Media RYP Blog Attack!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Media RYP Blog Attack!

Postby trueblue5x5 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:02 pm

hmmmm possible themes for new reality shows versus beefcake- which is funnier?

I know what I'd prefer to rest my eyes on! LOL Thanks shivers ;^) ya! beefcake always reminds me of the late great G.Carlin's routine on "Meatcake" - lol

"WTF is it?!!!"
dont lie to, disrespect or annoy a Dragon, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
trueblue5x5
BFCus Regularus

Postby 0verbyte » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 pm

0verbyte
BFCus Regularus

Postby trueblue5x5 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Oooooookaayyyyyyy...!

What a 'colorful' ...and confusing tattoo!

Is this a representation of "Buttcake"?

WOW LOL
dont lie to, disrespect or annoy a Dragon, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
trueblue5x5
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:38 pm

SusanKatzKeating wrote:(Ahem)... Actually, the bloggers are shaking up the MSM (RYP included), and the MSM is not happy. In the good ol' days, military journos in particular could write what they wanted about their far flung experiences, because no one was qualified to call them on outrageous content. Few editors were veterans, and - fact checking aside - did not know when they were being buffaloed.

Enter the blogosphere. Soldiers and bloggers alike are able to fact check and challenge, both from the field and from bases of expertise. This makes things tough on the MSM-ers. I see it as a good thing for all concerned. I appreciate the fact that RYP remains part of the dialogue, and I appreciate the fact that bloggers don't cower beneath his gaze (nor stare lovingly into his eyes, as do CERTAIN PEOPLE on this forum). As for me, I have a foot in both media worlds. I did hard time with the MSM, and still work for some of the big guys; and I maintain a private milblog. This New Media Order is good for everyone. It keeps us all honest.

A spammer tried to post on this thread so I looked at it and suddenly remembered Milbloggers!

The Poster's MSM rocking website redirects off of Blogger to a website of her name that provides "Net worth of Celebrities" back links. (she no longer runs it)

Anyway...13 years ago people were scrambling for RYP to do work for them by "Defending Himself" or whatever (Didn't bother to figure out the whole story) and claiming MilBlogging was the next big thing of all possible things.

Now it is probably MilTwitter or something.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:13 pm

I found it a more interesting online environment than now.

Now we are basically controlled by what Twitter or Facebook allows with the only other alternative being obscurity.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:27 pm

ROB wrote:I found it a more interesting online environment than now.

Now we are basically controlled by what Twitter or Facebook allows with the only other alternative being obscurity.

Interesting...yes but it never really shook up anything.

The Big One (Blackfive.net) went dark online in 2019 so that was a pretty good run, but shortly after this thread started Milbloggers "went on strike" out of protest for their treatment as a security risk.

Oddly General Petraeus used to feed info to Blackfive...at least until his mistress sent Florida Military socialites (that is a thing) threatening letters so that she contacted the FBI and got Petraeus shitcanned as head of the CIA. (turns out his national security instincts were not very honed)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:36 pm

Does War on the Rocks still count? I think it's been around for a minute - https://warontherocks.com/

Twitter is like those 'concerned parent' groups of old, where an extremely small amount of people are given an outsized voice.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... d-twitter/

A minority of Twitter users produce the vast majority of tweets. Among U.S. adults who use Twitter, the top 25% of users by tweet volume produce 97% of all tweets, while the bottom 75% of users produce just 3%, according to an analysis conducted over a three-month period in 2021.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:10 pm

vagabond wrote:Does War on the Rocks still count? I think it's been around for a minute - https://warontherocks.com/

Twitter is like those 'concerned parent' groups of old, where an extremely small amount of people are given an outsized voice.

A minority of Twitter users produce the vast majority of tweets. Among U.S. adults who use Twitter, the top 25% of users by tweet volume produce 97% of all tweets, while the bottom 75% of users produce just 3%, according to an analysis conducted over a three-month period in 2021.

It looks like War On the Rocks is still updated, so yes.

But technically we here are still updating too. So take that as you will.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:41 pm

Kurt wrote:
vagabond wrote:Does War on the Rocks still count? I think it's been around for a minute - https://warontherocks.com/

It looks like War On the Rocks is still updated, so yes.

But technically we here are still updating too. So take that as you will.

https://youtu.be/6g2JN2PrHJg?t=36
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe