Requirements for a Purple Heart

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Are Kerry's purple hearts bullshit?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes : 13

Requirements for a Purple Heart

Postby Lotus7Productions » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:33 pm

I havent been on here in a while, so this might have already been brought up, but I was curious...

Is there any "personal damage" requirement for a purple heart? I thought it was just if you're wounded in combat. I dont think it makes anyone less of a soldier if they lost everything below the waist, as opposed to lacerations or flesh wounds. It just means they were more unlucky.

Do you not deserve the purple heart if you still have the use of both arms and legs?

Also, I know a purple heart is an award most don't want to get. I know a vietnam vet who was awarded six purple hearts, and he bitches and moans every time I see him because the shrapnel in his leg causes him constant pain. He wishes he never would have received the stupid things, but he admires Kerry for serving his country, not pussying around by disappearing for 6 months in the national guard.
Lotus7Productions
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:53 pm

The ability to lick your own balls.
Sri Lanky

Postby RYP » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:27 pm

You also get one when you get killed.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Marco_Benoit » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:45 pm

Ask the Republicans--especially those who dodged the draft--they seem to think anything as minor as a scratch will allow you to get one.
Marco_Benoit
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:55 pm

a purple heart is awarded for any injury in a combat zone, including friendly fire, self-inflicted accidentally and non-combat injuries - one guy got one for getting hit with a helicopter rotor during a medivac operation. criteria may have changed by now, but thats the way it was during VietNam.
someone correct me please if this is incorrect...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:42 am

It reminds me of an episode of MASH, where Frank Burns got a Purple Heart for shell fragments in his eye.
Egg shells.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Purple Heart

Postby Vincent » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:50 pm

From Slate article on this subject, dated August 24, 2004:

A Purple Heart is awarded to any member of the armed forces (including the Coast Guard) who is killed or wounded in action; the severity of the injury isn't really at issue. According to Navy regulations, a worthy wound is merely "an injury to any part of the body from an outside force or agent, sustained while in action. … A physical lesion is not required, provided the concussion or other form of injury received was a result of the action in which engaged." The other services' regulations include similar language, stipulating, as the Army's does, that "the wound for which the award is made must have required treatment by a medical officer and records of medical treatment for wounds or injuries received in action must have been made a matter of official record."
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lotus7Productions » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:25 am

Sri Lanky wrote:The ability to lick your own balls.

HAHAHAHAHAH SWI Lanky YOU SO CWAZY!! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

shutup and eat my dick
Lotus7Productions
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe