Iraq War Hero 'Wanted To Knock Out Brown

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby Royal » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:27 pm

06 April 2010

I Wanted To Knock Out Gordon Brown

The Victoria Cross winner said he refused to shake Gordon Brown's hand during a Remembrance Day service in November.
Lance Corporal Beharry said he was moved to act after the Prime Minister fidgeted during a two-minute silence.

"All that was going through my head was to knock him out. I decided I'd get his attention and let him know how I felt," he said.
"When he offered his hand to me I just turned round and walked away. I wanted him to think about his actions and it worked."

He said the Prime Minister also seemed "totally disinterested" at a Downing Street reception for servicemen a year earlier.
"This is nothing to do with the election, or who I want to be PM. My problem is with him personally, Gordon Brown the man," he added.

Mr Brown has written to L/Cpl Beharry to "reassure him of his personal admiration and great respect in which he is held by the whole country," his official spokesman said.
He had been "delighted" to host the 2008 event at No 10 and "pleased to be able to be introduced to a man he admires greatly," the spokesman continued.
"The Prime Minister has the utmost respect and admiration for L/Cpl Beharry, who has shown great courage serving our country," he added.

L/Cpl Beharry, from 1st Battalion Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, became the first living recipient of the Victoria Cross since 1965.
He was given the honour after twice braving enemy fire to save colleagues in Iraq.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Return to Black Flag Cafe