Security for Freedom?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Are You Willing to Trade Freedom for Security?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 15

Security for Freedom?

Postby patriot » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:55 am

Since I consider freedom to be a greater gift than security I will vote !NO!
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Billy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:16 am

Everybody hates standing in line for security checks at airports etc, well I don't. Surveillance cameras etc. are a necessary evil, and national ID cards seem to me to be ok - if you ain't breaking the law, you shouldn't be worried.
Billy
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:43 am

i think the concern most people have is that surveillance cameras, etc, will be set up under the guise of providing security, only to be used for more dubious activities such as blackmail, or that the gov't will suddenly start passing laws like caning people for spitting chewing gun out on the sidewalk. anybody want to live in singapore?

obviously, there has to be a balance between freedom and security. where people disagree is where the balance should be.

remember the book 'johnny got his gun'? remember when good 'ol johnny was musing about freedom?

'you tell a man he can't kill, and you take away some of his freedom.'

there's quite a bit more to the quote, but the passage is quite thought-provoking. those who have read the book may know the part i'm talking about. i'd quote a bit more of it if my copy wasnt half the world away.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Billy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:52 am

If the government starts caning people for spitting on the sidewalk, vote them out

That's democracy
Billy
BFCus Regularus

Postby kilroy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:01 am

i was just saying what i percieved the concern to be about. i didnt say that i thought it made sense.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby patriot » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:50 am

Billy, what are you fighting for? Freedom or security?
patriot
BFCus Regularus

Postby Shining Eye » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:51 am

Candy-assed little bitch Patriot, parroting the liberal/left sky-is-falling, Big Brother is watching, government conspiracy, counter-culture rhetoric warmed over from the Sixties. Douchebag, the sky didn't fall then and it is not falling now. Try looking up life under Martial Law and quit whining about standing in an airport security line, pussy.
Shining Eye
BFCus Regularus

Billy

Postby sorcerer » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:59 am

Vote them out? Would you please remind me who won the popular vote in 2000
sorcerer

Postby Bobby Sands » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:13 pm

Billy wrote:If the government starts caning people for spitting on the sidewalk, vote them out

That's democracy

Yeah, that's why the Founding Fathers didn't found a democracy.

When the US becomes the kind of place where layers of civil police, private guards, and military folk can stop anyone and demand "your papers please," then this place will be down the toilet, and Americans will envy Europeans for their freedom AND prosperity.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Renard » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:13 pm

This poll is a little too black and white.

Security is a freedom and a right. You can find it in most rights and freedoms charters throughout the world. There is an old Roman adage that says: "the safety of the people is the first rule of law".

No one can be truly free if they are living in a state of fear. That is, if people don't feel safe, then they cannot feel free. Whether that state of fear is created by the government or by the actions of terrorists, I leave that to your discretion.
Renard
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:19 pm

Would you trade pot lids for marshmellows? There is no connection. Personal security comes from a vigliant, armed, proactive community not from Washington DC. Anyone who went through the LA riots had a nice lesson in reality. You didnt have to go to Liberia or Iraq to figure it out.

Bottom Line is that we provide security for our government, not the other way around.

Freedom? The anathema of large centralized governments. Laws don't protect freedom, they restrict it.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby GeneTherapy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:33 pm

RYP wrote:Personal security comes from a vigliant, armed, proactive community not from Washington DC. Anyone who went through the LA riots had a nice lesson in reality.

Anyone who goes through the Federalized airport gate security check should know that security doesn't come from DC.

RYP wrote:Freedom? The anathema of large centralized governments. Laws don't protect freedom, they restrict it.

Exactly.

Idiots want a big nanny state to watch over them and tell them what to do.
I am not gay, thank you for asking.

freegene2002@yahoo.com
GeneTherapy

Return to Black Flag Cafe