Ontario considering ban on pit bulls

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Should pit bulls be banned?

Yes, the breed is the problem
41%
No, attacks are the result of irresponsible owners
29%
This is silly and Ontarians are a bunch of pussies
29%

Total votes : 17

Postby Gopi » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:27 am

The point with pit bulls is the nature of their attacks.
This has to be taken into account because when they wig out they really go off on one. They work especially viciously in pairs & they work their way up to the throat & lock on. A guy in the uk had his face eaten off when he went to get his post by two pitbulls that got loose. The attacks can be relentless & savage to the extreme. Also in this recent attack in Toronto they actually fired 16 shots into the dogs & then had to suffocate one dog with a mattress.
I was bitten on the face as a child by a golden lab but it was just a snap reaction of some kind. A pitbull attack is really something else.
Muzzles in public for sure.
Maybe urban living doesn't suit them since they were bred as farm dogs and 'frontier guardians'.
The strength of a nation is derived from the integrity of its homes.
- Confucius
Gopi
Global Warmer

Postby el3so » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:03 am

Gopi wrote:The point with pit bulls is the nature of their attacks. I was bitten on the face as a child by a golden lab but it was just a snap reaction of some kind. A pitbull attack is really something else.

most people still get bitten by labradors and german shepherds (alsatians in English) because those races are still most popular. I hope your scars weren't too bad, Gopi, some kid in my highschool had same experience, let's just say he wasn't someone you wanted to sit across at lunch.

Seems to me to be like a debate about bullet calibers. ".50 should be banned" but even .22 still can kill a man. Too bad these breeds appeal mostly to young impressionable kids who buy one, loose interest or use 'em in a way they shouldn't be used.

In my humble opinion, irresponsible fucks shouldn't be allowed to own guns, dogs or kids.
Gopi wrote:Maybe urban living doesn't suit them since they were bred as farm dogs and 'frontier guardians'.
You're wrong there champ, they were bred for fighting (hence the 'pit' part) each other for fun and bets of our fellow men.
Breed you're mixing them up with is the South African boerboel, a mean beast if there ever was one, not some small doggie with huge jaws like a pitbull.

Girl friend of mine owns a couple, very territorial and protective, man stopppers. Difference is she charges € 1250 a puppy, guess that weeds out most dumb teenagers with something to compensate...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby SRR » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:38 am

Well this -is- silly and Ontarians -are- a bunch of pussies(except coldharvest, of course) and I think anyone who lives in a condo and thinks they can keep a 75lb dog as a pet should have their face eaten off.

I also don't think they should be banned, I think the cops should let them loose on the city here after some specific training, to chow down on all the junkies, squeegee kids, and poor homeless scammers. Also sick 'em on the gangbanger kids with their illegal pistols as they're walking out of the nightclubs, that'll teach them to do target practice in gastown on a sunday morning.

Don't forget that woman in Abbotsford who had the fully grown tiger as a housepet or the other family in kamloops with the Boa Constrictor they let slither around the house with their kids happily playing in the middle. Let them have their toys and then the govvy can charge them up the ass if the animal gets loose or does something awful.

Insofar as that is concerned perhaps the pit bulls should be relegated to the 'exotic pets' subsection and their owners have to deal with all the bureaucracy that entails.

But not after we let a few hundred pitbulls loose on main and terminal for a..... little bit of cleanup. Human rights be damned!
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Dog maulings

Postby MJK » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:00 am

99 in 100 pit owners are losers trying to project an image or secure a crack house. Frankly, those odds suck. Having had a tweaked pit dragging the logging chain his owner used as a leash vault into the back of my truck with me and my two sheps was all I needed to prejudice me against the breed. Have I met responsible pit owners? Very, very few and I bet even they would lawyer up to try to limit their liability if their dog did what it was bred to do, attack with focus and determination. Sure yours is a good pit bull? Positive? Then sign a fucking paper saying you bet EVERYTHING YOU OWN and your wages for the next ten years that he'll never attack anyone outside of your home, period. Anyone knowingly going in your house is waiving your responsibility. No takers? No surprise.

One of my sheps got a crushed foreleg, the pit took a half a mag of 10mm hollowpoints to hell with him and his owner got his collarbone broken with a handyman jack handle when he followed his dog with the same attitude. I got a lecture punctuated with sly winks from the troopers. Oh yeah, the truck bed had some holes in it.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:13 am

i was attacked by a dog, and afterward, it was put down. my brother has also been attacked by a dog, but that one was a stray that couldnt be tracked down.

Insofar as that is concerned perhaps the pit bulls should be relegated to the 'exotic pets' subsection and their owners have to deal with all the bureaucracy that entails.

that is actually a very good idea.

and until you find the stats, yusuf, i can't look at them.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:15 pm

99 in 100 pit owners are losers trying to project an image or secure a crack house.

>>Well, it has trickled up, or down, into the general population as well. Now you see owners who have vaguely heard the dogs are cool, have no respect for something which bites with 1200 pounds of pressure per square inch and no clue how to handle a beast whose natural instinct is to establish pack dominence over -you-.

I remember seeing a guy who had been bitten by his pit, a dog which he raised as a pet around his children for 13 years, had just turned on him one day; what was left of his arm was--well, -ugh-.

Granted other breeds have issues; Irish Setters are notorious biters, but, speaking from someone who has broken up scores of dogfights, it's essential one stands a chance to force open jaws. And once I saw a pit jump up and latch onto a tree branch, would not let go, just hung there...

"dragging the logging chain his owner used as a leash"

>>We had a dog, an Anatolian Shepherd from Turkey, that we had to walk on a logging chain, and one would think the sight of a huge snarling wolfish creature restrained by chain and an inch thick rope in lieu of a leash would prevent dumbasses from coming up to pet the pretty puppy, but noooooooooo---
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Postby NIJ » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 pm

I was bitten by an Anatolian once. It hurt like hell, but after a brief tussle I established that I wasn't food. I also got bitten by a golden retriever, but it was just a nip and only one tooth broke the skin. Unfortunately, the one tooth broke through an artery as well and there was a hell of a lot of blood involved.

I almost got bitten by a pit when I was fighting with a guy who had one as a pet. I saw it coming at me and desperate kick to the throat sent it on its way, but earned me an ass-kicking since the guy took advantage of my distraction.

The worst part about dog bites is the scrubbing with a toothbrush you get when you go to the doctor.

I don't know why I've had such bad luck with dogs. For the most part they love me.
NIJ
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kasca » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:41 pm

Our Anatolian was a hoot, used to drool when she saw children and old folks, not because she loved people, but because she thought Meals On Wheels. But she had responsible ownership, never bit a soul, whereas our part Golden / part pit took off half of my X's lower jaw and our Shepherd put three feet of surgical thread into our friend's nose.

Anatolians are highly intelligent, and after living among the Turks are very responsive to gentle treatement. You could talk to Hollie and if you caught her before she flipped that switch from "highly pissed" to "Full fight mode" you could actually reason with her. I used to joke about how I sucked up to her but it was no joke, she was a _savage_ fighter and a partner one could go to war with.
"...That was some weird shit."

- George W. Bush, after hearing Donald Trump's Inauguration speech. January 20, 2017. Washington D. C.
Kasca
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe