Would you travel to Nepal right now?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Would you go to Nepal right now or in a couple of months?

No, it is too dangerous.
No votes
Yes, but I would only fly everywhere in Nepal and stay just in the hotel and backpacker areas.
40%
Yes, and I would hike all over the place smoking hash and throw candy at the village kids.
40%
Yes, and I would join the Maoists in their struggle against the government.
20%

Total votes : 5

Would you travel to Nepal right now?

Postby Jumper » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:26 pm

Here is the deal. I have a buddy that wants to head on over to Nepal this winter and he is concerned. This still pisses me off that my beautiful Nepal is going down hill. Or is it? I will post this poll and if you have any input as well, it would be most helpful. Personally I told him to go for it, but maybe you guys out there have some inside scoop that you don't see in the news or on the State Dept site.
Feral Jundi

http://www.feraljundi.com

A blog about the security contracting industry.
Jumper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Skeleguy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:54 pm

I'll be there in a week, and let you know then
Skeleguy

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:56 pm

1. Would I be worreid about safety?

No, I was in Nepal a few years ago and found it safe. May not be as safe anymore, but from what I know the Maoists have not been targeting tourists. There are some risks of course (someone may get caught in the crossfire), but at this time I would be prepared to take them.

2. Would I have cocerns about disruption to travel plans? Maybe. As with most norteamericanos, I get shitty holiday allotments, and would not want to be holed up in KTM for a week when I should be trekking to Rara Lake. However, you could fly, its cheap there. Also I believe the major trekking areas (ie. Annapurna and Khumbu) are likely open.

Skel, wouldn't mind hearing about your trip, can ya keep us in the loop, if it sgoo or good for a penal colony?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe