Firearms Used in School-Associated Violent Deaths

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Firearms Used in School-Associated Violent Deaths

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:31 pm

During July 1, 1992--June 30, 1999, a total of 323 school-associated violent death events occurred in the United States, resulting in 358 deaths (1,2). To guide prevention efforts, CDC examined school-associated firearm violent death events committed by students in elementary and secondary schools in the United States and determined the sources of the firearms used in these events. The findings indicate that, among the incidents for which data are available, the majority of the firearms used in these events were obtained from perpetrators' homes or from friends or relatives. The safe storage of firearms is critically important and should be continued. In addition, other strategies that might prevent firearm-related injuries and deaths among students, such as safety and design changes for firearms, should be evaluated.

A school-associated violent death event was defined as a firearm-related homicide or suicide in which the homicide perpetrator or the suicide victim was an elementary or secondary school student and the fatal injury occurred during July 1, 1992--June 30, 1999, either 1) on the campus of a functioning public or private elementary or secondary school in the United States, 2) while the victim was on the way to or from regular sessions at such a school, or 3) while the victim was attending or traveling to or from an official school-sponsored event. Cases of school-associated violent deaths were identified through a systematic search of two computerized newspaper and broadcast media databases (Lexis-Nexis and Dialog). Data on the types of weapons used and their sources were collected through interviews with school and police officials and by reviewing official police reports. A perpetrator was defined as a student who committed either a homicide or suicide. Firearms used by perpetrators who committed a homicide and then killed themselves (i.e., a homicide-suicide event) were included in analyses of firearms used by homicide perpetrators.

During July 1, 1992--June 30, 1999, a total of 218 student perpetrators were involved directly in a school-associated homicide or suicide; 123 (56.4%) of these persons used at least one firearm at the time of the event. Among the student perpetrators who were carrying a firearm at the time of the event, 33 (26.8%) committed suicide, 85 (69.1%) perpetrated a homicide, and five (4.1%) perpetrated a homicide-suicide. The majority of these student perpetrators were male (n = 115 [93.5%]). The median age of student perpetrators was 16 years (range: 10--21 years). Of the 90 homicide perpetrators (homicide and homicide-suicide combined), 14 (15.6%) participated in a multiple-victim homicide event, and 76 (84.4%) participated in a single-victim homicide event. One student committed suicide as part of a multiple-victim suicide event.

Five student perpetrators were carrying two firearms each, resulting in a total of 128 firearms used in these events. Of the 128 firearms, 48 (37.5%) came from the perpetrator's home, and 30 (23.4%) came from a friend or relative of the perpetrator; 26 (76.5%) of the firearms used by a student to commit suicide came from the home of the student, and 48 (51.0%) of the firearms used in homicide events came from the home (n = 22 [23.4%]) or from a friend or relative (n = 26 [27.6%]) of the homicide perpetrator (Table 1). The source of 29 (22.7%) firearms used by student perpetrators was unknown.

Firearms used by students who committed a school-associated suicide were approximately 11 times more likely (odds ratio [OR] = 11.5; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 4.4--30.1) to come from their home than firearms used by students who committed homicide (Table 2). Multiple-victim events were more likely to involve firearms from the home than single-victim events (OR = 3.7; 95% CI = 1.2--11.6). Firearms from the home were used more often by female perpetrators than male perpetrators (OR = 5.3; 95% CI = 1.0--27.0) and by non-Hispanic white perpetrators than perpetrators from other racial/ethnic groups (OR = 11.5; 95% CI = 4.6--28.7). Perpetrators from two-parent families were four times more likely to use a firearm obtained from their home than perpetrators from single-parent/caretaker families (OR = 4.0; 95% CI = 1.9--8.6). In addition, firearms used by perpetrators with no criminal history (OR = 3.8; 95% CI = 1.7--8.6) and perpetrators with no previous gang involvement (OR = 18.9; 95% CI = 4.3--83.3) were more likely to come from home than the firearms used by perpetrators who were members of a gang or had a criminal history.

Reported by: A Reza, MD, Emory Univ School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia. W Modzeleski, MS, Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, U.S. Dept of Education. T Feucht, PhD, National Institute of Justice, U.S. Dept of Justice. M Anderson, MD, TR Simon, PhD, Div of Violence Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control; L Barrios, DrPH, Div of Adolescent and School Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, CDC.
Editorial Note:

The findings in this report indicate that the firearms used in school-associated homicides and suicides committed by student perpetrators came primarily from perpetrators' homes or from friends or relatives. Students who committed a school-associated suicide or a multiple-victim homicide were more likely to have obtained firearms from their homes than from any other source.

Prevention strategies to reduce firearm homicides and suicides among children and youth typically involve both behavior-oriented and product-oriented approaches. Behavior-oriented approaches (e.g., firearm-safety counseling and child-access prevention laws for parents and firearm-avoidance and firearm-safety programs for children) rarely have been evaluated, and those that have been evaluated have shown limited effectiveness in reducing firearm violence (3).

One behavior-oriented approach in reducing firearm violence is firearm-safety counseling by pediatric health-care providers. Pediatric providers have been encouraged to counsel parents on the risks for having firearms in the home and the need to store them securely (4). Typical recommendations include storing firearms unloaded and locked with a trigger lock or in a locked firearm safe or portable locked handgun box. However, counseling alone might not be effective in preventing firearm homicides and suicides among children and youth (5,6). This might be because male parents, who are more likely to own firearms and know how they are stored than female parents, are less likely to bring their children to the pediatrician's office (7,8). Even when they are aware of a firearm in the home, parents with teenaged children are less likely to store firearms safely than parents with younger children, despite the fact that older children are at greater risk for firearm death (9).

The results of this study also indicate that it is not enough for parents to eliminate unsupervised access to firearms in their home; approximately 25% of the firearms used in school-associated homicides were obtained from friends or relatives. Parents should consider discussing access to firearms and safe-storage practices with their relatives and the parents of their children's friends (4).

The findings in this report are subject to at least four limitations. First, because events were identified from news media reports, any event not reported in the media was excluded. Second, this report includes events associated with schools; other homicide and suicide events involving school-aged perpetrators might have different firearm-acquisition patterns. Third, the results reported for homicide events might not reflect the true distribution of sources because the source of the firearms in approximately 25% of these events is unknown. Finally, among the student perpetrators who obtained their firearms from home or from friends or relatives, how the students gained access to these firearms is unknown.

The safe storage of firearms is critically important and should be continued. In addition to safe storage of firearms, changing the design of firearms might prevent firearm injuries among teenagers and younger children by making firearms more difficult to use unintentionally or intentionally if stolen or obtained illegally (10). Many safety features for firearms (e.g., grip safety mechanisms, loaded chamber indicators, and magazine disconnect devices) are intended to reduce unintentional firearm injuries. Emerging technologies (e.g., personalization of handguns) are designed to prevent unauthorized users of any age from firing a firearm and might reduce access to firearms by adolescents (10). Although changing product design has benefitted child-poisoning prevention efforts and motor-vehicle safety programs, the impact of product-oriented approaches in reducing youth firearm violence is unknown and requires evaluation (10). However, the findings in this report can assist parents, school personnel, and the community at large in developing and implementing prevention strategies to decrease school-associated firearm injuries.
References

1. Kachur SP, Stennies GM, Powell KE, et al. School-associated violent deaths in the United States, 1992--1994. JAMA 1996;275:1729--33.
2. Anderson M, Kaufman J, Simon TR, et al. School-associated violent deaths in the United States, 1994--1999. JAMA 2001;286:2695--702.
3. Hardy MS. Behavior-oriented approaches to reducing youth gun violence. Future Child 2002;12:100--17.
4. American Academy of Pediatrics. Keep your family safe from firearm injury. Available at http://www.aap.org/advocacy/d1family.htm.
5. Oatis PJ, Fenn Buderer NM, Cummings P, Fleitz R. Pediatric practice based evaluation of the Steps to Prevent Firearm Injury Program. Inj Prev 1999;5:48--52.
6. Grossman DC, Cummings P, Koepsell TD, et al. Firearm safety counseling in primary care pediatrics: a randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics 2000;106:22--6.
7. Nelson DE, Powell K, Johnson CJ, Mercy J, Grant-Worley JA. Household firearm storage practices: do responses differ by whether or not individuals ever use firearms? Am J Prev Med 1999;16:298--302.
8. Ludwig J, Cook PJ, Smith TW. The gender gap in reporting household gun ownership. Am J Public Health 1998;88:1715--8.
9. Schuster MA, Franke TM, Bastian AM, Sor S, Halfon N. Firearm storage patterns in U.S. homes with children. Am J Public Health 2000;90:588--94.
10. Teret SP, Culross PL. Product-oriented approaches to reducing youth gun violence. Future Child 2002;12:118--31.

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:39 pm

So yet again, I ask the question: do Europeans do anything interesting with their lives, or just sit about conceitedly clucking about the Americans?

People like FF seem to be the exception, not the rule.

Khalampre was right.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:30 pm

Europe is boring because its citizens to do not have the constitutional right to walk around schools wasting kids.

However, Robert Steinhäuser did try to lobby the German government for the right to do so, although his argument was not very persuasive. He only killed 16 people, which was half the amount sent to the big frat house in the sky by Seung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech. Pekka-Eric Auvinen tried to do the same for Eskimos, which normally settle their grievances with snowballs.

Everything is bigger and better (and less boring) in America.

NB. Steinhäuser used a 9mm Semi-automatic Glock 17 Pistol and a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun, both of which were licensed.

Despite the number of weapons on the ground in Northern Ireland, not one of those lazy Irish bastards could work up the enthusiasm to go around to Holy Cross and liquidate those annoying schoolkids.

Beslan was not quite in same league because it was a Russian government initiative on behalf of its armed forces. Its citizens were not given the right, but that is because Russia is not a democracy. If you want the right to kill kids in Europe, you have to join the army.

I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby OneLungMcClung » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Mikethehack wrote:Europe is boring because its citizens to do not have the constitutional right to walk around schools wasting kids.

Fucking brilliant. Sarcasm doesn't suit you, nor does trolling, so you might leave that for insolent bitches like Penta who have nothing better to do than prove that they have a far better ability to twist words, waste time, troll, and then decry any of her detractors as sexist and uneducated.

Did you lose someone in a US school shooting? Do you know someone affected by it? Why do you give a shit? You're better than this - your work is worth reading, you've traveled extensively, and you usually have really informative and educational things to say in the BFC.

Mikethehack wrote:However, Robert Steinhäuser did try to lobby the German government for the right to do so, although his argument was not very persuasive. He only killed 16 people, which was half the amount sent to the big frat house in the sky by Seung-Hui Cho at Virginia Tech. Pekka-Eric Auvinen tried to do the same for Eskimos, which normally settle their grievances with snowballs.

Everything is bigger and better (and less boring) in America.

See above - more lame sarcasm on your part. Steinhauser was just as motivated as the Columbine shooters - an angry, misunderstood, socially isolated kid who got his hands on a weapon and lashed out. Cho was a kid with severe psychosis and a rare psychological disease called selective mutism. If it wasn't VTec, it would have been somewhere else. I have no idea what point you are trying to make. "Everything is bigger and better in America". Goddamn straight it is. Pretty sad that you make that point using a death toll. When you do that you sound like those fourteen year old boys who watched Shock and Awe on the news and likened it to their HALO score, Mike. WTF?

Mikethehack wrote:NB. Steinhäuser used a 9mm Semi-automatic Glock 17 Pistol and a 12 gauge pump-action shotgun, both of which were licensed.

Alot of fucking good that gun control did, huh mate???!?! Good thing they were licensed - that sure stops the crime!

The genie is out of the bottle in the US, Mike. There are somewhere between 150 - 300 million firearms here. Gun control won't do fuck all to stem any violence. I detest it because it victimizes the law abiding and allows scumbag politicians to say "they've done something" when they really haven't.

I think Africa will get rid of it's guns long before they are gone form the United States.

Mikethehack wrote:Despite the number of weapons on the ground in Northern Ireland, not one of those lazy Irish bastards could work up the enthusiasm to go around to Holy Cross and liquidate those annoying schoolkids.

Which begs the question of why you are minding our business instead of relishing the sunshine and lollipops that Northern Ireland apparently is.

Mikethehack wrote:Beslan was not quite in same league because it was a Russian government initiative on behalf of its armed forces. Its citizens were not given the right, but that is because Russia is not a democracy. If you want the right to kill kids in Europe, you have to join the army.

Beslan was Russia's Waco. I, again, fail to see the link to US school shootings, so i must have missed the point here. Beslan was a total cluster fuck of uncoordinated government agencies (just like our Waco), dedicated cultists (just like Waco), and a huge operation gone very bad (just like, well, hopefully you get the point.) Why are you knocking the European army? I don't get that either. You've basically just painted a very large number of men and women dedicated to a tough job with a huge, ignorant brush - something that Euros accuse Americans of all the time.

I usually enjoy reading your posts. You've been places I haven't and seen things that I have yet to see. But this is about the third time you've brought up school shootings in the gun forum. What's on your mind, dude?

And more importantly, MTH, since it concerns you so much, what would you do about it? Hopefully something more than trolling a forum..
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 pm

insolent bitches like Penta

What a charmer you are, OLMEC.

and then decry any of her detractors as sexist

I wonder why. (See above.)
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby Mikethehack » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:04 pm

The (admittedly strong) temptation is to grab a gun, go round to Pentaville, stick my Glock in Mr Penta's face and say:
"I'm taking that bitch with me!!!" which I could blame on a rare psychological disease called selective mutism.

Unfortunately, she needs to be in the US if I want to do that, so instead, in boring old Europe, I will have to bow before her and Mr Penta and say:
"Kind sir, may I have the honour of asking your lovely wife for a dance?"

Europe sucks.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby Stiv » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Mike a query of this sort is usually asked for a few reasons.

Do you want enlightenment of some sort? (Writing an article perhaps?)

Are you going to make a point and then perhaps reveal a contrasting opinion/agenda for a constructive reason?

Do you have particularly nagging gripe that for some current reason is bothering you and since there is no easy conveinient remedy decided to share it with others in order to make whomever may take dissimilar view (choose any particular term you'd like for discomfort/annoyance)?

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Penta wrote:

Haha! I didn't think that would work - you actually took the bait? The fact that you, a person who "has no need for a gun" (to paraphrase you) are in here, a forum composed of hairy men dedicated to the worship of fully automatic weapons, validates everything I said (except the "insolent bitches" part - that was the bait). I don't normally troll but that was hilarious, thank you. I'm having mad ROFLs right now. Win!

I apologize for nothing - you are a consummate debater, and you are wasting your time here. You should be an MP, or at least an assistant to someone who engages in political debate. You would make an awesome litigator too. Your mastery of the English language and the subtlety of word play are phenomenal; which begs the question of why your goal is "debate", read that inflame, people about politics on a forum that was once dedicated to travel in dangerous places. I admit respect for you - most people simply post on forums where everyone else thinks like them, so they can have a pulpit of like-minded drones. The substance for you is the fight.

Your posts from SA were wonderful. The kind of meat that this place is made of, and all viewers loved it, whether they are travelers themselves (you), travelers who can't travel because they are committed to other goals at the moment (me), or people who get a vicarious thrill and some sense of life away from the cubicle off of seeing it. I tuned in from a 3 month step away to see them and was delighted. And then it was back to the same old grind.

Khalampre was right. I've been lurking this forum since '04, I registered... last year? The BFC has really undergone a tidal shift into something less attractive than it once was. I miss it.
Last edited by OneLungMcClung on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Mikethehack wrote:The (admittedly strong) temptation is to grab a gun, go round to Pentaville, stick my Glock in Mr Penta's face and say:
"I'm taking that bitch with me!!!" which I could blame on a rare psychological disease called selective mutism.

Unfortunately, she needs to be in the US if I want to do that, so instead, in boring old Europe, I will have to bow before her and Mr Penta and say:
"Kind sir, may I have the honour of asking your lovely wife for a dance?"

Europe sucks.

No it doesn't, Europe rocks. It is a society of interesting people and lots of things to see and do. You should go there sometime.

which I could blame on a rare psychological disease called selective mutism.

If you blamed it on this you would be part of the problem, not the solution. I can tell you're being facetious here, but still...

Stiv wrote:Mike a query of this sort is usually asked for a few reasons.

Do you want enlightenment of some sort? (Writing an article perhaps?)

Are you going to make a point and then perhaps reveal a contrasting opinion/agenda for a constructive reason?

Do you have particularly nagging gripe that for some current reason is bothering you and since there is no easy conveinient remedy decided to share it with others in order to make whomever may take dissimilar view (choose any particular term you'd like for discomfort/annoyance)?

~Stiv

Indeed, MTH. I want to know what is up. I wouldn't waste my time with a sarcastic response of "wanting to know" if I didn't. You have posted that before, in other threads. So why are you worked up about it?
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Penta » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:03 pm

OneLungMcClung wrote:
Penta wrote:

Haha! I didn't think that would work - you actually took the bait?

Yup. And I'm doing it again. I usually do. Got to fight your corner, y'know.

The fact that you, a person who "has no need for a gun" (to paraphrase you) are in here, a forum composed of hairy men dedicated to the worship of fully automatic weapons, validates everything I said (except the "insolent bitches" part - that was the bait).

You're right: I usually steer well clear of this forum. Gun porn does nothing for me. But of course I was alerted to it in a PM. So I can assume either you were lying about the bait or there was collusion. (You know who you are, PMer.) :)

I don't normally troll but that was hilarious, thank you. I'm having mad ROFLs right now. Win!

Enjoy it while you can.

you are a consummate debater

I think you should check with ROB, kilroy and Jäeger on that one.

most people simply post on forums where everyone else thinks like them, so they can have a pulpit of like-minded drones

That would be no fun at all. And I wouldn't learn a thing.

Your posts from SA were wonderful. The kind of meat that this place is made of, and all viewers loved it, whether they are travelers themselves (you), travelers who can't travel because they are committed to other goals at the moment (me), or people who get a vicarious thrill and some sense of life away from the cubicle off of seeing it. I tuned in from a 3 month step away to see them and was delighted.

Thank you. Unfortunately I only do that sort of thing every 2 or 3 years. I do throw in the odd travelling tale from times past every now and then though.

And then it was back to the same old grind.

Khalampre was right. I've been lurking this forum since '04, I registered... last year? The BFC has really undergone a tidal shift into something less attractive than it once was. I miss it.

You should have been here in the run up to the invasion of Iraq: much more political discussion (though that may be putting it rather too politely). There's room for all of it.
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Fuck off Mike.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby khalampre » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:11 am

Fuck off Mike.

+1
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby yorick » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:17 am

Yeah, eat shit Mike!! This is probly the most ridiculous political thread this gun forum's ever seen, whats the matter with you? Lemme see, there's roughly 39 student homicides occurred each year between '92 and '99 in nation of hundreds of millions under the age of 18. Nevermind knives, fists and baseball bats - lets count the ones using guns.... and holy fuckin shit - that amounts to just barely over 50% or roughly 23 firearm homicides per year.

Of course what nobody's saying is none of these schoolyard gun killings occur in parts of the country where we see rifles in gunracks of pickup trucks at high school parking lots during deer hunting season, and often the trucks' wide open with windows rolled down.

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby Professor Devlin » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Who let the bleeding hearts in here ?
“I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it.”-William S. Burroughs
Professor Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Spain's new Defence Minister Carme Penta Chacon - the first woman in the post - reviews troops in Madrid.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe