The most unpleasant travellers?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Who are the most unpleasant travellers to meet on the road?

Americans
21%
Japanese
17%
Israelis
45%
British
7%
French
10%

Total votes : 29

The most unpleasant travellers?

Postby mooky » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:59 pm

I rarely travel with others and when I do hook up with a buddy, it never lasts more than a day or two. From this perspective, I notice tendencies when running into other travellers, whether they are alone or in groups, and wanted to run this poll: Who are the most unpleasant people to run into while travelling? You may choose your own criteria when deciding unpleasant, but the nationalities I am listing are some of my least favorites... especially when they come in groups....
mooky
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:14 pm

wow what a decision....i would have to say Americans for being stupid and having no respect for other cultures, Israelis for being pricks, and Japanese for never putting the cameras down. 3 way tie.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby RYP » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:33 pm

I think the common consensus is that Israelis doing the year off after mandatory miltiary service take the prize. Brazilians have a bizarre sense of social space and noise levels. The French can singlehandedl increase the toxic air levels wherever they travel and the Dutch can suck the fun out of any gathering.

Best are of course Aussies, who drink to excess and bang all the girls...
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Land Rover » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:38 pm

RYP wrote:I think the common consensus is that Israelis doing the year off after mandatory miltiary service take the prize. Brazilians have a bizarre sense of social space and noise levels. The French can singlehandedl increase the toxic air levels wherever they travel and the Dutch can suck the fun out of any gathering.

Best are of course Aussies, who drink to excess and bang all the girls...

a favorite saying of the dutch is "that is not possible"
Land Rover
BFCus Regularus

-

Postby Foulplay » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:44 pm

The Israelis get my vote, by a wide margin.
Foulplay
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:46 pm

Lately Europeans as they think that as an American we ALL surely MUST HAVE voted for Bush. Then they talk to you and realize how stupid they sound.

Regards,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby DawnC71 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:51 pm

I run into about 400,000 loud obnoxious Japanese tourists on a damn near daily basis...none of them know that when meeting someone coming the other direction on the sidewalk, it is a matter of politeness for you to move your asses(and the asses of your 57 other Nikon toting Tourist buddies) to the other side...no no..they expect you to hop off the sidewalk and just walk in the street......am I prejudiced...HELL YEAH...
And a tip to Old Japanese men with Sapporo-fortified-bellies...wearing Speedos does not make you sexy...or even remotely attractive.
Passion is necessity. It is not diligence, or simply being committed to a goal. Passion consumes you while you chase down your goal. Passion should always be your natural state of mind for it is what sparks momentum and sets the pace.
DawnC71
BFCus Regularus

Postby Renard » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:03 pm

Funny how no one mentioned South Africans...

Basically, every group has their bad apples, but i believe the phenomena to be relational. I can think of British tourists in Spain, German tourists in Cuba, French tourists in Eastern Europe, Canadians with their flags sown on their packs to distinguish themselves from Americans, Americans in Paris, Japanese youth who plane-hop from city to city only spending a day in one spot so they can cover as much group as possible so they can brag to their friends back home that they have been "everywhere". As for Israelis, I've never had any bad encounters with them, but maybe i just lucked out.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lunatock » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:56 pm

Heard from someone who recently chose to go to Northern Russia over Italy (WTF?!) that there were a few tourist groups, and a Japanese tourist group would rush in ahead of another group, or walk up and try to shove past another group that was looking at something.

I'd like to go somewhere with a pre-gathered tourist group and have a shouldering out of the way competition with a Japanese tourist group.
So I'll meet up with that Russian, that Brazillian, the rest of the team from Brooklyn..and we'll start shooting.
Lunatock
Obarrg

Postby Tacos » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:07 pm

I've always thought Germans were pretty rude travelers. They have no sense of a line or a queue. I have intentionally bumped into them when they have tried to push or squeeze by me, it's kinda fun, catches them by surprise and makes them realize that I am waiting for the same thing they are.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:57 pm

This poll is not the least bit enlightening. Bad behaviour knows no nationality.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Israelis

Postby Jumper » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:18 pm

I would agree about the Israelis. Although you get them alone and then they are cool. Or if you go to Israel they are pretty cool to you. When I went over there, everyone was nice and I even got a ride and an invitation to wedding party. But everyone has assholes and saints in the world. The French suck as well. Don't try to have a decent conversation with one and definitely don't debate, all you will get is nonsense blind french nationalism. Americans suck in a group but are alright alone. Its just we are such morons when it comes to travel. Especially when it comes to hauling around gear and language. Canadians really piss me off. They make a point of bringing the crappiest clothes and gear and making sure they all have maple leaf flags on it. I have even run into guys with maple leaf tatoos. Finally the Japanese. Oh snap. Were do we start. They will look you in the eye and smile and under their breath they will curse you and your family. They attempt all and anything they should not do like diving or climbing mountains even though they are 80 years old and completely out of shape. They move in groups like a school of camera touting herring. They swarm upon any and all things even remotely picture worthy and push all and anyone out of the way. I almost got trampled to death during chinese newyear at Ankor Wat in Cambodia. The english get old with their soccer fanaticism and profound desire to get sloppy drunk were ever they go. Oh and by the way, I will take an American breakfast over an English breakfast any day. Beans for breakfast is just wrong. Pickle and Cheese sandwich? What is that.....?

The coolest travelers I have met are usually anyone from scandanavia. And to be honest, I have met some really cool people from all the other countries out there including the ones I have listed up top. I am just taking account of my own experiences and trying to remember if I saw patterns from different countries. This is what I came up with. Just being honest.
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dim » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:26 pm

The Russian tour groups in Egypt should be seen to be believed . . .

The Aussies and Kiwis in Turkey for the ANZAC commemorations are pretty awful.

My vote for worst package tour groups? The Italians in London - they congest entire streets, have elaborate discussions at the bottom and top of tube escalators and always ask me for street directions to Hamstead from Clapham.

And why do American couples always fight in museums?
Dim
BFCus Regularus

Postby Qwazy Wabbit » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:06 pm

This is an outrage! By far the worst tourists are the Austrians. My limited experience of these toe-rags is one particular fool who was literally climbing on the Buddhist statues in Thailand. Another group nearly got me a kicking in Varanasi in India as I foolishly stood near them as the took photos of a funeral cremation.

I'm not a big fan of generalisations but I'll make an exception for these wankers. They make the Israelis appear charming. Their only positive contribution is the entertainment of the Israeli-Austrian bar fight after a discussion about Hitler.
Qwazy Wabbit
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:08 pm

The travel location is relevant to this question. I think for the "traveler" as opposed to "tourist" I have been told that the favorites are Australians and Americans. Because they are funny, curious about the places and people they are visiting, friendly, and not too miserly with their money (like the Brits, Germans and Japanese are.)
Keep in mind that you'll find a different breed on the Bubba Train to Cancun than you'll find for example in Goa, India or Helsinki, Finland or Aleppo, Syria.
"I wish the women would hurry up and take over." (Leonard Cohen)
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe