First Sikh to become U.S. army soldier

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

First Sikh to become U.S. army soldier

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:37 pm

First Sikh to become U.S. army soldier for nearly three decades
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z155vYYxUQ

The first Sikh to become an enlisted U.S. Army soldier in nearly three decades is eager to move on to training as a combat medic and defend his new homeland on the battlefield.

'When the bullets begin flying, it doesn't concern anyone what religion you are - I bleed the same colour,' said Simranpreet Lamba, 26, after his graduation ceremony from basic combat training.

Sikhism, a 500-year-old religion founded in India, requires its male followers to wear a turban and beard and keep their hair uncut. Army policies since 1984 had effectively prevented Sikhs from enlisting by barring those items.

But Lamba was granted a rare exception because he has skills the Army wants - the Indian languages Hindi and Punjabi.

Before him, two Sikhs joined the Army as medical officers earlier this year. But Lamba is the first enlisted man since the policy barring religious articles of clothing.

Lamba said his black turban, full beard, unshorn hair and religious beliefs posed no problems during his ten weeks of training.

During training, he wore a camouflage turban under his Kevlar helmet.

He used petroleum jelly to get a tight grip between his beard and gas mask, and was able to keep his hair clean under all conditions, meeting all the military's concerns about training and appearance.

'I am proud to be a Sikh, I'm proud to be a U.S. citizen, and proud to be a U.S. Army soldier,' he said.

The Sikhs were founded as a warrior group meant to fight against injustice and inequality, said Lamba, who trained at Fort Jackson in South Carolina, so adopting Army values was easy for him.

Lamba's battalion commander, Lieutenant Colonel Bryan Hernandez said: 'The Sikhs are warriors in Indian culture. Once our soldiers heard that, they were all for him.

'It's going to be a good thing for our Army and our nation to have Lamba in the service.'

The native of New Delhi, India, was granted the honour of carrying a red-white-and-blue unit colour flag as the 450 new soldiers paraded in a salute before 3,000 friends and family gathered in the stands.

He went to the U.S. to get a master's degree in industrial engineering at New York University, and thought about enlisting and getting his citizenship.

He did some research, and found that the Army's special forces units were allowed to wear beards, so it occurred to him that he might be able to enter the service.

'I thought, why not fight for this country? It doesn't matter that I wasn't born here,' Lamba said.

After enlisting, it took a 10-month Army review before the service granted him a waiver.

Lamba got some mentoring in advance of taking his big step, said Captain Kamal Kalsi, a fellow Sikh and emergency room physician now based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, who entered the Army in June.

'We talked a lot before he went in,' said Kalsi, a 34-year-old from Riverdale, New Jersey.

He said he wanted to come to Lamba's graduation to wish him well.

Lamba said he would have liked to be an officer like Kalsi, but since he wasn't a citizen, could not do so.

After his four months of training as a combat medic, Lamba said he hoped one day to apply for officer candidate school.

'I feel I am a soldier. I am not a civilian anymore,' he said. 'If I can do it, anyone can.'
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Re: First Sikh to become U.S. army soldier

Postby lok8 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:39 pm

was granted the honour of carrying a red-white-and-blue unit colour flag

Being short is an honor?
Stay behind. don't follow.
lok8
BFCus Regularus

Postby deselby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 pm

I remember there was a guy who wore a Sikh turban on active duty in the US Army back in the late 70s. That was when the army was letting the good times roll.

The army's had a couple of Sikh reservists more recently.

deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Sikhs are industrious, smart, restrained and badass.

As long as we do not do something dumb like attack the Golden Temple (like the KGB convinced Indira Ghandi to do claiming the Sikhs were working with the CIA) things should be fine and they will be a welcome addition to any profession including the US military.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:26 am

This dude is pimp, we need to let more like him in the US

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby AztecDave » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 am

As an Army veteran going on my 25th year of service, I can only say this is just more pure PC bullshit foisted upon the military by persons who do not have the slightest clue a to what is good, or bad, for the military. The current administration has its social agenda, and that's all that counts. It's infinately worse with Obama as president than it was under Clinton. At least he liked pussy. The Army's number one goal now is Diversity. Like that will save us from every evil in the world. Makes me want to puke. The current brass is so emanored with this idea it's beyond silly. It's as if they expect all of our enemies will quiver and fall to their knees in the awesomeness that is our Diversity. If this Sikh's language skills are so fucking critical, why is he a medic & not a HUMINT collector or a CI agent? And if this guy really wants to embrace Diversity, let him be roomates with the first fag that gets to suck cock on Army time. Christ, I cannot wait til I can retire.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:56 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:This dude is pimp, we need to let more like him in the US

~JITW

true
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:12 am

Sikhs are industrious, smart, restrained and badass.

Yes.
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby 2 Charlie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 am

The guy has volunteered has skills, SOLDIER UP.
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby muskrat » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:03 am

These dudes run the tailor racquets across the planet. Most of my suits are made by Sikhs. Yes industrious, civil & reasonably priced.
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Postby deselby » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm

AztecDave wrote:As an Army veteran going on my 25th year of service, I can only say this is just more pure PC bullshit foisted upon the military by persons who do not have the slightest clue a to what is good, or bad, for the military. The current administration has its social agenda, and that's all that counts. It's infinately worse with Obama as president than it was under Clinton. At least he liked pussy. The Army's number one goal now is Diversity. Like that will save us from every evil in the world. Makes me want to puke. The current brass is so emanored with this idea it's beyond silly. It's as if they expect all of our enemies will quiver and fall to their knees in the awesomeness that is our Diversity. If this Sikh's language skills are so fucking critical, why is he a medic & not a HUMINT collector or a CI agent? And if this guy really wants to embrace Diversity, let him be roomates with the first fag that gets to suck cock on Army time. Christ, I cannot wait til I can retire.

Calm down, this was done back in the 70s under President Ford, having Sikhs with turbans in the army. There were some flaming gay guys in back then, too.

They also passed a law to allow yarmulkes for military personnel, it hasn't brought the military down.

The Navy allowed beards when Reagan was president, it also didn't open the door to invasion.

The guy's a medic because he wanted to be a medic, remember guaranteed MOS training in the enlistment contract?
deselby
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:40 am

Kurt wrote:As long as we do not do something dumb like attack the Golden Temple (like the KGB convinced Indira Ghandi to do claiming the Sikhs were working with the CIA) things should be fine and they will be a welcome addition to any profession including the US military.

Yeah that didn't work out so well for her.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby AztecDave » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:46 am

deselby wrote:
AztecDave wrote:As an Army veteran going on my 25th year of service, I can only say this is just more pure PC bullshit foisted upon the military by persons who do not have the slightest clue a to what is good, or bad, for the military. The current administration has its social agenda, and that's all that counts. It's infinately worse with Obama as president than it was under Clinton. At least he liked pussy. The Army's number one goal now is Diversity. Like that will save us from every evil in the world. Makes me want to puke. The current brass is so emanored with this idea it's beyond silly. It's as if they expect all of our enemies will quiver and fall to their knees in the awesomeness that is our Diversity. If this Sikh's language skills are so fucking critical, why is he a medic & not a HUMINT collector or a CI agent? And if this guy really wants to embrace Diversity, let him be roomates with the first fag that gets to suck cock on Army time. Christ, I cannot wait til I can retire.

Calm down, this was done back in the 70s under President Ford, having Sikhs with turbans in the army. There were some flaming gay guys in back then, too.

They also passed a law to allow yarmulkes for military personnel, it hasn't brought the military down.

The Navy allowed beards when Reagan was president, it also didn't open the door to invasion.

The guy's a medic because he wanted to be a medic, remember guaranteed MOS training in the enlistment contract?[/qu

Have you ever served in the military? Didn't think so. You don't know what you are talking about.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Big Duke 6 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:51 am

Haha - while I don't completely agree with you AztecDave - you gave me a chuckle. I appreciate your rawness.
In the case of a nuclear war I wanna be where I can say, "What the fuck was THAT!?"
- Jay Hickman
Big Duke 6
BFCus Regularus

Postby muskrat » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:35 am

........... Didn't think so. You don't know what you are talking about.

I lay goods odds that he does. Your some sort of magnet lately 2C.

M.
the Rat is less about criminality per se but the importance and sheer fun of using one's intellect, skill and willpower to carve a survival niche into whatever inhospitable environment one finds oneself. Damn the imposed morality of the overlords. F
muskrat
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe