Is Iraq occupation going to get easier? 3 GIs killed today

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Do you think military occupation will get easier or harder over the next year?

Easier
26%
Harder
58%
I do not know
16%

Total votes : 19

Is Iraq occupation going to get easier? 3 GIs killed today

Postby GeneTherapy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:23 am

I am curious to know if people here think it is going to get easier or harder for the military occupation in Iraq?

Here is a link to today's bad news: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=4660881

Three U.S. Soldiers Killed in Ambushes in Iraq
Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:18 AM ET

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Two U.S. soldiers were killed and four wounded in two separate attacks on convoys in Iraq on Thursday, the U.S. military said.
In the morning, a roadside bomb exploded near the town of Baquba, 40 miles north of the capital, killing one U.S. soldier and wounding two.

In the afternoon, insurgents attacked another convoy east of the restive town of Falluja, 32 miles west of the capital, killing one Marine and injuring two with a combination of a roadside bomb, rocket-propelled grenades and small arms.

A U.S. Army spokesman also announced that on Wednesday insurgents had killed a soldier and wounded another in a gun battle just north of Baghdad. U.S. soldiers returned fire and killed three attackers.

The clashes brought to 399 the number of U.S. troops killed in action in Iraq since the start of the U.S.-led war just over one year ago.

Iraqi insurgents most often attack U.S. patrols and convoys using what are called improvised explosive devices -- small amounts of explosive hidden in a soft drink can or similar disguise and wired to a simple detonator.

The roadside bombs have increasingly been followed by small arms fire or grenade attack
I am not gay, thank you for asking.

freegene2002@yahoo.com
GeneTherapy

Obviously, harder

Postby asterisk » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 pm

Hey Gene. I am assuming that is you, Mr. Therapy. I was glad to see your post. Now, once and for all, FUG can know that I, *, am not the "faggot Gene." How sweet it is.

Hey, I think reasonable people on this board have been saying it is going to get worse in Iraq, and it may never get better as "Iraq" may cease to exist if the place erupts into civil war.
asterisk

I gave a conditional "Easier"...

Postby Aegis » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:45 pm

Its conditional in that I think the occupation will get easier as long as the vast majority of the violence remains confined to the "sunni triangle," as it has been dubbed.

whether it remains contained there or not will depend on how the coalition deals with the violence there, and how they manage affairs in the rest of the country.
"[R]emember, Roman, these will be your arts: to teach the ways of peace to those you conquer, to spare defeated peoples, tame the proud."

-Virgil, the Aeneid
Aegis
BFCus Regularus

Location: The dark heart of "Red" Oregon... or I guess its "Blue" Oregon now.

Return to Black Flag Cafe