport. In fact, it was watching BASE jumpers on TV that orginally made me go and do the static line course.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Postby goat balls » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:11 am

Crotalus.........when I was in training command, two guys from my squadron were out flying and a huge turkey buzzard smashed into the windshield and knocked out the front pilot and continued into the rear cockpit and knocked out the instructor pilot. The instructor woke up and couldn't see, badly dazed he ejected his canopy and bailed out. The student pilot woke up and wiped the blood from his face, ejected the canopy and climbed out onto the wing. It was at this point that he realized that the plane was fine and climbed back into the cockpit and flew it home.

Just one more reason not to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Guy was later killed when he had a runaway engine and tried to fly it home anyway. He was too fast to bail out.
goat balls
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:43 am

no sky diving, but plenty of jumps when i was in 3rd bn. if i had not effed up my back and neck i would still be with them. i would love to do some civi sky diving, but it will have to wait until i get back to the states, which could be some time.
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:10 pm

My biggest fear is falling.

I don't like mimes either, nor when people tell me an animal can "sense fear"

My ultimate nightmare would be skydiving with a mime instructor and a nervous horse as pilot of the plane.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby DawnC71 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:15 pm

Wow Kurt...you sure have vivid dreams...My dreams merely consist of me being chased....cuz, usually, I am being chased by some damned fool..Heehee!
i wanna go the distance with this skydiving thing.....whatever that distance currently is.
Cheers,
Dawn

PS I was going to say if I had dreams like you I would quit cuz it would seem to hard to make 'em work in the real world
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:25 pm

funny Kurt. you should give skydiving a try. i hate heights myself. according to my instructor, something like 95% of all skydivers have a fear of heights. as far as falling goes, there is no sensation of falling believe it or not. something about the forward motion of the airplane. and there is nothing that can compare to freefall, especially when you learn to control the wind.
Goat Balls - there is NO such thing as a perfectly good airplane. theres also no such thing as a perfectly good parachute, thats why we carry two of them.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Medevac » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:40 pm

180 something jumps, 1 cutaway so far. (As Jonas says, 180 isn't as much as it sounds)
My first jump was at age 16 (forged parents signature on the release form) because I was scared of heights and wondered if I could do the whole 'moment of truth' thingee. (began rockclimbing for similar reasons)
Loved it. The grin on my face threatened to have the top of my head falling off.
Jumped with the NZ and British military, mainly static lines (46 from memory) but waddling out of a C130 with a Bergen swinging between your legs like a dark green scrotum isn't as much fun as civvie jumps.
Some mates are trying to talk me into BASE jumping now, which is tempting, but I haven't been suckered in yet. Any BASE jumpers here?
I'm also one of the feew people who will fly planes AND jump out of them. Pilots and Jumpers are almost mutually exclusive. (Pilots who will jump voluntarily I mean, ejections don't count)
Last edited by Medevac on Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:44 pm

whats the point of a BASE jump? no freeefall, and also where most folks burn in. only BASE i would do would be Angel Falls, and its only technically a BASE jump since you wear a regular skydiving pack and not a BASE modified pack. 2K is a pretty long way up, more than enough time for a cutaway if you get fouled...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby DawnC71 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:44 pm

I will be a BASE jumper someday.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Medevac » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:47 pm

BASE jumping - granted the freefall is a bit limited, but you don't have to pay the taxi driver, sorry pilot, plus you get one hell of a ground rush - Rwoarr.
Duct tape is just like the Force - it has a light side and a dark side, and holds the Universe together.
Medevac
Peanuticus Gallerius

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe