What has been Mankinds biggest scourge?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

What has been Mankind's biggest self-inflicted scourge?

Catholic Church
14%
Communism
14%
Slavery
14%
Colonialism
21%
Capitalism
7%
Islam
18%
Science
11%

Total votes : 28

Postby kilroy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:19 am

coldharvest, idunno about that whole war was always there thing. i may be wrong, but i believe that people didnt war with each other before there originated a political structure. before that, humans were basically just pack animals. but, then again, ant colonies war with each other. but then again, again, ant colonies have 'queens' and 'political structure' too.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 am

SYMPTOMATIC NERVE GAS
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby fgmsociety » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:21 am

Someone will have to explain to me why communism is so bad. Theoretically it meant equality for all. if corrupt politicians hadn't taken all the good stuff for themselves and really made everyone equal, maybe it would have worked. Perhaps it was the DAM's (dominant, aggressive males) fault it didn't work.
fgmsociety
BFCus Regularus

Postby JC » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:49 pm

communism is so bad because it fails to take into account human nature which includes competition, conflict, and self-preservation. any system for the governance of humans that ignores such basics is fundamentally flawed. true communism has never been successfully put into effect. communism was a reaction to the negative aspects of the industrial revolution like exploitation of the masses and the corruption of wealth and power, but history shows that when it has been implemented, the exploitation and corruption is even worse. the corrupt type A's always rise to the top
JC

Postby Buzzsaw » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:01 pm

RYP wrote:I was gonna say get a 3 inch long wire brush attached to an electric drill and clean house. Then replace your colon with a 2" wide 6 inch long PVC pipe. You can use a sink stopper for a sphincter. If you need to pay for this, you can always store people's gerbils in there while they are on vacation or smuggle contraband. There is no man brave enoug to pull a 2" white rubber sink stopper out of a nervous plane or bus passenger.

Thanks, RYP, but I think I'll stick to the more conservative treatments first. Had my two bowls of Fiber One and Shredded Wheat for brekky. I'm already feeling like a new man.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby sorcerer » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:19 pm

Well said JC, I think the phrase that captures it best is from George Orwell “some are more equal than others.” I also have to agree with fgmsociety, on paper, communism is a nice deal. This is a tough choice, but I think that the only reason Communism is on the list is because it didn’t work. Slavery is a nasty business but not very popular any more. Colonialism is like a gift that keeps on giving, even after the colony is emancipated the bias and bigotry remain. Islam, everyones favorite enemy, but not as bad as some of the other choices. Now maybe if you changed Catholocism to christianity in general , there are a lot of wannabe inquisitors that are not catholic. Iguess my choice will have to be Science because it is the future, it controls Capitalism ( if anything can be said to control Capitalism) and is responsible for smart bombs, nuclear weapons, spy satellites, television, muzak, root canals, e-mail spam, and the never ending thirst for oil, which in turn creates some of the other choices in this poll. . “the future is here and you can’t run from it, if you have a black list I want to be on it” Billy Bragg
sorcerer

Postby Renard » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:54 pm

coldharvest wrote:Communism is alot like the Toronto Maple Leafs,
great on paper at the beginning but somehow when it comes to keeping up with the big boys they just can't hang together.

This is the greatest quote ever.

Renard
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe