UK: secrecy; government loses again

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

UK: secrecy; government loses again

Postby Penta » Tue May 04, 2010 11:12 pm

The Court of Appeal is doing sterling work again:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8659567.stm
in a strongly-worded ruling, the Master of the Rolls Lord Neuberger, sitting with two other senior Court of Appeal judges, said that no damages hearing could be heard in secret because the courts had not been empowered by Parliament to withhold evidence from the claimants.
"In our view, the principle that a litigant should be able to see and hear all the evidence which is seen and heard by a court determining his case is so fundamental, so embedded in the common law, that, in the absence of parliamentary authority, no judge should override it," said Lord Neuberger.

I like this timely reminder from Liberty too:
Corinna Ferguson, a lawyer at campaign group Liberty, said: "Yet again, the Court of Appeal has sent the strongest signal to the security establishment that it cannot play fast and loose with the rule of law.
"Fair and open justice belongs to people not governments. Whoever governs us from Friday would be wise to bear this in mind."
Shes never interfered with me. I have no complaints about her.
Same here.
Mega ditto.
I met her once and I found her to be a nice lady. Not kookey in any way.
Penta has always been gracious, kind and very sane in all my interactions with her.
Penta
Ruby Tuesday

Return to Black Flag Cafe