Question regarding US Cellular networks

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Question regarding US Cellular networks

Postby lightstalker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Which provider has the best coverage both in the US and overseas?. I was told that Verizon has very good coverage throughout the US but then I discovered that Verizon is a CDMA network, which is shit.
I understand that AT&T is GSM. (or is that wrong?). How many countries can you use an AT&T blackberry phone in?.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Re: Question regarding US Cellular networks

Postby Kurt » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:23 pm

AT&T works fine for me when I go overseas.

I never had a problem with Verizon either.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:23 pm

It might be cheaper to have a US phone and an overseas phone (assuming you've kept one). I have Verizon here and get great coverage most everywhere. I think if you did the world coverage thing w/ AT&T you might be looking at high roaming charges so if you've kept a phone from your UK days it would probably be cheaper to just buy a chip.

Here's there coverage map and their world rates.

And yeah, it is pretty ridiculous that the US hasn't caught up with the rest of the place in regards to mobile phones

V
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks mate,

I have a UK blackberry and a US phone as well. The data charges on my blackberry are killer so I don't use it in the US.
I just looked at the AT&T website and they have the exclusive contract with the I phone here, like O2 does in the UK.
the only difference is that the i phone in the UK is free with a 2 year contract. In the US you have to pay 200 dollars to get it with a 2 yr contract.
I think there is a new i phone coming out soon soon maybe they will flog the current one for nothing...
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby vagabond » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm not sure how the iPhone works cost-wise when you're traveling back and forth but I met a dude from San Francisco in the middle of nowhere India that was getting along fine w/ his. Also, a former roommate of mine found that the iPhone (phone + plan) tends to work out cheaper than the Blackberry. Good luck.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Greggy_N » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:28 pm

get and iphone and jailbreak it so you can choose to use whatever service you want...will save alot of money
Greggy_N
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe