First Sikh to become U.S. army soldier

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: First Sikh to become U.S. army soldier

Postby LechoZX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:15 pm

lmetrucking wrote:LechoZX wrote-"But what does that have to do with actually doing field medicine?"

It has absolutley nothing to do with actually doing field medicine.
It has absolutely everything to do with doing field medicine as a combat medic in the United States Army.

Sorry I didn't realize we were being hyper specific now.

Please explain. For some reason I think if there is somebody who needs medical attention they won't care if the guy is wearing a different shaped hat.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 pm

LechoZX wrote:
lmetrucking wrote:LechoZX wrote-"But what does that have to do with actually doing field medicine?"

It has absolutely everything to do with doing field medicine as a combat medic in the United States Army.

Please explain. For some reason I think if there is somebody who needs medical attention they won't care if the guy is wearing a different shaped hat.

There is a time and place to stand out as an individual, to be free to express the very essence of your being with clothes, hats, hairstyles, or any other way you can dream up. That is provided for us courtesy of our forefathers.
That time and place is not while you are serving in the United States Military.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:44 pm

lmetrucking wrote:There is a time and place to stand out as an individual, to be free to express the very essence of your being with clothes, hats, hairstyles, or any other way you can dream up. That is provided for us courtesy of our forefathers.

Way to avoid the question. Good job.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm

LechoZX wrote:

You can serve a perfectly grilled, medium rare, dry aged porterhouse steak in a clown outfit, but there isn't a respectable steakhouse in the country that has clowns serving steaks.

You can do open-heart surgery in a g-string and pasties so long as you scrub your body well-enough, but there isn't a hospital in the country that is going to let you do open-heart surgery in stripper-wear.

You can be President of the US and do a photo-op with the PM of Germany in a velvet track suit and big gold clock around your neck like Flavor Flav, but there isn't anyone in the world who won't laugh his ass off if they see Obama doing that.

You can wear a Jerry Garcia tie-dyed shirt and flared jeans and drive around in an ambulance saving lives as in EMT, but there isn't a medical center in the country that will let you do that.

Uniforms... everyone's got one... the Sikh has his super-power dictated uniform... the Army has it's uniform... if you want to be in the Army, put down the Sikh-wear (and any practices that don't jive with Army rules), and put on the appropriate uniform and grooming.

Dressing up with big orange towel on your head might win you kudos in Hinduistan... that shit don't fly here... leave the toga, flipflops, and towelhead at home, and bring a razor if you want to join the US Army.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Naveen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Bobby Sands wrote: The military has a uniform for a reason... and the uniform is "uniform" for a reason. If you serve your god or universal force or your anscestor or Vishnu first, then you have no reason to volunteer to serve your country first.

Yes... but not in all religions is that a problem. Sikhs already wear a "uniform" so they have the perfect mentality for military service albeit their external appereance may look un-uniformed. Besides, they don't have a superior sacred nation or place to defend (like Israel, Kaaba or whatever), a superior law or ideal state to follow (like Sharia, a Caliphate or "The Kingdom of God"), they are -oddly enough for a religion- surprisingly tolerant and they are among the best soldiers in India* Personally I think they would make excellent soldiers but perhaps their own regiment, like the gurkas, would be wiser: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... fears.html

*From wikipedia:" Sikhs make up 10–15% of all ranks in the Indian Army and 20% of its officers,[58] while Sikhs only forming 1.87% of the Indian population, which makes them over 10 times more likely to be a soldier and officer in the Indian Army than the average Indian.[59]"
Naveen
BFCus Regularus

Postby lmetrucking » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:53 pm

LechoZX wrote:
lmetrucking wrote:There is a time and place to stand out as an individual, to be free to express the very essence of your being with clothes, hats, hairstyles, or any other way you can dream up. That is provided for us courtesy of our forefathers.

I already hyper-specifically answered your question.
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Looks like an Army uniform to me. It's not like he's wearing sandals and a snake charmer vest.

I can think of at least one good reason why all the above aren't done so your silly analogies don't apply.

All I'm saying is somebody give me good reasoning not a bullshit moto why wearing a different hat affects how he does his job. In fact, the article said that he wore the turban under the helmet so would anybody even notice it? That is why I'd like somebody with military experience to tell me.

Also, don't be rediculous. You're getting your impression of what soliders should wear from the movies. If you read the Army uniform regulations they are more strict guidelines rather than "Wear this exact thing or else".

1–7. Personal appearance policies
a. General. The Army is a uniformed service where discipline is judged, in part, by the manner in which a soldier
wears a prescribed uniform, as well as by the individual’s personal appearance. Therefore, a neat and well-groomed
appearance by all soldiers is fundamental to the Army and contributes to building the pride and esprit essential to an
effective military force. A vital ingredient of the Army’s strength and military effectiveness is the pride and selfdiscipline
that American soldiers bring to their Service through a conservative military image. It is the responsibility of
commanders to ensure that military personnel under their command present a neat and soldierly appearance. Therefore,
in the absence of specific procedures or guidelines, commanders must determine a soldier’s compliance with standards
in this regulation. Soldiers must take pride in their appearance at all times, in or out of uniform, on and off duty. Pride
in appearance includes soldiers’ physical fitness and adherence to acceptable weight standards, in accordance with AR
600–9.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby LechoZX » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 pm

lmetrucking wrote:
LechoZX wrote:

I already hyper-specifically answered your question.

No you didn't. I asked you to tell me why which head gear somebody is wearing has "absolutely everything to do with doing field medicine as a combat medic in the United States Army". I am honestly asking. All I got was some bullshit canned response.
Blah person
LechoZX
BFCus Regularus

Postby Atrax » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 am

The people throwing a fit about this dude and his turban are the same twats who throw a tantrum when it's 130F and I roll up my sleeves, or remove my glove to shake the hand of a Mukhtar. The bottom line is that he has relevant skills and is volunteering to serve when most people can claim neither. This fanatical adherence to AR 670-1 is fine if you are a Drill Sergeant or 1SG of some supply company, but has no place in a wartime Army.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby warrior/poet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:43 am

I think the sikh turban might even be an improvement on this:

They do look a bit similar...

"Seems as if the panic is mostly with the media and the government..."
warrior/poet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah, it's all good... next we can let these lady soldiers join in their religiously dictated garb:

I mean, they got the requisite skills, right? And they gotta wear that stuff to be kosher with their god, right?

Come on, get some:

Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby Bobby Sands » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm

Come on Rasta soldier:

Bring the dreads, the beads and the voodoo stick... it's part of your religion, my man.

Jah Army, my man, Jah Army.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

Postby boygeneral » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:18 am

I am 61 years old, a US Air Force (Vietnam) veteran from 1968-70. I am also a Sikh-American. I proudly serve in the Department of Homeland Security. Its a shame many of the posts by our servicemen are so ignorant and foolish in their comments of Sikhs who have served or currently are serving. A little history for you who care to read. The first Sikh (Bhagat Singh Thind) enlisted in Washington State in 1917 and was a sergeant in the US ARMY. He never went to France but many of his fellow Punjabi Sikhs served in the trenches of France in British regiments and battalions. Three were awarded the Victorian Cross. None wore helmets. In 1941-45 in Burma, Singapore, N. Africa, Sikhs fought in British regiments again dying in two fronts along side your great grandfather and grandfathers and uncles. In all seven were awarded Victorian Crosses in those two World Wars.
Even in the Civil War, 100s of Indian nationals (some Sikhs without turbans) served in the UNION army. They were British educated and took Anglo or Hispanic names, but that is ancient history to some of you guys.
A Sikh is buried at the National Cemetery at Arlington. His names is Uday Singh (Section #60). He died a private and was posthumously promoted to Sergeant. was awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star. His father fought in Indian Army (with turban) and his grandfather in WWII in a British regiment with turban.
FYI, no Sikh in any war has worn a helmet. Turbans did stop bullets according to British Field Marshals (Generals) and fearlessly fought both Germans and Japanese, often outnumbered.
You may want to remember Green Berets in Vietnam didn't wear helmets either. Were they whimps?

From 1974-1980 (Before the god Ronald Reagan became POTUS), there were 300 Sikhs soldiers in the US Army. Many who stayed in for 24-30 years were either Majors, Colonels, or Chief Warrant Officers. One was a Chaplain.
ALL of you should be grateful Sikhs have joined the US military. It will do nothing but good. Maybe familiarize yourselves with Sikh history. The only man to rule, Afghanistan from outside it was a Sikh Maharajah name Ranjit Singh (1839). He ruled the Punjab (now Pakistan) including norhwest India, Kashmir over to Tibet. The British could not defeat him after fighting 4 wars. Once he died, the British took over India and ruled it until 1947.
Of course all this history means nothing to fools who have closed hearts and think they are tough. Well God bless you dear men of the Army. One day if it applies you may see the light.
boygeneral

Postby lok8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:30 am

Pretty sure every one here is on board with the Sihk.

as some one that rites entirely too much shit- source before ye speak- sir
Stay behind. don't follow.
lok8
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bobby Sands » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:58 am

boygeneral wrote:FYI, no Sikh in any war has worn a helmet. Turbans did stop bullets according to British Field Marshals (Generals)

OK, whateva, you guys won't wear a helmet... another reason to tell you to get lost. Yeah, I don't care if you're a fifth-level grand wizard of the turtlewax sect from East Rumpskillian, you can join the army so long as you conform to the rules... however, if your goofy religion says you gotta wear black Nike high-tops at all times, well, IMO, you should be told to fuck off.
Bobby Sands
Sword of Damocles

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe