Whats your biggest fear?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Whats your biggest fear

Poll ended at Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:36 am

Illness-Cancer, terminal disease, etc
67%
Poverty- losing all you hold dear, bankrupcy
11%
Short Life-being killed, murdered, fatal auto accident
22%
Natural disaster- earthquake, tornado, etc
No votes

Total votes : 9

Re: Whats your biggest fear?

Postby Osiris » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:35 am

Whoever says they only thing they fear is "fear itself", lacks imagination.
The impossible I'll do immediately, the unimaginable will take some time. http://bigwilliesbooks.com/
Osiris
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Osiris wrote:Whoever says they only thing they fear is "fear itself", lacks imagination.

I know. It would have been really cool if FDR said on the radio that the only thing we have to fear is "steep hills" and soon we will live in a world that has a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage and some decent fucking wheelchair handbreaks for fucks sake.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby 2 Charlie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:12 am

Succumbing to death alone, during sex...
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Alessandro » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:42 am

One of RYPs family member´s becoming president in United States of America.
To think before you type is like wiping your butt before you dump.
Alessandro
BFCus Regularus

Postby Glassgost » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:25 pm

Falling off a telephone pole and being far enough out that no one knows I'm out there. Just lying there cold, broken and completely unknown. One of my techs had a heart attack underneath someone's house and the lady fell asleep. Didn't know anything happened until she woke up the next day and saw his van still in her driveway.
Glassgost

Postby MJK » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 am

Being stuck in a confined space no one knows I'm in. Back in high school (1974) I was exploring the furthest reaches of the steam pipe utilidors honeycombing Ft Wainwright. A remote section with an entrance in the middle of nowhere ran to a nearby ammo bunker about 100 yards distant. It was a very tight fit next to the asbestos insulated steam pipes and was about 95F. I made it about 50 feet in and got one of my belt loops hung up on a pipe hanger with my arms outstretched ahead of me to pull myself forward. I couldn't get them down to the snag and could not push myself back. I dropped my flashlight and it rolled out of reach, shining uselessly down the concrete utilidor towards my now forgotten goal. I struggled like a madman for what seemed like forever and blacked out, probably from screaming and crying myself out of air. When I came to the flashlight was a dim glow and I was soaked in sweat. The pipes, which earlier had been making a lot of noise cracking , popping and humming were now quiet and I found that I was now miraculously unsnagged; the belt loop having broken. I discovered that I could kick my boot in between a couple of the pipes and flex my knee while kind of undulating along on my back to cover the 50 feet back to the entrance in about an hour. Emerging into the -40F January night air I didn't even bother putting my parka back on until I had walked the 50 or so yards out to the road.

As luck would have it a couple of the 472nd MPs' finest rolled up on me in a thrashed AMC Matador patrol car and not liking my looks patted me down and stuck me in the back. Seeing that I was soaked with freezing sweat and covered in asbestos and concrete dust they wanted to know just what I was on. I told them I was sober and then they wanted to know why I had pissed myself. I looked down through my open parka to see a frosted over watermark highlighting the front of my trousers. So I told them what had happened, pausing only when they punctuated the tale with "No shit!" , "no way!" , and "Wuddya do then?" My tale of woe bought me a ride to our quarters where one of the MPs gave me what was left of the soda he had been drinking to 'spill' on my lap before walking inside. Fortunately everyone was asleep so my fear based incontinence didn't need to be explained.

To this day I can't tell you what I thought I was going to do when I made it to the ammo bunker or what the results would have been if I had gotten stuck all the way at the other end with no way to turn around. Gives me major creeps right now thinking about it.

Yeah, stuck in a confined space unable to move your hands away from your sides or unable to bring them down from above your head. Hands down, tested tough in Alaska worst thing that could happen to me.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tacos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:21 pm

MJK wrote:Being stuck in a confined space no one knows I'm in. Back in high school (1974) I was exploring the furthest reaches of the steam pipe utilidors honeycombing Ft Wainwright. A remote section with an entrance in the middle of nowhere ran to a nearby ammo bunker about 100 yards distant. It was a very tight fit next to the asbestos insulated steam pipes and was about 95F. I made it about 50 feet in and got one of my belt loops hung up on a pipe hanger with my arms outstretched ahead of me to pull myself forward. I couldn't get them down to the snag and could not push myself back. I dropped my flashlight and it rolled out of reach, shining uselessly down the concrete utilidor towards my now forgotten goal. I struggled like a madman for what seemed like forever and blacked out, probably from screaming and crying myself out of air. When I came to the flashlight was a dim glow and I was soaked in sweat. The pipes, which earlier had been making a lot of noise cracking , popping and humming were now quiet and I found that I was now miraculously unsnagged; the belt loop having broken. I discovered that I could kick my boot in between a couple of the pipes and flex my knee while kind of undulating along on my back to cover the 50 feet back to the entrance in about an hour. Emerging into the -40F January night air I didn't even bother putting my parka back on until I had walked the 50 or so yards out to the road.

I was so uncomfortable just reading this, I think this is the winner so far.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:24 am

That my God is pettier than I am and therefore I am fearless.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:31 pm

I fear stupid people and worse, offspring of stupid people.
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby denise » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:57 pm

So your choice then is between solitude and constant terror.

Decisions, decisions...
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:55 pm

Nah, good to go.
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Darcy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:22 pm

My wife finding out about all the African gals......(Surinamies/Guyanan/Romanian/Russian/Chinese/Norwegian....)
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Toxic Ed » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:58 pm

Many, many years ago I was flying from LAX to MNL and couldn't believe the absolutely insane amount of crap that the Filipinos were bringing back home to their relatives and loved ones...

The scene was made complete once almost everybody was aboard and someone walked through the packed aisles of the airplane with a large statue of Jesus wrapped in cardboard with just the arms sticking out - the outstretched hands literally were slapping those passengers who weren't quick enough to duck or lean away in time as it was dragged it all the way to the back of the aircraft!

It was reminiscent of that scene from the movie "Airplane" where the ditzy stewardess smacked her guitar across the backs of everybody's heads as she walked up the aisle, but I digress... However, my fear soon kicked in that maybe someone packed a lit charcoal grill with chicken barbequing on it so it would be ready when we landed.

Add to this the incident a few years ago where a live crocodile escaped from someone's luggage on a flight from the DRC that triggered a stampede into the cabin that caused the plane to crash and kill everyone aboard, save one lone survivor who lived to tell the tale of how it happened. Only in Africa... But this of course was followed by an Airbus A-310 that crashed in Siberia because the Russian pilot let his teenaged son (who upon post-mortem examination was found to have barbiturates in this system) try to fly the airplane...

Then it hit me - my biggest fear is that I will die in an aircraft incident somewhere in the middle of nowhere due to some insanely stupid event that could have completely been avoided if even the barest of safety procedures had been followed!
Toxic Ed

Postby t-yac » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:20 am

Being an old man, reflecting on the life I lived and having regrets......that is my biggest fear.
t-yac

Postby Q » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 pm

It's not so much fear, as frustration over the fact that most likely the actions of some retarded dipshit will lead to my death.

Some K Street asshole analyst doing a NOVA dive bomb right in front of me on 495.
Some 3rd world trash import not washing it's hands after an ass wiping, thus spreading the next Black Death.
Being shot by a Dindu Nuffins because some SJW got butthurt over the fact that I have the creator given right to pack an HK.

Rinse...repeat.

You know...pretty much 99.99% of the people on this planet.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe