2009 Death Pool

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: 2009 Death Pool

Postby gnaruki » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:07 am

I'm fairly certain Billy Graham is dead. I'll try a seance utilizing a psychedelic ouija board and magic eight ball next time I'm near one of his old prayer rooms.

Fansy, you make valid points but there hasn't been a 'ghoul pool' thread since 2009 to my knowledge. (I understand I'm responding to a two year old post)

Really just bringing up this thread because David Brockie died. Figured he would make it to a convalescent home as an over-ripened septuagenarian. Got that one wrong.

http://www.nme.com/news/gwar/76275

Management for the metal group Gwar are to issue a statement at 5pm today (March 24) following unconfirmed reports of the death of frontman David Brockie at the age of 50, reports TheMusic.com.au.

Style Weekly, based in the band's hometown of Richmond, Virginia, reports that Brockies body was found, at home, by his roommates on Sunday (March 23). They report that a member of Richmond police confirmed Brockie was found in his home between 3 and 7pm.

Speaking to Style Weekly, former bassist Mike Bishop paid tribute to the singer, better known by his stagename Oderus Urungus. "Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known," he said. "He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art."

The death has not, as yet, been confirmed by any representative for Brockie or the group.

Known for their outrageous costumes and prosthetics, Gwar released their 13th album in 2013 and mark their 30th anniversary this year.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/gwar/76275#r8A2M4f6TuEpPWEk.99

gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu May 01, 2014 11:15 am

Major bummer, he was a good dude. Dave and Wes Freed are two of my favourite Richmond people.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu May 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Chimborazo wrote:Major bummer, he was a good dude. Dave and Wes Freed are two of my favourite Richmond people.

Richmond must be a far freakier place than it lets on.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:40 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:Major bummer, he was a good dude. Dave and Wes Freed are two of my favourite Richmond people.

Richmond must be a far freakier place than it lets on.

It certainly used to be; here were some real fuckin' characters there back in the day. Meet Dirt Woman - http://onewayrichmond.com/2013-owr-richmonder-of-the-year

The guy who took that first photo, Larry, I met in 1996 as he was throwing somebody through the door and into the street at the old Hole in the Wall where he was one of the bartenders. That place was awesome.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Bless you forever, Dirt Woman will be elevated into my pantheon of living Gods.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby gnaruki » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Time to dust off some albums I haven't listened to in years.

http://variety.com/2014/music/news/tommy-ramone-last-surviving-original-member-of-influential-punk-band-dies-at-65-1201261584/

Tommy Ramone, Founding Member of Influential Punk Band, Dies at 62

Tommy Ramone, Founding Member of InfluentialJason LaVeris/FilmMagic
JULY 11, 2014 | 10:07PM PT
Christopher Morris
Drummer and producer Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of the influential New York punk quartet the Ramones, died Friday at his home in the Ridgewood area of Queens, New York. He was 62 and had been in hospice care following treatment for bile duct cancer.

Born Erdelyi Tamas in Budapest, Hungary, and known professionally as Tom or T. Erdelyi, Ramone played on the first three epoch-making Ramones albums, “Ramones” (1976), “Leave Home” (1977) and “Rocket to Russia” (1977). He also co-produced the latter two albums with Tony Bongiovi and Ed Stasium, respectively. He appeared on and co-produced the 1979 live Ramones opus “It’s Alive.”

After leaving the Ramones to concentrate on studio work, he co-produced the band’s 1984 album “Too Tough to Die” with Stasium. He was replaced in the lineup by Marc Bell (Marky Ramone), a former member of Dust and Richard Hell’s Voidoids.

One of the first high-profile releases to emerge from New York’s punk underground of the mid-‘70s, “Ramones” – reportedly recorded in six days on a budget of $6,400 – brought a pared-down, hyperactive style to the stuffy rock scene of the day. Tommy’s driving, high-energy drum work was the turbine that powered the leather-clad foursome’s loud, antic sound.

Tom Erdelyi emigrated to America in 1957 and grew up in Forest Hills, Queens, where he played with guitarist John Cummings – later Johnny Ramone – in Tangerine Puppets. He went on to study engineering and worked at the Record Plant (where he assisted on a 1969 Jimi Hendrix session) and other facilities.

The Ramones coalesced with the addition of fellow Queens musicians Jeffrey Hyman (aka lead singer Joey Ramone) and Douglas Colvin (bassist Dee Dee Ramone). Breaking in their act at Hilly Krystal’s Bowery club CBGB, the band was signed to Seymour Stein’s Sire Records, also the home of such other punk acts as Richard Hell, Talking Heads and the Dead Boys.

The Ramones finally disbanded in 1996 after a show at the Palace in Hollywood. Joey Ramone died of lymphoma in 2001; Dee Dee succumbed to a drug overdose in 2002; and Johnny expired from prostate cancer in 2004.

The Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

Erdelyi’s other production credits included the Replacements’ major label debut “Tim” (1985) and L.A. punk unit Redd Kross’ “Neurotica” (1987). In later years, he went the acoustic route, playing bluegrass and country music with his partner Claudia Tienan in Uncle Monk.

He is survived by Tienan and an older brother. A private funeral service is planned.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby The Turd Polisher » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:27 am

ktrout wrote:Abe Vigoda. He really is getting on now.

a moment of silence please......

Abe Vigoda, of ‘Godfather’ and ‘Barney Miller,’ Dies at 94
By STUART LAVIETESJAN. 26, 2016
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/27/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

"Beyond our ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there."
Rumi, 13th-century Persian poet
The Turd Polisher
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe