Viktor Bout: Man in the dock

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Viktor Bout: Man in the dock

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:03 pm

Alphabet wrote:
Kurt wrote:I know two BFCers whom I liked and a third one I hate who got off easy in Cuba because the Cuban Government did not want to deal with anything.

So "Locked Up Abroad" lied to me? Oof. I need to reevaluate my life. :)

God, that show is depressing.

I answered a craigslist ad to take a vacation to Thailand and next thing I know I am in a jail without a bed for 20 years.

Then that show where they show Customs people interrogating idiots who got duped into being Mules coming home. One guy was a 70 something Dominican who could not fucking read, and I just stopped watching.

If they did a show about going after real smugglers who were loaded and had a small army it would be like "Tonight on To Catch a Smuggler we go after El Chivo, the ruthless...Speaking of Ruthless my wife Ruth was just decapitated and a photograph of her head was texted to me....Next on To Catch a Smuggler we go after an elderly and illiterate simpleton who could not read the sign about not taking packages packed by others for other people on the plane. Fuck that guy."
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:13 pm

Kurt wrote:
Alphabet wrote:
Kurt wrote:I know two BFCers whom I liked and a third one I hate who got off easy in Cuba because the Cuban Government did not want to deal with anything.

So "Locked Up Abroad" lied to me? Oof. I need to reevaluate my life. :)

God, that show is depressing.

I answered a craigslist ad to take a vacation to Thailand and next thing I know I am in a jail without a bed for 20 years.

Then that show where they show Customs people interrogating idiots who got duped into being Mules coming home. One guy was a 70 something Dominican who could not fucking read, and I just stopped watching.

If they did a show about going after real smugglers who were loaded and had a small army it would be like "Tonight on To Catch a Smuggler we go after El Chivo, the ruthless...Speaking of Ruthless my wife Ruth was just decapitated and a photograph of her head was texted to me....Next on To Catch a Smuggler we go after an elderly and illiterate simpleton who could not read the sign about not taking packages packed by others for other people on the plane. Fuck that guy."

I've never seen the ones where old people got banged up. Not doubting you, just haven't viewed them.

In my defense, there's like 5 different shows on the subject, and the only ones I like are Miami and Colombia because the latina agents must literally spraypaint their uniforms on. So, distracted.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:08 am

No wonder the russkies wanted him back so badly. Who better to scrounge all the 152 mm artillery shells hidden around world than the guy who sold them in then first place? I'm guessing Mr Bout won't be idle for long.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:09 am

snaark wrote:No wonder the russkies wanted him back so badly. Who better to scrounge all the 152 mm artillery shells hidden around world than the guy who sold them in then first place? I'm guessing Mr Bout won't be idle for long.

Couldn't they get stuff from N Korea? Heritage of Soviet-era weapons and probably has some unused stuff laying around. The logistics of getting it out and over to Ukraine might be the hardest part.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:42 am

The N Korea thing is apparently disputed amongst the OSINT crowd. Shit from all the world has shown up though, including most recently mortar rounds from Sudan!
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:56 am

Lol at the teeth nashing. No one had a problem with Bout when he was flying UN Peacekeepers all over Africa, or supplying the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan at the behest of the CIA.

Meanwhile, every defense company in the US is laundering billions through the war in Ukraine that isn't even remotely our business...But that's different.

Grow up.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Alphabet wrote: spraypaint their uniforms on.

Welcome back!
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Alphabet » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:04 pm

snaark wrote:The N Korea thing is apparently disputed amongst the OSINT crowd. Shit from all the world has shown up though, including most recently mortar rounds from Sudan!

Wait...I thought the Ruskies were defeated and had no more missiles?

Is that why we're giving them Patriot systems?

Next you'll tell me Ghost of Kyiv and Miss Ukraine sniper and that Poland thing weren't real after all.

Shocking.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:54 pm

Worst prisoner swap in history.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:28 am

ROB wrote:Worst prisoner swap in history.

I get what Kurt said, about forgetting shit in your luggage. I've done the same (and got through TSA). But, the other part is willingly traveling to a place that is actively in engaged in a major war and is currently an enemy, looking for any excuse to fuck with Americans. There's plenty of places I'd like to go and see in Russia but I also know it's going to be a while before I do so. Don't fuck with drugs in foreign countries.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:14 pm

Apparently Bout is now running for office as a representative of one of Putin’s friendly opposition parties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/10/world/europe/russia-bout-arms-dealing-politics.html
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:02 pm

I'd vote for him.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe