Scotch

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Scotch

Postby Caliban » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 pm

coldharvest wrote:Dalwhinnie or Cardhu.

Well said. I always have a couple of bottles of Dalwhinnie standing by for a rainy day and as RYP said, hidden from my Facebook friends. I leave a bottle of Glenfiddich prominentlydisplayed for them.

I have one , is a twenty five year old that has been on the back of the shelf for about another fifteen years (t'were my dads, his favourite tipple), I know they don't improve in the bottle with age , but none the less, I will possibly open it on our twenty fifth wedding anniversary August this year or more likely 9th March next year.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:18 am

lightstalker wrote:
So I got Laproiag and I am not as impressed as Lightstalker is with it. To me it's type of woody taste is not bad but I cannot call it good either

Such blasphemy!...
I'm not really a fan of Speyside malts although I probably wouldn't pass on a we dram of Glenlivet. I wouldn't buy Macallan because I dont like soctch that smells like carnations and nail varnish remover. But hey, whatever rocks your boat...some people like sniffing paint thinner

Ill stick to my Islay malts thanks very much. Try a 12yo Lagavulin Kurt, its the closest thing you'll get to licking a campfire without burning your mouth.

Scotch = Nasty tasting watered down crude liquor that otherwise smart people drink to socially mesh with the ruling elite of a pretend world that appears real to many people.
you what??.. everlear??.. the shit college kids make fuckin jello shot's out of?... get the fuck out of here.

I had another glass of it tonight (my third) and I do like it better but still not like The McCallan. I mixed it with a splash of soda and the carbonation brought out the smells nicely.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby kilroy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm

marie-angelique wrote:my booze cabinet is nearly bare these days, the only scottish whisky i have right now is laphroaig, which i adore. lately i've been keeping a stash of lovely kentucky whiskeys, and some irish crap for when i have guests.

shut your blasphemous hole. i love irish whiskey. bushmills is great stuff. as for scotch i dig glenfidich. can't stomach jw red label, but black is alright. only ever had one glass of blue label, but i couldn't appreciate it as much as i should have as i was already pretty drunk. a shame i didn't have a clean flask handy to save it.
when they ask how you feeling
you tell em you feeling like something important died screaming
you tell em you feeling like something even more important arrived breathing
something you should probably try feeding
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bronco » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Laphroaig 30 runs about $500 a bottle around here... I
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby marie-angelique » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:30 pm

kilroy wrote:
marie-angelique wrote:my booze cabinet is nearly bare these days, the only scottish whisky i have right now is laphroaig, which i adore. lately i've been keeping a stash of lovely kentucky whiskeys, and some irish crap for when i have guests.

shut your blasphemous hole. i love irish whiskey. bushmills is great stuff. as for scotch i dig glenfidich. can't stomach jw red label, but black is alright. only ever had one glass of blue label, but i couldn't appreciate it as much as i should have as i was already pretty drunk. a shame i didn't have a clean flask handy to save it.

bushmills is the irish stuff i keep around for guests. i actually like tullamore dew.

people often sadly confuse those disgusting tennessee sour mash whiskeys with kentucky bourbon.
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote: you can find it anywhere in the world – from the Ritz in New York to Baghdad to some tiny village in Indonesia.

But you won't find it with me. If I'm not packing Irish and I can't find any, I'll make Poteen.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:42 pm

word, I still am a scotch man - old school

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 pm

I will be getting stuck into my first bottle of Ardbeg for several years tonight. Hope it's as good as I remember (which is very, very good indeed).

I may go out and get the remainder of the case tomorrow - the source might dry up, as so often happens.
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:word, I still am a scotch man - old school

~James

No you're not.
The Irish were making whiskey before the Scots were. Bushmills is the oldest distillery in the world. If you want to be old school, drink Irish.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby Fenrisco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Fenrisco wrote:Hope it's as good as I remember (which is very, very good indeed).

Good heavens yes; that's the spirit, soldier!
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Mikethehack wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:word, I still am a scotch man - old school

~James

No you're not.
The Irish were making whiskey before the Scots were. Bushmills is the oldest distillery in the world. If you want to be old school, drink Irish.

No

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Mikethehack » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 am

Can't handle the real stuff, eh Jamesie?
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:43 pm

Any recommendations for someone who's only had 12 year-old Chivas?
What should I work my way up to?
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 am

Mikethehack wrote:Can't handle the real stuff, eh Jamesie?

Dude, I will drink anything with alcohol in it

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 am

Texas Carnie Roadshow wrote:Any recommendations for someone who's only had 12 year-old Chivas?
What should I work my way up to?

The Balvenie 12 year old Doublewood.

Its not a blend but it uses two different barrels so people who like blended scotch tend to like it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe